What's new

Driving a manual transmission.your thoughts.your experiences.

Was just talking to someone...they told us how a couple of their close friends got robbed outside of the DC area. Guy comes up behind as they were entering their home. He asked for the keys to their car. They gave it to him and watched the guy get into their car only to jump back out and start running down the street. Their car was a manual and came to the conclusion that he didn't know how to drive one, lol. It reminded me of this picture:

$stick.jpg

Was just talking to someone...they told us how a couple of their close friends got robbed outside of the DC area. Guy comes up behind as they were entering their home. He asked for the keys to their car. They gave it to him and watched the guy get into their car only to jump back out and start running down the street. Their car was a manual and came to the conclusion that he didn't know how to drive one, lol. It reminded me of this picture:

View attachment 433618

A good one. My city had the unfortunate, but true reputation a few years ago as the Canadian city with the most cars stolen. During this period...since addressed well...there were a number of instances where the car thieves, in their attempts to steal a car...were completely flummoxed if it had a standard.

Of course, it is well known that car thieves are..... 'maroons'..... as Bugs used to say.

This is true. Plus, with our gas prices I don't think huge V6 and V8 engines,which usually come associated with automatic transmissions, will become more popular anytime soon.

I remember driving in the 1960's. Huge V8's...327, 350 and 396 cubic inches of raw Chevy power...all of them behind a 4 speed Muncie with a Hurst shifter.

Heaven.

The 396 Rat motor had 375 conservatively rated HP....many enthusiasts thought it was closer to 420-430 hp. I miss 30 cent a gallon gas...35 cents.....for premium. :001_smile

But on the other hand...I did live and enjoy that Golden era of big power V8's....which not every body can say.

I remember driving in the 1960's. Huge V8's...327, 350 and 396 cubic inches of raw Chevy power...all of them behind a 4 speed Muncie with a Hurst shifter.

Heaven.

The 396 Rat motor had 375 conservatively rated HP....many enthusiasts thought it was closer to 420-430 hp. I miss 30 cent a gallon gas...35 cents.....for premium. :001_smile

But on the other hand...I did live and enjoy that Golden era of big power V8's....which not every body can say.

Well over 400 easy, a lot more after a few bucks and an afternoon in the garage - of all the cars I had back then the '69 Chevelle SS was my favorite. The next year they dropped the 396* and went to the 454 along with different body lines for the '70, I hated the new look and could still (on a good day) get out in front of the '70, 454 or not. I miss those days. My Muncie was the close ratio version, and for a while I went with a pistol grip shifter (I thought it looked cool..), but turns out Hurst really did know what they were doing :001_smile.

* by '69 the 396 was a 402 - they just stuck with the 396 badge, it had a following.

-s

A good one. My city had the unfortunate, but true reputation a few years ago as the Canadian city with the most cars stolen. During this period...since addressed well...there were a number of instances where the car thieves, in their attempts to steal a car...were completely flummoxed if it had a standard.

Of course, it is well known that car thieves are..... 'maroons'..... as Bugs used to say.

Funny you say that.
The only car I ever had stolen from me was back in '96, a Chevy Cavalier with a 5 speed manual transmission. Stolen from the TTC parking lot on Warden Ave in Scarborough.

I've driven both. Simply I prefer automatic even though I'm 23 and all my friends say I'm nuts:). Yes, manual gives you more control, but with dual-clutch like DSG from VW or the 8-gear automatic from BMW I must say automatic is a joy and would never go back to a manual. I was a bit sceptic regarding the automatic transmission especially the dual-clutch. That's all I'm going to say, try an automatic and a manual on the same car specs and decide... :)

I prefer manual - drove one for over 20 years. Been driving an auto for just 4 years and don't care for it. It is a pleasure to drive the stick, much more engaging and aware of traffic patterns. I wonder if manual drivers have lower accident rates?

A manual transmission is darn hard to find these days u less the car is stripped down. I could care less that an auto or CVT gets better mileage, I prefer the control and fun of the manual transmission.

I could care less that an auto or CVT gets better mileage, I prefer the control and fun of the manual transmission.
Most people do care though, so when prices of autos come down, I think many will choose an auto.

I've never driven an auto, but I would be willing to try it as well.

Manual is always way more fun for sure. But there are certain times where you really want an auto like in stop-and-go traffic or long trips. I just came back from Niagara Falls, a 5:30h drive from home. Took my big BMW that is auto. The ultimate highway machine IMHO. Extremely comfy and perfect for long trips. You almost want to sleep in it. LOL
For fun drives on nice days I have two sports cars, one two seater convertible and a two seater coupe with a gated shifter (both 6-speed manual). Not sure if you guys ever tried a gated shifter but the clunking sound of metal on metal is amazing and a pleasure to drive.
Resuming: the right tool for the job ahead :lol:

CR

Manual is always way more fun for sure. But there are certain times where you really want an auto like in stop-and-go traffic or long trips. I just came back from Niagara Falls, a 5:30h drive from home. Took my big BMW that is auto.

That is a thing of course ... for us in the smaller countries, 2 hours already is a long drive. Probably our traffic and roads are different too. And large cars are definitely a disadvantage in the cities, which is why small but luxurious cars are popular.

That is a thing of course ... for us in the smaller countries, 2 hours already is a long drive. Probably our traffic and roads are different too. And large cars are definitely a disadvantage in the cities, which is why small but luxurious cars are popular.

I'm interested in learning what are the small luxurious cars that are popular where you live?

Matt Miller - of Bloomberg news - recently interviewed a hand full of European automobile manufacturer executives.

In every interview I remember him saying, "I like to drive a manual transmission. Can I get this <insert car of the moment> with a manual transmission?"

Every exec I remember answered the same: "Americans want automatic transmissions."

I expect my 1980 CJ7 will be the last vehicle I drive with a manual transmission. Actually, given Jeep CJ's safety record, it may be the last vehicle I drive.

If you understand why it's worth the risk, you're probably a Jeeper.

We that enjoy driving a stick are in the minority, it seems.

That's not surprising given that we're shaving like it's 1939.

-Jon

This pic made me chuckle:

attachment.php

I took a '69 Bronco in for state inspection at the corner quick shop/oil change place. The guy got into the truck and got very confused with the 3-on-the-tree. Another guy who knew how to do it went bananas when he found out it was there and slobbered when he did the inspection. That was a fun truck to tinker with.

Nowadays I drive a '12 Civic Si with 6 speed. A fun car to drive with a stick.

Funny you say that.
The only car I ever had stolen from me was back in '96, a Chevy Cavalier with a 5 speed manual transmission. Stolen from the TTC parking lot on Warden Ave in Scarborough.

You sir...have a better, more educated class of auto thieves in the East....than we have in Western Canada ! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom