What's new

Drivers today - is it just me?

They are very aggressive here (Singapore) and careless of other road users. Jumping red lights is the norm, as is being too close to the vehicle in front, not signalling and pulling out into traffic causing on-coming traffic to have to slow - all big no-nos when I was learning to drive. I never drive here and avoid cabs when I can, preferring the MRT.

Agresive, arogant, not folowing the rulles of the road. Terrible at parking. It's simple, too many cars and everybody has licence, why bother with tests is everybody gets the licence. Sadly same thing is with the ships, on daily basis I have to brake the ruls just to avoid some idiot who doesen't know how to navigate.
On the bright side
1m7tj3.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I sure have noticed it here, even on the 20mph residential roads on which I drive. Tailgating is common as well as unsafe overtaking in a desperate attempt to get a few car lengths further up the road. The sad thing is that most of them are driving to work, they must have better jobs than I. Rushing home I could just about understand, but rushing to work? I take my time going to work - and I work at home.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Formerly, rush hour was an hour. Now it seems like most of the day it looks like rush hour. Too many cars with too many drivers who are apparently late for something.

But as long as I'm not driving near Boston I can handle most of them.

The George Carlin bit is perfect. I do find that drivers tend to fall in either the "aggressive" category, or are so terrified that they never move. I know in my area (Indianapolis), there's so much construction happening that the lanes/turns you typically take may not be available the next day. That certainly doesn't help. Also, the month of May makes everyone drive crazy. I wonder if we all are attempting to qualify or something.
I believe a lot of it is based around too many available distractions while driving. Why auto makers insist on making all the vehicular controls via a touch screen/sub menus is beyond me. It's like they've never driven a car before. Combine that with everyone filling their days with so many commitments, and it's no wonder people are in a hurry.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Lots of idiots on the road lately it seems....slow drivers in the left lanes...everyone overtakes them on the right. In the most left lane, then suddenly realizing this is my exit, and zooming across a couple of lanes to get off. And those who sit at the light and checking their phones, turns green and they still sit...drives me nuts. NJ is just too small for all the drivers and cars, especially in my area.

I think it's a worldwide problem. Ireland is the same. I don't know what it's like elsewhere (been many years since I have driven for more than a few weeks in other countries), but certain models of cars seem to attract those who, putting it delicately, could benefit from a refresher driving lesson or two. I always exercise caution in the vicinity of those cars.

I drive for a living. I've been watching it get worse and worse for the last 10 to 12 years. Too many people and too many vehicles!
The three biggest issues I see daily are...
1. Stopping at a red light and then going across the intersection like it was a stop sign.
2. Stopping at the white line at an intersection with the back tires of the car on the line or past the line. Never before the line.
3. Driving bumper to bumper or with one or two car lengths between and doing 80mph at the same time. Darting from one lane to the other just to get in front of another vehicle even if it doesn't save them any time.

The cops are not everywhere and they have much worse things to deal with so they don't bother. My take on the cop's view is when the pile-up of cars happens they will show up and try to clean up the mess. But until then why bother?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
yes, more aggressive, and cell phone usage is a huge issue- it’s why I stopped riding. It was always dangerous, I think phones made it even worse. I had one too many near T bones.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don’t have a ton of driving experience in other countries, but what I’ve seen in some make drivers in the US seem tame. Driving in downtown San Jose, Costa Rica was absolutely crazy. Traffic laws were more like suggestions and there were people on vespa scooters weaving in and out of traffic onto the sidewalks and back again. The countryside in CR was much better to drive in.

They are very aggressive here (Singapore) and careless of other road users. Jumping red lights is the norm, as is being too close to the vehicle in front, not signalling and pulling out into traffic causing on-coming traffic to have to slow - all big no-nos when I was learning to drive. I never drive here and avoid cabs when I can, preferring the MRT.
Well, cross over the bridge to a land where the line in the middle of the road is only a suggestion.

I've actually seen people reading novels, putting on make up, rummaging in the back seat, and a lot more all while driving.

Oh, and I used to ride a motorcycle and let me tell you...drowning yourself in perfume or cologne does not make you a better driver.

Let’s see, people driving 80mph (I have no problem with that) then on any sort of incline they drop down to under 60mph for some reason. On the decline everyone flys be my really fast. I usually have my cruise control on to 4-5mph above the speed limit.

Oh a new trend I’ve been seeing, my blinker is on so I’m changing lanes, now you have to move and let me in. I always thought change lanes when safe to do so, not just because your signal is on.

Oh I’ve seen more people driving in the emergency lanes (breakdown lanes) a lot more now during traffic.

Top Bottom