What's new

Does badger work well as a travel brush?

I'm thinking of reknotting a travel brush and I'm not sure if badger is a good choice or not. The original knot is boar, and I understand that boar dries up much quicker than badger.

Do you think the slow drying speed of badger hair will make it unsuitable for a travel brush? I fear mildew if the brush isn't fully dried when packed. Thanks!

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Sure it does. My travel brush is a little badger Vulfix.

drying depends on how long it is in the tube. Generally my brush sits out after I use it until I pack my toiletries, which is usually the last thing you pack into your bag. Then it stays in it's tube until I get home or until I get to my next destination, when it gets unpacked again. It really shouldn't have to stay in its tube more than a day. I've never had a problem with mine getting mildewy.

Absolutely. I have a badger travel brush but most of the time I just take my favorite badger brush with me.

R

rodeo

From what I can see, most "travel specific" brushes are made of "Pure or Best Badger" anyway. I haven't seen any made for travel made of Boar.

I myself just ordered the Simpson Case travel brush and tube as I do travel allot.

For sure! I just use the first badger I bought, a pure badger, as a travel brush. I bought the Muhle travel tube from westcoastshaving on an order I was making. It was $5, and works perfectly.

From what I can see, most "travel specific" brushes are made of "Pure or Best Badger" anyway. I haven't seen any made for travel made of Boar.

I myself just ordered the Simpson Case travel brush and tube as I do travel allot.

There's a little Omega Badger/Boar mix that's a travel brush (comes with a clear, plastic travel tube anyway). Shoeboxshaveshop.com sells it, and it's a great little brush. It says it's a boar brush, but mine appears to be a blend.

-Andy

Yes, I use an older badger brush for travel. I get it as dry as possible before I pack it up and put it out on the counter as soon as I check in somewhere.

Badger is preferred for a travel brush, unless you prefer boar. Blot it dry with a towel if you like, and let it be the last thing that you put in the tube when you pack. I've never had one stink on me even during a week long trip. And I don't try to dry it, just flick out as much water as I can.

Perfectly well! My small badger travel brush fits in it's tube and is a great companion to a shave stick and a DE when I am travelling.

Seems to work very well - just dry it off on a towel after use to avoid mold build up. I use a Savile Row 3118 and store it in a plastic tube with an open end for travel.

My travel brush is a nickle head and shaft affair from Penhaligon's. The brush is boar, not badger, so I don't know if boar travels better wet in a shave kit bag. Mine seems to do well.

Top Bottom