What's new

Discordance

In my time on these forums, I've seen more than a few popular notions to which I simply did not subscribe, and in the spirit of YMMV, I thought it might be fun to share some with each other! So here's mine!

I don't even know why, but I really dislike butterscotch brush handles. I wouldn't ever disparage anyone's enjoyment of them, but I simply do not understand the appeal, heh.

I can't figure out why so many people like big brush knots. Every time I've tried a brush over like 20mm it's felt like I was taking a car wash roller brush to the face.

I have an unreasonable dislike for the term 'dopp kit', and this is probably the only time I will ever type it.

I do in fact consider wet shaving as a hobby to be inexpensive, even with multiple high end stainless razors and only buying the good blades.

Feel free to clutch your pearls and/or share your own!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Two things get to me. The first is the use of "YMMV", although thankfully it is now being used less. For me it shows a lack of knowledge in English expression.

The other is the lack of knowledge of when to use "good" or "well". "Good" is often used when "well" should be used. Maybe it's just American "English".

Two things get to me. The first is the use of "YMMV", although thankfully it is now being used less. For me it shows a lack of knowledge in English expression.

The other is the lack of knowledge of when to use "good" or "well". "Good" is often used when "well" should be used. Maybe it's just American "English".

Since you brought up usage, the misuse of homophones by native English speakers in the straight razor section makes me twitch.

The "heal" of a razor
Holding a strop "taught"
Honing on a "course" stone
A "molted" black Escher

Probably forgetting a few.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Since you brought up usage, the misuse of homophones by native English speakers in the straight razor section makes me twitch.

The "heal" of a razor
Holding a strop "taught"
A "molted" black Escher

Probably forgetting a few.
I am guilty of at least numbers 2 and 3. As an engineer, spelling is not one of my strong points and spellcheck does not always understand what I mean. Maths, now that's another story.

United States and United Kingdom - two countries divided by a common language.

The "heal" of a razor
Holding a strop "taught"
A "molted" black Escher
I've lost count of the times I've had to correct Autocorrupt Autocorrect.

Ah, we are getting into the deep recesses of the subconscious here.

Still trying to get comfortable with the word "jimps."

The movie/book title "Smilla's Sense of Snow" is like a fork on a chalkboard to me, for reasons unknown.

More rationally...even though I have over a dozen Western-style razors, I still, every time, get annoyed at how far away the heel is, when I want to use it for one side of a neck hollow. Kamisoris just make this so straightforward. I guess if I never used a kamisori, I would take it for granted.

Yeah, I've always kinda hated "YMMV". Quoting myself from 2013: "I've always hated the bevy of "YMMV" responses that flock to each and every question ever asked on these forums. It's akin to just saying "I have no idea". If you're going to bother writing a response to someone that genuinely has questions, have the courtesy to provide the best answer you are capable of providing."

Yeah, I've always kinda hated "YMMV". Quoting myself from 2013: "I've always hated the bevy of "YMMV" responses that flock to each and every question ever asked on these forums. It's akin to just saying "I have no idea". If you're going to bother writing a response to someone that genuinely has questions, have the courtesy to provide the best answer you are capable of providing."

Huh. I always took it as meaning "this is what happened to me, and how I reacted to it. Your experience, and your reaction, may be different."

BTW this thread inspired me to construct a phrase that would most irritate my brain, not restricting myself to real words. I wound up with "Smoist Smointment." Your reaction may differ.

Top Bottom