What's new

Dignity and the Wet shave

Day 10: Fate Guided by inches

No matter where I put my glasses, the remote, or shaving supplies this past week, they always seem to be an inch too far away when I need them. That extra inch of reaching pulls at the stitches securing my scalene and trapezius muscles, causing them to spasm, reminding me that I am on a leave of absense for a reason.

It was the fall of 1980 and I was a Freshman at Lafayette College. I had always been fascinated by martial arts, but had never done any training. My college offered free lessons in Kyokushin karate so I figured "why not".

The Sensei asked all of us why we were there. One guy said "For discipline". Another said "It's good exercise". A third said "for self-defense". The Sensei walked around the room in silence.

"Anyone else?"

More silence. Sensei turned to the class. "While there is some truth in all of that, it's not why you are here. You are here to learn how to kick someone's ***". I knew at that moment that this would be a lively experience. I continued with Kyokushin through college, including during my time in Spain. After graduating, I moved into NYC and found a Shorin Ryu dojo in Midtown. The lead instructors were mostly ex-military and were tough as nails. There were no mats on the floor, just hard wood. "If you are in a real fight..." the Sensei said "...there will be no mats. Just concrete or asphalt." They didn't have punching bags or "bad Bob's" at the dojo, just planks of Oak attached to rebar poles. "Bone is hard. Get used to it". I imagine them shaving with Kabar knives.

Before going to class, I would often head over to Hatsuhana for some sushi. I used to eat at the small sushi bar downstairs. I would go straight from work, and at 5pm, I was usually the only one at the counter. The chef was a modest gentleman named "Yasuda". His knuckles looked just like mine. I knew right away that we would hit it off. He would hand me a plate covered with a long broad leaf with a few pieces of sushi on it. Pointing to each in turn, he would declare what he was serving: "This Toro from South Pacific. This Toro from North Atlantic. This from South Atlantic". The nature of each piece in juxtaposition or union with the others telling a small tale about climate, politics or balance. Balance was big for Yasuda. Every piece and collection of pieces had to be just so, or "proper", as he would say. I would tell him how much I appreciated his food. He would reply that his food was "typical", as though that were the ultimate compliment.

I loved those meals. I used to watch him as he would pivot and glide behind the bar, each move a kata-like step. Slicing fish away from the skin, he would draw the blade at an angle as he sliced, like a steeply slanted razor cutting with a J-stroke. His efficient movements and precise cuts reflected an ability to apply martial arts principles to the culinary arts. When I shave the stubble from my neck, I try to mimic his precise technique.

About a year into my Shorin Ryu training, I was doing crunches in class. I was focusing on keeping the upper half of my torso an inch or so higher than I had been doing previously. I felt a small "pop", followed by a bit of tingling/numbness that started in the center of my head and radiated down into my neck. Not painful, just "wrong". Was this the famous "pinched nerve" Mr. Sejsnic had spoken of 20 years earlier? It turned out to be a bulging disk.

I put martial arts aside and focused on my family and career.

When my first-born son turned 8, he started expressing an interest in martial arts and asked me to enroll him in classes. I found this well run Chinese Kempo dojo in the next town over, and I signed him up. He loved it! Watching him learn Kata and self-defense techniques each week, it wasn't long before I got the bug and signed up for adult classes myself. My neck had been OK for almost 10 years, so I figured I'd be fine.

Spin the clock forward five years and I'm prepping for a belt exam. I'm punching in for a fellow student, who is practicing a block, grapple, and throw technique. I knew exactly what was going to happen and where I would be thrown. I knew exactly what I was supposed to do, and had done it a hundred times before. As my body dropped to the left, something was just a little bit off.

When you are thrown, you want to soften your fall by performing a technique that will decelerate you before you hit the ground. I quickly thrust my arm out at an angle and flexed the muscles in my arm, shoulder and flank so that I would mimic the action of a leaf spring.

But, my hand placement was off by a few inches and I didn't get the extension I needed before I hit the ground. My elbow took the impact rather than my hand. My leaf spring had become a piston and the energy traveled up my arm and into my neck.

"Pop".

I knew that sound. I got up, bowed to the Sensei, bowed to the class, and excused myself. I went home, got cleaned up, put an ice pack on my neck, and got into bed.

