What's new

Do you have a red shirt for weeper days?

I often do wear a red shirt if I am going out to an Italian restaurant and expect to eat anything with red sauce. Invariably, I will end up with some of the sauce on my shirt, so a red shirt comes in handy.

Generally, I shave immediately after completing my shower, so I am not wearing a shirt during my shave. There have been only two occasions I can remember when I got cut so badly that stopping the flow of blood took more than a few seconds.

In one instance, I was shaving with a Van der Hagen TTO razor with a super sharp blade. The razor had a 3" handle and I was holding the razor near the knob that controls the doors on the head. As I shaved, the doors opened to the point that the blade was no longer held securely within the head. I got a very nasty gash in my cheek that took quite a while to stop the bleeding. I still use a VDH TTO razor, but it has a 4" handle and I check to make sure the doors are closed before every pass and sometimes during the pass. I learned my lesson.

The other instance was the first time I used a Gold Dollar W59 straight razor. This is a Spanish Point razor, but mine had not been ground properly such that the point of the razor sliced my cheek as soon as the edge touched my face. Once again, it took a while to stop the blood flow. Taking baby aspirin to thin my blood did not help, either. Although I do not normally blunt the points of my straight razors, I had to do it on this particular razor to avoid blood loss.

As an aside, when I was working for Gillette I remember the technical team that supported customer complaints always said the worst shave cuts in their experience came from electric razors (Gillette owned Braun).

I don't wear red. Never!
Some members here pretend they never get weepers. We know it is not true. ;) Everyone will have the occasional weeper sometimes.

That is true. We all get occasional weepers, but the flow of blood usually can be stemmed in a few seconds using tissue paper, alum block, styptic pencil, or my favorite: the Pacific Shaving Company Nick Stick. I cannot imagine a weeper producing sufficient blood as to run down onto my shirt (if I were wearing one). For those using serious blood thinners such as Coumadin, Heparin, Plavix or Xarelto, even a weeper might be difficult to stop.

I often do wear a red shirt if I am going out to an Italian restaurant and expect to eat anything with red sauce. Invariably, I will end up with some of the sauce on my shirt, so a red shirt comes in handy.

Generally, I shave immediately after completing my shower, so I am not wearing a shirt during my shave. There have been only two occasions I can remember when I got cut so badly that stopping the flow of blood took more than a few seconds.

In one instance, I was shaving with a Van der Hagen TTO razor with a super sharp blade. The razor had a 3" handle and I was holding the razor near the knob that controls the doors on the head. As I shaved, the doors opened to the point that the blade was no longer held securely within the head. I got a very nasty gash in my cheek that took quite a while to stop the bleeding. I still use a VDH TTO razor, but it has a 4" handle and I check to make sure the doors are closed before every pass and sometimes during the pass. I learned my lesson.

The other instance was the first time I used a Gold Dollar W59 straight razor. This is a Spanish Point razor, but mine had not been ground properly such that the point of the razor sliced my cheek as soon as the edge touched my face. Once again, it took a while to stop the blood flow. Taking baby aspirin to thin my blood did not help, either. Although I do not normally blunt the points of my straight razors, I had to do it on this particular razor to avoid blood loss.
Hi Ray. Sheesh those two cuts sounded scary. One of the worst cuts I got was with a Rockwell R1 TTO after watching a Geo Fatboy video about the razor in which he said something like, 'It would be impossible to cut yourself with this razor.' So I shaved as fast and carefree as he did and hacked my poor face to pieces! But yeah, hearing about your experience, I'm going to be checking that the doors are closed on all my TTOs from now on.

Hi Ray. Sheesh those two cuts sounded scary. One of the worst cuts I got was with a Rockwell R1 TTO after watching a Geo Fatboy video about the razor in which he said something like, 'It would be impossible to cut yourself with this razor.' So I shaved as fast and carefree as he did and hacked my poor face to pieces! But yeah, hearing about your experience, I'm going to be checking that the doors are closed on all my TTOs from now on.

I believe Geo Fatboy is of Greek ancestry. I think he has pretty thick skin. I watched a few of his shave videos until I realized that his methods did not work for my thin, sensitive skin.

One thing he does is shave off the guard of the razor. That method does work for many folks, but with my coarse beard and sensitive skin, I have found that shaving off the cap allows me to shave with less irritation and fewer mishaps.

No matter which razor and blade your are using, never rush your shave and apply the least amount of pressure possible to the razor. I have not shaved with the Rockwell R1, but it appears similar to the VdH/Weishi razor I have. From what I have read, the Rockwell blades are terrible, neither sharp nor smooth. Thus, if that is what you were using when you sliced and diced your face, try upgrading to a better blade.

I believe Geo Fatboy is of Greek ancestry. I think he has pretty thick skin. I watched a few of his shave videos until I realized that his methods did not work for my thin, sensitive skin.

One thing he does is shave off the guard of the razor. That method does work for many folks, but with my coarse beard and sensitive skin, I have found that shaving off the cap allows me to shave with less irritation and fewer mishaps.

No matter which razor and blade your are using, never rush your shave and apply the least amount of pressure possible to the razor. I have not shaved with the Rockwell R1, but it appears similar to the VdH/Weishi razor I have. From what I have read, the Rockwell blades are terrible, neither sharp nor smooth. Thus, if that is what you were using when you sliced and diced your face, try upgrading to a better blade.
Thanks Ray. And that fiasco was a long time ago. (And it was with a Rockwell blade.) And good point about Geo's skin being thick. Mine is sensitive, has scars, and is bumpy on the chin.

Top Bottom