What's new

Dive watch recommendations

Good morning everyone,
I am sure this has been hashed over 100 times but it has become relevant to me so I thought I would ask.

I have a daily driver watch that I like a lot, but am looking to replace. It is a Halios Bluering, nothing expensive or fancy and that's why I like it. The larger size and general ruggedness of a diver means that I can wear it anytime, and all the time; at the beach, in the shower, working on my car, dressed nicely for work, etc. I want to be able to continue to do that with my new watch as well, but without spending a fortune.

I also have a Seiko Orange monster that I like a lot. I enjoy the price to value ratio of a Seiko, and the fit and finish are second to none, at least in the watches I have had on my wrist. I would probably switch to that all the time but its a hair smaller, and lighter, than I would like for a daily watch. If I could find a Seiko I liked in a bigger range that would probably work.

Here are the parameters I am working with as I know them know:
  • fully functional bezel (I use mine a lot)
  • Automatic movement
  • water resistant - mine has been tested to at least 100M but really as long as I can swim with it and shower with it, that is fine
  • at least 43mm size (which is what the Halios is) I would be okay a bit bigger even
  • I like to change bands so I has to accommodate that
  • I want to stay under $500, bonus if its closer to $200.

Thoughts?

Deep Blue sells a pretty nice dive watch for the money. I have one of their Tritium divers that is one of my favorite every day watches. Mine is rather big, and I'm sure most of the parts are Chinese, except for the movement. Their web site is at www.deepbluewatches.com.

Deep Blue runs frequent specials. A discount code of "DEEP" entered during checkout results in a 40% discount from the web site prices. With the discount, it's really hard to beat the quality to cost ratio.

The Seiko SBDC031 Sumo might suit your requirements, automatic, 44mm case. Seems to fall just under the top end of the budget when looking about.

seiko.jpg

Or one of the Seiko PADI varieties, quite large cases as well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A good dive watch should have stem protection and turning bezel only turns to the left usally, I use to dive and those watches are still ticking 20yrs later.

I think the Orient Ray
proxy.php

and the Glycine Combat Sub are two that may meet your criteria.
proxy.php

Both have many different configuration options.

Ron R

I think the Orient Ray
proxy.php

and the Glycine Combat Sub are two that may meet your criteria.
proxy.php

Both have many different configuration options.
I have a Orient titanium dive watch and the abuse I gave that watch at work no other watch I doubt could withstand it. That is one good brand IMO. It keeps excellent time and batteries go a long time because of its engineering inside.

I just found the Orient Mako XL which ticks a lot of boxes for me. I have a square faced orient that I like a lot and I am comfortable with the brand. Question for anyone that owns an Orient dive watch, can the bands be changed?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Be aware that some have experienced problems with the bezel on the Orient Mako .. I found out the reports when my Blue Mako bezel failed after very limited wrist time. Like the OP, I use the bezel everyday for non-dive related timing functions. I have tried to adjust the spring, etc. but at present mine is immobile at 12 ... customer service wasn't helpful and my local watchmaker would not work on it ..

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I just found the Orient Mako XL which ticks a lot of boxes for me. I have a square faced orient that I like a lot and I am comfortable with the brand. Question for anyone that owns an Orient dive watch, can the bands be changed?
I don't own an Orient, but I'm like 99.9% sure you can change the band. In fact, its a pretty popular upgrade, since the bracelets on inexpensive watches usually aren't all that great. I've seen a lot of Orient divers on NATO straps.

I don't own an Orient, but I'm like 99.9% sure you can change the band. In fact, its a pretty popular upgrade, since the bracelets on inexpensive watches usually aren't all that great. I've seen a lot of Orient divers on NATO straps.

Yes that is indeed true. I have both the Ray II and the M-Force Beast and the Beast is my daily wear. The Beast according to case marking is rated for 200m. Literature says it is ISO rated shock resistant and anti-magnetic and sits in a 47mm case. I like the band on the Orients but their pin retention system could be a little more robust IMHO.

proxy.php

Ron R

The "weakest link" of this watch are band pins and the links of the band I found over the years. I welded, machined and Millwrighted with this watch on, it took a lot vibration from grinding and physical activity on the job.
20180119_080832.jpg

So I pulled the trigger on a Black Mako XL. My previous experience with Orient has been positive, and I liked too many things about that watch versus others to not get it. No watch is ever going to be perfect, but I like to not have to worry about them too much no matter what I am doing, and this should fit that well. I will eventually upgrade the band, and if the lume turns out to be as bad as many say, I will have that done also.

Should have it this weekend, so I will post pics of the new addition as soon as I have it. Thanks everyone for the help.

So I pulled the trigger on a Black Mako XL. My previous experience with Orient has been positive, and I liked too many things about that watch versus others to not get it. No watch is ever going to be perfect, but I like to not have to worry about them too much no matter what I am doing, and this should fit that well. I will eventually upgrade the band, and if the lume turns out to be as bad as many say, I will have that done also.

Should have it this weekend, so I will post pics of the new addition as soon as I have it. Thanks everyone for the help.

Congrats!

If you're looking for automatic because you don't want to mess with changing batteries, don't rule out the Citizen EcoDrive dive watches. I own a couple in the $150-$200 range (Promaster and EcoZilla). Use both in the ocean with no problem. A lot of watch for the money.

Top Bottom