What's new

Driving a manual transmission.your thoughts.your experiences.

The Audi A1 as an example:

1.4TFSI 90KW SB Attraction S-Tr. Automaat Benzine € 24.280
1.4TFSI 90KW SB Attraction Handgeschakeld Benzine € 22.730

The manual is € 1.550 less expensive!

As long as automatic transmissions remain considerably more expensive than manuals, they will not catch on.

Like Honda shows with their new NC750 motorcycle; when you price the auto competitively, even motorbikers are willing to change!

Like Honda shows with their new NC750 motorcycle; when you price the auto competitively, even motorbikers are willing to change!

I said it before, but I will say it again ... I don't mind other people driving auto, but they better keep the manual available too! :cursing:

Forgot about motorcycles. In my case...manual on a '78 Yamaha SR500 and....a '67 Matchless 750cc Scrambler.

My first experience with a manual transmission was when I was learning how to ride. My family always had automatics since I was born (early 70s). I never had the opportunity to learn manual. Once I got my bike it wasn't long before I had to replace my car (accident). Next car was manual.

I ride an NC700...but the problem I have with the auto/manual thing (even for cars) is that the manual is sort of relegated as the "standard-entry model." For the NC700, I couldn't get ABS without the stupid auto. I liked the bike too much to not get it, but do wished I had the option for ABS.

But there are certain times where you really want an auto like in stop-and-go traffic or long trip.

Can't say that this is a game changer for me. I live in downtown Toronto and drive pretty much daily in and out of the city and I have had manuals since I was 16, I'm 50 now. Stop and go is not an issue and long trips are a breeze.

I learned to drive on a manual, always preferred manual, but the only reason I don't have one now is that my wife's severe rheumatoid arthritis limits her to an automatic.

Ultimately, is it really so important whether a car has a manual or automatic transmission?

Important enough to examine from all points of view in a long thread for entertainment and social discussion? Yes.

What level of importance is signified by "Ultimately, is it really so important"?

My first experience with a manual transmission was when I was learning how to ride. My family always had automatics since I was born (early 70s). I never had the opportunity to learn manual. Once I got my bike it wasn't long before I had to replace my car (accident). Next car was manual.

In my jurisdiction when I got my license there were two types of licenses. Either you got an automatic or a manual. I got the manual license, which meant I had to demonstrate my proficiency driving a standard.

I ride an NC700...but the problem I have with the auto/manual thing (even for cars) is that the manual is sort of relegated as the "standard-entry model." For the NC700, I couldn't get ABS without the stupid auto. I liked the bike too much to not get it, but do wished I had the option for ABS.
ABS is mandatory on all new bikes here. So the manual version is offered with ABS as well.

Important enough to examine from all points of view in a long thread for entertainment and social discussion? Yes.

What level of importance is signified by "Ultimately, is it really so important"?

That I probably would be perfectly happy with an automatic, provided that it was not more expensive than the manual. And that maintenance would not be costlier (don't know if it is). The reality is that an automatic transmission is a "luxury option" here.

In general, the less time you spend fiddling with the mechanics, the more time you can spend on watching the road, and anticipating and reacting.

Ultimately, is it really so important whether a car has a manual or automatic transmission?

It is for me. When test driving new cars I didn't even look at any that weren't available in a stick. Except the Tesla, but it has no transmission at all.

That I probably would be perfectly happy with an automatic, provided that it was not more expensive than the manual. And that maintenance would not be costlier (don't know if it is). The reality is that an automatic transmission is a "luxury option" here.

In general, the less time you spend fiddling with the mechanics, the more time you can spend on watching the road, and anticipating and reacting.

See what you did there? On the one hand, you dismiss the importance of even debating/discussing the merits of one over the other, manual or automatic - then go on to say (I think..) that automatics are inherently better, due to the fact you have less fiddling to do, leaving more time to anticipate and react.

It would seem you have attached some importance to the difference after all - :001_smile.

-s

Manual. My Dad was wise enough that when he got me my first car, he got me a stick so when I learned how to drive that, I would be able to drive anything. Very glad he did. I've owned automatics since then and I don't mind them for larger, heavier vehicles with large motors. But I refuse to buy or own any 4 cylinder vehicle with an automatic transmission.

In 2012 I went shopping for a new car. I knew I wanted a good, reliable, economy car but with a touch of sportiness. I found myself a nice Corolla S with a manual. In 10 years when the motor isn't new and performing at it's peak, I'll still be flying up hills.

I like the extra control of a manual that just isn't there with an auto. Whether it's pushing the motor near it's redline when taking off, or downshifting just before going into a corner, there's a level of control that isn't available without a manual.

I've never driven an auto.

But the less distraction, the better.

There is a common argument for manuals proposing that they involve less distraction, through two mechanisms -- requiring both of your hands to drive, and requiring you to actually look ahead at the road lest you find yourself in the wrong gear at the wrong time.

There is a common argument for manuals proposing that they involve less distraction, through two mechanisms -- requiring both of your hands to drive, and requiring you to actually look ahead at the road lest you find yourself in the wrong gear at the wrong time.

I concur with this. Driving a manual seem much less likely to encourage distracting activities. The actual gear changing process itself does not in any way distract. You become one with the machine, and your eyes are wide open, looking at only the road. I feel way more connected with the driving experience with manual.

Not the way it works with me. I shift by ear....know the rpm the engine needs to be and can 'hear' where it needs to be...if you get my drift.

I never, ever look at the shifter....I know exactly where the gearshift is at all times.....it's all quite natural to an experienced driver.

Not the way it works with me. I shift by ear....know the rpm the engine needs to be and can 'hear' where it needs to be...if you get my drift.

I never, ever look at the shifter....I know exactly where the gearshift is at all times.....it's all quite natural to an experienced driver.

+1
I miss my Honda V-Tecs a lot ... I could shift gears without the ECON lamp turn off, for those who know what I'm talking about, that is not for everyone.

The pic shows how a real car looks like! :001_tt2: JK! :biggrin1:

Attachments

• $SFPLImage85221.jpg
    $SFPLImage85221.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 65
Top Bottom