What's new

Dream Team

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I had half of my dream team on duty tonight.
IMG_8692.jpeg

IMG_8700.jpeg

Even though I carefully selected and researched every piece of cookware in my kitchen, I’m finding myself getting annoyed with my odd pieces but replacing them for no reason other than wanting everything to be the same brand isn’t practical.

For instance, this Made In stock pot will probably last the rest of my life and was a third of the cost. I mean it’s just a stockpot, right? So I’m fighting the urge to replace it.
IMG_8689.jpeg

I picked up the full set of scanpans. They work with induction stoves. Dishwasher safe but not recommended to do regularly. Also no Teflon but still non stick. It ended my mix and matching of pots. I got the Haptiq line. Definitely a big investment but worth it. No more Teflon in my food.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like the fact that similar cookware cooks the same, but matching is out of the question for me. Much of mine (nowhere near all) looks similar because it's copper, but some have cast iron handles, some have brass, some are from the 1800s, most of the rest are from the 1960s and 1970s, and a couple are recent Etsy finds. Can you tell I started collecting in the 1960s?). Except for one beloved piece of bare aluminum, the rest of my pans are carbon steel, all similar but only two of the same brand. Everything sits on shelves and stands or hangs on racks, and the shelf is interspersed with ceramic, tin, and who knows what else. The point is having a set of pots and pans that work well for the way you cook is way more important than whether they match. Judging by your pictures you cook well and your pots and pans work well, very well!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a mix when it comes to pots and pans. I always end up using the same ones but it seems to go in a rotation.

I try to avoid teflon.

I use
  • Staub cast iron 28cm (that's the low profile one). I mainly do stews in there.
  • Lodge crepe pan (cast iron) to make tortillas (and only tortillas)
  • Ninja foodi (since I bought that thing, I use it a lot, almost every day). But then, it's either the pressure cook or the air fryer that I use.
  • I have an italian pan (ceramic coated) that I forget the name. I make eggs in there and the non-stick works when I put a bit of avocado oil.
  • Kamado Joe. Mainly used in the summer for long roasts and pizzas. I use it during the winter but maybe not as much as I would like.
Years ago, I bought a henckel pots and pan set. I gifted half of them as I was not using some of them. I always end-up using the steamer and the small pots and pans (I have 2 of these that can in the set).

I don't really mind if it's a mismatch, it works.

I also have the big round Staub cast iron (forget the size but the bigger size). We are a family of 3 so that big pot only comes out once a year when I need something for an army!

I use an induction stove. I know, cast iron should not be used on induction (scratch or crack the glass top) but I've been using those for years without any issues. Lately, if my lodge pan becomes too hot while I cook tortillas, it turns off and I can turning it back on after ~10 mins. Usually, if I reach that point, I'm almost done.

All my stuff is missed match quality including my cutlery. Most chefs will tell you to buy what you'll use. That being said if you like a certain brand that is quality and will last a very long time stick with it. I like my MadeIn stainless and a couple Blue Diamond pans, I still have stainless stock pots from my fathers super club that are 70 years old and still look new. I'm done with Teflon, I paid big bucks for high end teflon pans that warped and deteriorated after a couple years use, the companies were great at replacing but that got to be frustrating always sending back.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Glad to see people moving on from Teflon. It is a foul process to make and not good for the environment or us. Eggs never stick on my very lightly oiled carbon steel crepe pan. Sometimes I use butter, like for today's folded eggs.

I had half of my dream team on duty tonight.
View attachment 1845336
View attachment 1845337

Even though I carefully selected and researched every piece of cookware in my kitchen, I’m finding myself getting annoyed with my odd pieces but replacing them for no reason other than wanting everything to be the same brand isn’t practical.

For instance, this Made In stock pot will probably last the rest of my life and was a third of the cost. I mean it’s just a stockpot, right? So I’m fighting the urge to replace it.
View attachment 1845338
Who made your dream team?

Looking to replace our pots and pans soon myself.

