What's new

Discordance

I began last Thursday in a grouchy mood (skipped shave, a young dentist talked to me like a 5-year-old, first two of 3 coffee shops was closed--the third served lukewarm coffee); putting me in a grouchy mood, until I began finishing every statement that day with "Get off my lawn." YMMV, big butterscotch knots... GOML! (and now I feel better)
Ā 
I have read on multiple forums about how many people, as they age, start becoming less tolerant of certain types of words, phrases, or behavior.

For me, it has been the exact opposite. I've lived long enough now to know that none of that stuff really matters, so I don't get worked up about stuff much anymore. I guess I'm the opposite of a grumpy old man?

As far as shaving stuff goes, I think it's rather amusing how some guys always want to have the most aggressive razor possible and think that one can't get a good shave from a mild razor. I mean, I guess if you only shave once every two weeks a mild razor with a smaller gap will clog up, but if you shave every day to two days, I don't see how it matters that much. Provided you can get the blade onto your skin it should cut the hairs, right?
Ā 
For me itā€™s the phrase ā€œall naturalā€ and the idea that products that are labeled as such are inherently good for you. Lead, mercury and arsenic are all ā€œall naturalā€ but ainā€™t none of them good for you

This and the over-use of "organic". As someone who's taken more than a few chemistry classes, seeing "100% Organic Sea Salt" on the supermarket shelf can give you a headache.
Ā 
This and the over-use of "organic". As someone who's taken more than a few chemistry classes, seeing "100% Organic Sea Salt" on the supermarket shelf can give you a headache.
100% agreed. Last time I took a chemistry class was 20+ years ago so correct me if Iā€™m wrong but isnā€™t the chemistry definition for ā€œorganicā€ is something thatā€™s carbon based? If so wouldnā€™t that exclude most if not all salts from being defined as ā€œorganicā€?
Ā 
100% agreed. Last time I took a chemistry class was 20+ years ago so correct me if Iā€™m wrong but isnā€™t the chemistry definition for ā€œorganicā€ is something thatā€™s carbon based? If so wouldnā€™t that exclude most if not all salts from being defined as ā€œorganicā€?

Logically, yes. Marketing wise, apparently not.
Ā 
It's simple to make organic salt. Just add some horse poop to it, and you're good to go.
Ā 

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
In his original post, @Yuritau discussed ā€œpopular notions to which I simply did not subscribe.ā€

A few of my own:
  • Baseballā€™s designated hitter rule
  • Use of ā€œirregardlessā€
  • Not eating pizza slices left on the table by previous patrons (high-five @FarmerTan)
  • Pushbutton transmissions
  • Settling for bad shaves, because life is too short
Ā 

Eben Stone

Staff member
Well, this thread isnā€™t supposed to be about language and words, so letā€™s get it back to shaving. For me these always feel like a stab in my kidney:
- ā€œ3 pass shaveā€
- ā€œI have tough whiskersā€ (generally followed by ā€œand sensitive skinā€)
- ā€œmy beard requires an aggressive razorā€
- ā€œMy whiskers are thick like copper wireā€
- ā€œI like some blade feelā€
- ā€œmy shave was great I just got a few nicks here and thereā€
- ā€œlet the weight of the razor do the workā€
ā€œ3- band Badger brushes are floppyā€
- the term ā€œbackboneā€ in itself when referring to shaving brushes
- ā€œI get 250 shaves out of a Williamsā€™ puckā€

I also agree with the OP on the butterscotch. Come on folks thatā€™s just orange
I could go on and on but some gents would get unhappy šŸ˜‚
Wow, I'm guilt of the first 7. :a30:
Ā 

linty1

My wallet cries.
For me one thing that really rubs me the wrong way is seeing something sold on the bst for a certain price (say $10) then a while later (a few months down the road) the same item being resold for $15. I get it, you can buy sell for whatever you want. It just rubs me wrong. My problem.
Ā 

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I don't get the whole 'changing handles' thing - to me a razor is the original head plus the original handle. If you take a Gillette Goodwill head and put a Tech fat handle on it then you are not using a Goodwill or a Tech, but a Frankenrazor. Somehow though it is still regarded as a Goodwill as if changing the handle makes no difference. Yet in the next thread I could read that changing a razor handle can change the way a razor shaves - which it can. And don't get me started on replacement Gibbs handles which totally change the balance of the razor, which is admittedly very head heavy. Madness šŸ¤Ŗ
Ā 
I don't get the whole 'changing handles' thing - to me a razor is the original head plus the original handle. If you take a Gillette Goodwill head and put a Tech fat handle on it then you are not using a Goodwill or a Tech, but a Frankenrazor. Somehow though it is still regarded as a Goodwill as if changing the handle makes no difference. Yet in the next thread I could read that changing a razor handle can change the way a razor shaves - which it can. And don't get me started on replacement Gibbs handles which totally change the balance of the razor, which is admittedly very head heavy. Madness šŸ¤Ŗ

I don't change handles between brands, outside of the odd experiment here and there, but if a manufacturer makes multiple handle types, I'm fine with swapping them out on their own head. Razorock for instance, I got no qualms swapping out one of their handles for one of their other handles on my Game Changer.
Ā 
I don't change handles between brands, outside of the odd experiment here and there, but if a manufacturer makes multiple handle types, I'm fine with swapping them out on their own head. Razorock for instance, I got no qualms swapping out one of their handles for one of their other handles on my Game Changer.
Same here i've got 5 different Razorock handles only use one of them because it's my favorite.
Ā 
Swapping handles disturbs my sense of original order and Frankenrazors are a shaving abomination! šŸ˜
Ā 
What irks me is the assumption that I don't have really sensitive skin šŸ˜€
To that, i feel extremely fortunate not to have sensitive skin. I have a daughter who is a redhead and believe me, sensitive skin is no picnic. The chicken pox she experienced compared to my brunette daughter was night and day. The redhead ran fevers, was in constant pain, couldn't move and spent most of the time in oatmeal baths and swabbed in calamine. The brunette was irked she couldn't go out and play.
Ā 
Rats, I just realized my favorite brush might be considered "butterscotch"!

All this time I admiringly considered it "amber". Can we agree to call it amber?

1646931769610.png

PS: +1 on Baseballā€™s designated hitter rule. No thanks.
Ā 
Top Bottom