When I woke up in the morning, it felt like both arms were asleep, but the sensation did not go away. I could move my arms, but could not lift my Gillette Mach to my face. A month later, I was in the hospital, with a lazy face beard and my rear-end sticking out of a gown. I finally understood Mr. Sejsnic's comment.

Yesterday, I wanted to send a thank you email to Andrew of APShave Company for the stunning brush he made me. The top half of the handle is machined from blue anodized titanium (see yesterday's shave of the day picture). The bottom half is of a Mokume M3 resin base with aluminum and brass powder swirled in to create a pattern reminiscent of folded steel. The knot is a 28mm G5A synthetic. I love it!

My plan was to take all of my brushes down from the shelf (which is over my head) and arrange them against a simple backdrop, with that new brush in front. A nice message to Andrew would have been below the photo.

I discovered that a few of those brushes were just an inch too far out of reach. No "pop", but "ouch".

@apshaveco, "Thank you". No pic.

I logged 5,435 steps yesterday - 2.1 miles. Sometimes an inch too far, isn't.

Today's shave of the day:

IMG_5450.jpeg

Pre-Shave
PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Lavender Preshave
Soap/Cream
Mitchell's Woolfat
Brush
Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Henson ++
Blade
Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
Razer, Blade and Cream Observations
Henson was too mild. Over buffed and nicked myself. My fault. Try Blackbird Lite for next shave
Post Shave
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
Chanel Alure
Overall Efficiency
End of Shave Irritation (lower is better)
Nicks
1 proper one
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
Comments
Lousy shave due to me getting sloppy while buffing. Heading to the MASH.

Last edited:
Day 10: Fate Guided by inches

No matter where I put my glasses, the remote, or shaving supplies this past week, they always seem to be an inch too far away when I need them. That extra inch of reaching pulls at the stitches securing my scalene and trapezius muscles, causing them to spasm, reminding me that I am on a leave of absense for a reason.

It was the fall of 1980 and I was a Freshman at Lafayette College. I had always been fascinated by martial arts, but had never done any training. My college offered free lessons in Kyokushin karate so I figured "why not".

The Sensei asked all of us why we were there. One guy said "For discipline". Another said "It's good exercise". A third said "for self-defense". The Sensei walked around the room in silence.

"Anyone else?"

More silence. Sensei turned to the class. "While there is some truth in all of that, it's not why you are here. You are here to learn how to kick someone's ***". I knew at that moment that this would be a lively experience. I continued with Kyokushin through college, including during my time in Spain. After graduating, I moved into NYC and found a Shorin Ryu dojo in Midtown. The lead instructors were mostly ex-military and were tough as nails. There were no mats on the floor, just hard wood. "If you are in a real fight..." the Sensei said "...there will be no mats. Just concrete or asphalt." They didn't have punching bags or "bad Bob's" at the dojo, just planks of Oak attached to rebar poles. "Bone is hard. Get used to it". I imagine them shaving with Kabar knives.

Before going to class, I would often head over to Hatsuhana for some sushi. I used to eat at the small sushi bar downstairs. I would go straight from work, and at 5pm, I was usually the only one at the counter. The chef was a modest gentleman named "Yasuda". His knuckles looked just like mine. I knew right away that we would hit it off. He would hand me a plate covered with a long broad leaf with a few pieces of sushi on it. Pointing to each in turn, he would declare what he was serving: "This Toro from South Pacific. This Toro from North Atlantic. This from South Atlantic". The nature of each piece in juxtaposition or union with the others telling a small tale about climate, politics or balance. Balance was big for Yasuda. Every piece and collection of pieces had to be just so, or "proper", as he would say. I would tell him how much I appreciated his food. He would reply that his food was "typical", as though that were the ultimate compliment.

I loved those meals. I used to watch him as he would pivot and glide behind the bar, each move a kata-like step. Slicing fish away from the skin, he would draw the blade at an angle as he sliced, like a steeply slanted razor cutting with a J-stroke. His efficient movements and precise cuts reflected an ability to apply martial arts principles to the culinary arts. When I shave the stubble from my neck, I try to mimic his precise technique.

About a year into my Shorin Ryu training, I was doing crunches in class. I was focusing on keeping the upper half of my torso an inch or so higher than I had been doing previously. I felt a small "pop", followed by a bit of tingling/numbness that started in the center of my head and radiated down into my neck. Not painful, just "wrong". Was this the famous "pinched nerve" Mr. Sejsnic had spoken of 20 years earlier? It turned out to be a bulging disk.