Glad to see people moving on from Teflon. It is a foul process to make and not good for the environment or us. Eggs never stick on my very lightly oiled carbon steel crepe pan. Sometimes I use butter, like for today's folded eggs.
I like my eggs over easy, how is the flipping action with the carbon steel. I use a small Blue Diamond pan for this purpose. I like the surface of this pan it beats teflon but it still needs butter or oil for eggs to slide around. Also does your carbon steel need to be seasoned once in a while?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like my eggs over easy, how is the flipping action with the carbon steel. I use a small Blue Diamond pan for this purpose. I like the surface of this pan it beats teflon but it still needs butter or oil for eggs to slide around. Also does your carbon steel need to be seasoned once in a while?
It has not been seasoned in ages. For an over easy egg I pour about half a teaspoon of peanut oil into a warming pan, spread it all over the bottom, and pour off any excess. The eggs are easy to flip. I also do them basted, putting a little water in the pan and a lid on top to steam them. They slip right out. I wash with a little water and a sponge and dry the pan on a burner. For folded or scrambled eggs I add a spoonful of butter in lieu of the oil and get great results.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Who made your dream team?

Looking to replace our pots and pans soon myself.
If you cook on gas, tinned copper is pretty amazing. The older, thicker (2.5 mm or more) tinned pieces are easily found on eBay or Etsy. These pieces are far less expensive than new, especially new with stainless steel linings. Tin holds up amazingly well. I have one pan that had been in regular use for forty-nine years and not needed re-tinning. It also has some pretty good natural nonstick properties. It is priced competitively with high end clad items. For high heat, carbon steel is terrific. Most people use cast iron for things like steaks, but most cast iron pans have those stubby, flat handles. Most carbon steel pans have the long, sloping handle of the Lyonnaise style, making them far easier to lift and move around.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If you cook on gas, tinned copper is pretty amazing. The older, thicker (2.5 mm or more) tinned pieces are easily found on eBay or Etsy. These pieces are far less expensive than new, especially new with stainless steel linings. Tin holds up amazingly well. I have one pan that had been in regular use for forty-nine years and not needed re-tinning. It also has some pretty good natural nonstick properties. It is priced competitively with high end clad items. For high heat, carbon steel is terrific. Most people use cast iron for things like steaks, but most cast iron pans have those stubby, flat handles. Most carbon steel pans have the long, sloping handle of the Lyonnaise style, making them far easier to lift and move around.
Agree, carbon steel is great. I have several from Solid Teknics. If I had a gas cooktop I would have kept all my copper pans. But with induction I’m finding that the Demeyere pans are the best.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Agree, carbon steel is great. I have several from Solid Teknics. If I had a gas cooktop I would have kept all my copper pans. But with induction I’m finding that the Demeyere pans are the best.
From what I have heard the combination of Demeyere and induction is simply amazing. Plus they are gorgeous. How is the weight? Slinging 3mm copper with cast iron handles is sometimes a challenge for my 75 year old wrists. I look at it as my upper body workout, especially when making stock.

It has not been seasoned in ages. For an over easy egg I pour about half a teaspoon of peanut oil into a warming pan, spread it all over the bottom, and pour off any excess. The eggs are easy to flip. I also do them basted, putting a little water in the pan and a lid on top to steam them. They slip right out. I wash with a little water and a sponge and dry the pan on a burner. For folded or scrambled eggs I add a spoonful of butter in lieu of the oil and get great results.
Very good to know. After asking this question I did some research about the seasoning, it's something I do not want to putts with. May I ask what brand is your pan and did you purchase or shoplift it all ready seasoned?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Very good to know. After asking this question I did some research about the seasoning, it's something I do not want to putts with. May I ask what brand is your pan and did you purchase or shoplift it all ready seasoned?
It has been around for ages, but I think it is DeBuyer. I have DeBuyer and "no name" and really detect no difference. I season pans by using them. It works well. Someone using such a pan decades ago would never have thought of a complicated seasoning process, and they were okay.

It has been around for ages, but I think it is DeBuyer. I have DeBuyer and "no name" and really detect no difference. I season pans by using them. It works well. Someone using such a pan decades ago would never have thought of a complicated seasoning process, and they were okay.
Excellent and thank you.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
From what I have heard the combination of Demeyere and induction is simply amazing. Plus they are gorgeous. How is the weight? Slinging 3mm copper with cast iron handles is sometimes a challenge for my 75 year old wrists. I look at it as my upper body workout, especially when making stock.
The weight of the Atlantis series is substantial. I recently started making my French omelettes in the largest fry pan with the helper handle and it is working quite well. I can grab both handles and give it a good shake to keep everything moving before rolling it.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
All of our daily use pots and pans are Calphalon Tri-ply that were gifted to us, as a set, for our wedding 15yrs ago. They will easily outlast myself and my wife. I also have an assortment of cast iron, mostly Lodge and Wagner, and carbon steel. I got rid of all our Teflon and other types of “non-stick” years ago.

Some of my favorite pieces are enameled cast iron, especially for soups and stews.

Top Bottom