What's new

Do you use a Gillette vintage as your daily driver? Also thoughts on doing a PIF

I concur that the NEW would round out your collection. Either the SC or LC would give you a smooth comfortable shave. I prefer the SC - but not by much.

I've been DE shaving for about 1-2 weeks so I'm still learning technique. But I have a Gillette slim and a Merkur 34C HD. So far I far prefer my Merkur as it seems fool proof. Both times I've used the sim I hve had bad experiences (though I think May have been technique related). I'm starting to fear I don't like Gillettes....which would be terrible as I've really taken to eyeing new purchases of other vintage razors on the bay.

Recently I grabbed a '52 Tech. I've been shaving with it for the past two weeks and have come to realize that it may become my daily razor. This thing is fantastic!!! The closeness and yet comfort of the shaves have been unprecedented. The others may get the occasional "cameo" performance from now on, but the Tech is the new workhorse.

Is it a gold ball end? If so, I agree. A very for giving razor.

My Dad gave me his early 1950s ball end gold Tech a while back and I used it exclusively for several months with a Feather. Close shave in two or three passes and forgiving/gentle. Recently I have been experimenting with different blades in a late 1950 SS and 1971 SA. I don't plan to go modern since all three of my vintage Gillettes get the job done well.

Is it a gold ball end? If so, I agree. A very for giving razor.
It's the one with the black Bakelite handle. I would've loved the ball end handle, and might try to grab one if I see one for sale. Regardless of handle, yes, the shave is very forgiving and comfortable.

I find myself using a vintage Gillette about 75% of the time. I just picked up a 48-49 Aristocrat today. It should be here on Wednesday. I told myself, "OK this will be the last purchase for awhile." Yeah that's worked out well the last several years.

I have a rotation of vintage gillettes ( a 61 slim and several superspeeds ), though lately I've been enamored with my recently aquired Gem Jr SE

I only use vintage Gillette razors in my rotation. Most of my rotation was between a Fat Boy, Pre-war Tech and a NEW. Although lately, I have really, really taken a liking to an OLD that has a heavy, thick bell handle. It has the weight of a Fat Boy with the head of an OLD and is one of the absolute best razors I have ever used.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I shave with an Old Type head most of the time, but I often use one of a couple modern handles made by Charcoal Goods. I have a whole bunch of vintage Gillettes and enjoy them all. Every now and then, I'll mix in a single edge or modern razor.

OMG I think I have a problem here when I first joined you guys I had 1 DE and that was Merkur Futur but just had a look at what I have now and it don't look good
1 Merkur Futur
1 F2 Fatboy
1 1961 G1 Farboy Executive
1 G1 Fatboy
1 G2 fatboy
1 1947 Milord
1 1949 Milord
1 1946/7 Aristocrat
1 Aristocrat open comb
1 ball end open comb
1 H2 Slim
1 1920s wilkinson sword empire
1 90R Parker
1 Red Tip
1 B30 TTO

My go to razor is my Gold Fat Handle Tech ( so much so I ordered a silver fat handle to go with it) loaded with a GSB or Astra. I also have a 51 Flair Tip that I enjoy. There's a Merkur I have that I use once and a while.

Currently I have 77 razors, with four more coming. I have 19 modern razors, 43 Gillettes, 13 Schicks (injectors and kronas), a PAL injector and a Wilkinson Sticky. About 50% of my shaves are with Gillettes, 45% modern and 5% injectors/other DEs. I have a lot of Gillettes to try out so the percentage of Gillette/injector usage may go up.

Great rotation, but my real comment is I love that copper tubing rack! Is it soldered, glued or just dry fit?

I've just used a hot glue gun, that way as my collection continues to grow, I can heat the joins to pull it apart and modify as needed. I have just drilled holes in the timber base for the slims and fatboys otherwise I needed larger diameter tube or heat and expand that tube slightly.

I've just used a hot glue gun, that way as my collection continues to grow, I can heat the joins to pull it apart and modify as needed. I have just drilled holes in the timber base for the slims and fatboys otherwise I needed larger diameter tube or heat and expand that tube slightly.
Thanks for the info. That's cool that you can change it up. Great job.

Thanks for the info. That's cool that you can change it up. Great job.
Thanks, you can also use a center punch and hammer once it's all assembled and give each join a whack.. I also knocked up a stand for my brushes too
$image.jpg
Sorry o.p not meaning to hijack your thread!

Top Bottom