What's new

Drivers today - is it just me?

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
:)

I don’t have a ton of driving experience in other countries, but what I’ve seen in some make drivers in the US seem tame. Driving in downtown San Jose, Costa Rica was absolutely crazy. Traffic laws were more like suggestions and there were people on vespa scooters weaving in and out of traffic onto the sidewalks and back again. The countryside in CR was much better to drive in.
Speaking of Vespas, my son was in Rome last summer for a few days. Trying to cross the street on foot was kind of like being in the middle of a wild bronc race.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I grew up in Chicago and now live in northern Illinois. I can’t add much to what’s already been said. I guess my favorite observation is when church lets out. All that brotherly love until you want out of that parking lot.

I’m in Mexico now and occasionally take a cab into Puerto Vallarta. To me it’s crazy and somehow it works. No one gets angry, no mister digit hand puppet. No problem, all in a days commute.

I heard an observation years ago.
There are more horses as**s in the world than horses. Just hop n the car and you’ll see.

In just the past week this has happened to me.

Two lanes same direction. I am in left lane approaching a red light. Lady is in right lane in front of me approaching red light but she is traveling a bit slower. Just as I get right up to her she makes a hard left turn in front of me and drives across my lane, across the left turn lane and across the two lanes of opposing traffic. If I had not slammed on my brakes I would have t-boned her at a slow rate of speed. Why did she do this? Well, she realized the office she was trying to find was over on THAT corner.

Two days later am on a tollway moving along in the right lane but traffic slows up ahead in all lanes. As I brake I glance in my rear view mirror and see an old Nissan SUV flying along in my lane but straddling my lane and the one to the right. I edged over to my left as much as I dared and some guy went whipping by just missing my rear bumper as he hurtled off down the shoulder. The thing is, he kept right on at the same speed until out of sight.

I have a vehicle that is pretty safe and pretty heavy but I am thinking of upgrading to what @HazMat Shaver is at the wheel of!

Around here they seem to be not just aggressive but dang mad. I live in an area that is kind of "you can't get there from here". No through streets and lots of wandering around with seemingly randomly placed 2 or 4 way stops every block or so . I'm pretty sure I'll pull up to one someday and there will be people rolling around in the dirt trying to decide whos turn it is.

Yes…..Speeding, over-honking, cutting off, on cell phone, no signals, tailgating, pushing, shoving, shooting the finger, sudden stops…..and that’s just the Walmart parking lot which does not include the chaos the shoppers display inside in the aisles!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yes…..Speeding, over-honking, cutting off, on cell phone, no signals, tailgating, pushing, shoving, shooting the finger, sudden stops…..and that’s just the Walmart parking lot which does not include the chaos the shoppers display inside in the aisles!
Honking is something I will not do anymore. Drives the wife nuts, but too much road rage out there. It is not worth it. Worse comes to worse I turn off on a side street or exit the freeway, drive around to let the fool get down the road, then get back on my way.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
which does not include the chaos the shoppers display inside in the aisles!
What gets on my nerves is when someone leaves their shopping cart in the middle of the aisle, so nobody can get through to the right or left. Unaware or don't care.

Reactions: ctr

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
my dad always told stories of driving in the Philippines like it was a free-for-all.
free-for-all is a very kind way of putting it.
You actually get used to it after a while, and it isn't that bad. In fact I prefer driving in Manila despite the traffic than on the rural roads out in the provinces.
In the provinces, they dry rice on the road several times a year, so you have to watch out for logs blocking part of the road so you don't drive over their rice.
Then there are the lumbering water buffalo walking down the road to be concerned about out in the province, all the much worse at night because water buffalo don't have tail lights! :lol1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
free-for-all is a very kind way of putting it.
You actually get used to it after a while, and it isn't that bad. In fact I prefer driving in Manila despite the traffic than on the rural roads out in the provinces.
In the provinces, they dry rice on the road several times a year, so you have to watch out for logs blocking part of the road so you don't drive over their rice.
Then there are the lumbering water buffalo walking down the road to be concerned about out in the province, all the much worse at night because water buffalo don't have tail lights! :lol1:
Do their horns work? :)

One out of every three drivers in the states is now under the influence of something. The situation is moving toward perilous in areas I frequently travel.

The police here are begging people to pay attention. High rates of accidents and many fatalities including pedestrians.

It is bad.

Honking is something I will not do anymore. Drives the wife nuts, but too much road rage out there. It is not worth it. Worse comes to worse I turn off on a side street or exit the freeway, drive around to let the fool get down the road, then get back on my way.

This.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
We've got a highway on the other side of the river here that is one of the deadliest spots in a province that also has a different road known as "The Highway Through Hell." Five wrecks with multiple fatalities in about three weeks lately. Just a couple days ago a pair of transport truck drivers coordinated via radio to box in, pull over, berate, photograph and threaten to beat the stuffing out of an idiot transport truck driver who blew out the end of a passing lane into oncoming traffic, then cut off the guy he was bound and determined to pass before almost going off the road on the rebound.

My conscience isn't entirely at ease; back in the "group of motorcycle enthusiasts" days the double yellow was the perfect passing lane, just as wide as the bike.

My dad used to flash the lights instead of honk. He always said a guy who would pull out in front of you probably has the radio on too loud and wouldn't hear the horn, but he's probably also keeping one eye out for flashing lights. :)

O.H.

When I was just a kid my father decided to make a trip to Tijuana Mexico to got to Caliente Horse Track.

We walk across California Border into TJ. Cabs are every where. My day says he want to go to Horse track.

He haggles for a price, we clim in 50’s something Chev, the driver was in hurry to finish trip. The only way I cold describe ride was Mr. Toads Wild Ride at Disney was nothing.

Thought we would crash, roll, or die. Yes we did make it safe both way, and both tripe were scary.

They Mexican Taxis were not in tip top shape, no seat belts, msny close calls going and coming to track.

No return trip to TJ Horse Track, thought might be pushing luck.

Top Bottom