I put martial arts aside and focused on my family and career.

When my first-born son turned 8, he started expressing an interest in martial arts and asked me to enroll him in classes. I found this well run Chinese Kempo dojo in the next town over, and I signed him up. He loved it! Watching him learn Kata and self-defense techniques each week, it wasn't long before I got the bug and signed up for adult classes myself. My neck had been OK for almost 10 years, so I figured I'd be fine.

Spin the clock forward five years and I'm prepping for a belt exam. I'm punching in for a fellow student, who is practicing a block, grapple, and throw technique. I knew exactly what was going to happen and where I would be thrown. I knew exactly what I was supposed to do, and had done it a hundred times before. As my body dropped to the left, something was just a little bit off.

When you are thrown, you want to soften your fall by performing a technique that will decelerate you before you hit the ground. I quickly thrust my arm out at an angle and flexed the muscles in my arm, shoulder and flank so that I would mimic the action of a leaf spring.

But, my hand placement was off by a few inches and I didn't get the extension I needed before I hit the ground. My elbow took the impact rather than my hand. My leaf spring had become a piston and the energy traveled up my arm and into my neck.

"Pop".

I knew that sound. I got up, bowed to the Sensei, bowed to the class, and excused myself. I went home, got cleaned up, put an ice pack on my neck, and got into bed.

When I woke up in the morning, it felt like both arms were asleep, but the sensation did not go away. I could move my arms, but could not lift my Gillette Mach to my face. A month later, I was in the hospital, with a lazy face beard and my rear-end sticking out of a gown. I finally understood Mr. Sejsnic's comment.

Yesterday, I wanted to send a thank you email to Andrew of APShave Company for the stunning brush he made me. The top half of the handle is machined from blue anodized titanium (see yesterday's shave of the day picture). The bottom half is of a Mokume M3 resin base with aluminum and brass powder swirled in to create a pattern reminiscent of folded steel. The knot is a 28mm G5A synthetic. I love it!

My plan was to take all of my brushes down from the shelf (which is over my head) and arrange them against a simple backdrop, with that new brush in front. A nice message to Andrew would have been below the photo.

I discovered that a few of those brushes were just an inch too far out of reach. No "pop", but "ouch".

@apshaveco, "Thank you". No pic.

I logged 5,435 steps yesterday - 2.1 miles. Sometimes an inch too far, isn't.

IMG_5450.jpeg

Pre-Shave
PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Lavender Preshave
Soap/Cream
Mitchell's Woolfat
Brush
Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Henson ++
Blade
Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
Henson was too mild. Over buffed and nicked myself. My fault. Try Blackbird Lite for next shave
Post Shave
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
Chanel Alure
Overall Efficiency
Nicks
1 proper one
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
Comments
Lousy shave due to me getting sloppy while buffing. Heading to the MASH.
@Phoenixkh, no need for sad reaction. Yesterday was a great day. Not much pain and was able to walk for over two miles, with hills. I can see the silver lining around this cloud!

Excellent journaling about your journey. I remember, years ago, I was jogging across a street on my way to work when my back "spasmed". That brought me to a complete stop and I could only move forward with tiny little shuffle steps. When I got to work I laid down on the floor for a bit of respite and then to the bone cracker. Took me a few days and visits but was able to get back to normal...sorta. I still remember the looks on the drivers faces as they watched me hobble across the street...slowly. I have since found out that I have disc degeneration in my neck which causes me tingling and numbness in my hands...which explained my arm going to sleep when I rode my motorcycles.
Glad to hear your progress is moving forward.

lX.gif

Excellent journaling about your journey. I remember, years ago, I was jogging across a street on my way to work when my back "spasmed". That brought me to a complete stop and I could only move forward with tiny little shuffle steps. When I got to work I laid down on the floor for a bit of respite and then to the bone cracker. Took me a few days and visits but was able to get back to normal...sorta. I still remember the looks on the drivers faces as they watched me hobble across the street...slowly. I have since found out that I have disc degeneration in my neck which causes me tingling and numbness in my hands...which explained my arm going to sleep when I rode my motorcycles.
Glad to hear your progress is moving forward.

View attachment 1813940
After that first c-spine procedure, I had that same tingling in my hands. