What's new

Does anyone still rank their RR Game Changer .84 as best?

Still one of the best in your den?

• Yes

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 44.4%

• Total voters
M

Member 113878

I had a GC .68 and got a .84 base plate recently. (solid bars)
Great stuff indeed.
Since a few days, I'm alternating between the .84 and a Merkur 34c, and to be honest, I barely feel any difference.
Anyone else feeling the same?

Thanks!

Great stuff indeed.
For a few days, I'm alternating between the .84 and a Merkur 34c, and to be honest, I barely feel any difference.

Thanks!
Oh man, I hope that's not my experience. The whole reason I bought the .84 was that I felt the Merkur 34c was too mild. I'll know in 1 or 2 days when I shave again.

A bit of derailing just to add
that while I think efficiency-wise
the GC 0.84-P is falling between
Karve C sb and D sb plates
(both had a short trip to my den ),
personally I ‘ve found that the Lupo
.95 exceeds by couple of clicks the
G plate ( used to own two razors with
the G plate -brass both,
once used to like it a lot ... ).

Smoothness-wise Lupo .95 is far
smoother than the Karve G plate .
Falls somewhere between E oc and F sb plate ( both owned at the past).
Smooth enough .

A great razor!
You should try it ,chance given .
Apologies for replying to an older post, but I was intrigued. I just recently acquired a brass Karve G plate razor. I've got three or so shaves in with it. I like it overall, but am on the fence to an extent as I tend to like very efficient razors and I am not sure the G plate is quite there for me. Meanwhile, I have been operating under the assumption (perhaps mistaken) that the Lupo 95 was most likely less efficient than the Karve G. It seems you think the Lupo 95 is more efficient, or just smoother than the Karve G? Thanks!

Both!
Lupo 95 is more efficient and
smoother than the Karve G .
Just my opinion though ,
based on personal experience .

Lupo 95 may have about five times
less blade exposure vs the G plate ,
still other geometry variables come
into play also and do shape the higher
efficiency (and smoothness) of the Lupo 95 versus the Karve G .

M

Member 113878

Oh man, I hope that's not my experience. The whole reason I bought the .84 was that I felt the Merkur 34c was too mild. I'll know in 1 or 2 days when I shave again.
Let us know, I’m interested!
I recently got a Karve brass SB and OC plates B.
I really like the SB, although maybe I should have gotten the C plate.
But I have a very mild beard, so the B works great for me anyway.
Didn’t like the OC that much though.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
A bit of derailing just to add
that while I think efficiency-wise
the GC 0.84-P is falling between
Karve C sb and D sb plates
(both had a short trip to my den ),
personally I ‘ve found that the Lupo
.95 exceeds by couple of clicks the
G plate ( used to own two razors with
the G plate -brass both,
once used to like it a lot ... ).

Smoothness-wise Lupo .95 is far
smoother than the Karve G plate .
Falls somewhere between E oc and F sb plate ( both owned at the past).
Smooth enough .

A great razor!
You should try it ,chance given .

It's very interesting for me to read posts like this one which is extremely close to the upgrade path that I also experienced. But, like you, right now...the Lupo sits at the top and has definitely killed my desire to try something else.

Great stuff indeed.
Since a few days, I'm alternating between the .84 and a Merkur 34c, and to be honest, I barely feel any difference.

Thanks!
There's a big difference between the two for me. I could barely feel the blade with 34C but with the 84, it feels just right.

It's my favourite. A good trade-off between efficiency and comfortable daily use.

As a Rockwell 6S user (mostly R5 plate), I bought the GC.68P with similar gap, but it was milder than expected.

The GC.84P is more agile than the Rockwell, and does a better job than the .68.

After the full of last week SR shaving, I find all other "contraptions" for shaving to be very irrelevant.

If this fascination continues I will really thin out my DE razors and amongst the few , the GC 84 OC will stay.
Could you expound more on the first sentence dealing with "SR" shaving?

Could you expound more on the first sentence dealing with "SR" shaving?
Straight Razor shaving. The quality of shave is comparable to Nothing else I've shaved with. Perhaps a vintage Gem or Ever Ready razor can come second in shave quality.

It has a leaning curve, I am.still nicking my first poor man's strop, I take time for the jaw line and neck areas but the end result is so amazing, will be difficult to go back to DE shaving, just like it was when I jumped from cartridges to DE.

My first razor is a 10 dollar unknown brand vintage German steel with patina, yet it's taken a fine edge on my first honing attempt and shaves so well. It simply has me amazed.

wish I had gone full blown SR shaves 10 years earlier!

Straight Razor shaving. The quality of shave is comparable to Nothing else I've shaved with. Perhaps a vintage Gem or Ever Ready razor can come second in shave quality.

It has a leaning curve, I am.still nicking my first poor man's strop, I take time for the jaw line and neck areas but the end result is so amazing, will be difficult to go back to DE shaving, just like it was when I jumped from cartridges to DE.

My first razor is a 10 dollar unknown brand vintage German steel with patina, yet it's taken a fine edge on my first honing attempt and shaves so well. It simply has me amazed.

wish I had gone full blown SR shaves 10 years earlier!

Thanks. You explained everything perfectly. I typed in "sr shaving" and a De razor company popped up so I was confused. Now everything makes sense.

Let us know, I’m interested!
I recently got a Karve brass SB and OC plates B.
I really like the SB, although maybe I should have gotten the C plate.
But I have a very mild beard, so the B works great for me anyway.
Didn’t like the OC that much though.
I shaved with the Game Changer .84 today and my head and face have never been smoother. When I got to my neck area on the back of my head it was kind of rough. I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't shaving with the Merkur 34c. I will be shaving more often since this razor can shave a lot closer than the 34c.

One thing I disliked about the Merkur 34c is the crappy blade alignment. 96% of the time I always had to take time to get the blade reveal equal on both sides. And even then I had to just settle with one side having more blade. The first time I put a blade into the Game Changer .84 the blade reveal on both sides was perfect. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore.

It will take some time to get used to the blade feel of the .84 but in a month or so I'm sure I'll never want to go back. I used the Gillette Sharp Edge and it's the sharpest and smoothest blade I own. Next time I shave I'll probably use something a little milder like the Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless or Gillette Nacet.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the Game Changer.

I haven't used my .84 in a while, but I have taken the .68 out for a spin recently. I think I should rectify that, especially since I've got 3 days of growth on my face right now.

Top Bottom