What's new

Discordance

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
“I get 250 shaves out of a Williams’ puck”

That one has been bobbing in my subconscious for a few weeks.

What about that sentence is irksome? Is it because those are rookie numbers and you’re on your 10,000 shave of a modern Williams puck from 2007?

That one has been bobbing in my subconscious for a few weeks.

What about that sentence is irksome? Is it because those are rookie numbers and you’re on your 10,000 shave of a modern Williams puck from 2007?
Haha I’m glad you asked!

First, That’s like 0.2g per shave, which for me produces nothing close to a decent shaving lather.

Second, do you really need to squeeze that many shaves from a soap that costs $1? Compared to 1g per shave usage, this is saving you like 5 bucks per year if you shave daily.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Two things get to me. The first is the use of "YMMV", although thankfully it is now being used less. For me it shows a lack of knowledge in English expression.

The other is the lack of knowledge of when to use "good" or "well". "Good" is often used when "well" should be used. Maybe it's just American "English".
Way too many Americans weren't paying attention in Grammar Classes. The misuse of "well" and "good" sets my teeth on edge. I wish more people would read The Little Book: Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr and E.B. White... a great little reference book about grammar.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yeah, this maddens me too. It is as though they think hair grows in width rather than length. If anything I feel like longer stubble cuts more easily. But anyway, if I ever see somebody say that I stop listening or reading right there.
and BTW, thx for your gentle correction on another thread.... Funny how something gets stuck in your head. I was trying to analyze where that entered my mind.... No legit reason, for sure... but I do know, when I was shaving with a Gillette Fusion Power.. if i hadn't shaved for a few days, the razor would get clogged up something fierce.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For me it’s the phrase “all natural” and the idea that products that are labeled as such are inherently good for you. Lead, mercury and arsenic are all “all natural” but ain’t none of them good for you
When I see that... I often think to myself, dog feces is all natural too.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't get the whole 'changing handles' thing - to me a razor is the original head plus the original handle. If you take a Gillette Goodwill head and put a Tech fat handle on it then you are not using a Goodwill or a Tech, but a Frankenrazor. Somehow though it is still regarded as a Goodwill as if changing the handle makes no difference. Yet in the next thread I could read that changing a razor handle can change the way a razor shaves - which it can. And don't get me started on replacement Gibbs handles which totally change the balance of the razor, which is admittedly very head heavy. Madness 🤪

I don't change handles between brands, outside of the odd experiment here and there, but if a manufacturer makes multiple handle types, I'm fine with swapping them out on their own head. Razorock for instance, I got no qualms swapping out one of their handles for one of their other handles on my Game Changer.

Same here i've got 5 different Razorock handles only use one of them because it's my favorite.

Swapping handles disturbs my sense of original order and Frankenrazors are a shaving abomination! 😁
Our son got me back into wet shaving by sending me a RazoRock Lupo DE Aluminum razor. It just too light... didn't feel natural in my hand. I changed out the lightweight (and slippery to me) handle for an Evolution handle from Executive Shaving Co... that made it a completely different and enjoyable razor for me.

The thing that gets to me is the so called experts who seem to know everything about everything even if they’ve never tried it.

Often these are the same guys that repeat ‘facts’ that they have no personal knowledge of.

Well it would be nice if razor reviews would include the angle steep or swallow vs just saying that it has a narrow working angle or that it is intuitive etc...

After giving an Alum block more than a fair chance to prove itself, in the end, I really didn't understand the need to use one.

As for terms, I've never liked "shave den" and "wet shaving". I've reluctantly used the terms on the forum since they're so universally understood, but I still don't like them. They both sound a bit creepy to me for some reason, especially "wet shaving".

I also don't like boar brushes being referred to as pig brushes. I know it's the truth, but I just don't like how it sounds.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Two! I’ve got two!
They give me a hullabaloo!
Even if I threw my shoe
No one still would think them through

Ein: “Home made” when whatever it is wasn’t made in anybody’s home. Is someone carrying a giant soup-of-the day in a gigantic crock pot from home to the eatery in violation of several health codes? No! Liars!

Ni: When people act like they’re being minimalist or frugal and ignore the entire infrastructure that makes their “minimalism” more effective than a toot in a tempest. My brother used to show me a site where people made impressive applications with “only 5 kilobits of code,” but they always tied back to some colossal repository of existing code.

Two! I’ve got two!
They give me a hullabaloo!
Even if I threw my shoe
No one still would think them through

Ein: “Home made” when whatever it is wasn’t made in anybody’s home. Is someone carrying a giant soup-of-the day in a gigantic crock pot from home to the eatery in violation of several health codes? No! Liars!

Ni: When people act like they’re being minimalist or frugal and ignore the entire infrastructure that makes their “minimalism” more effective than a toot in a tempest. My brother used to show me a site where people made impressive applications with “only 5 kilobits of code,” but they always tied back to some colossal repository of existing code.
A lot of restaurants are using the term "house made" lately. I think they might have heard you.

The thing that gets to me is the so called experts who seem to know everything about everything even if they’ve never tried it.

Often these are the same guys that repeat ‘facts’ that they have no personal knowledge of.
I was going to post the same thing. There is one new guy who has extremely limited experience and knowledge about most topics, and none in some areas, but is everywhere giving advice and posting some real nonsense.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was going to post the same thing. There is one new guy who has extremely limited experience and knowledge about most topics, and none in some areas, but is everywhere giving advice and posting some real nonsense.
I hope that isn't referring to me.... on some days, I probably resemble that remark, unfortunately.

Top Bottom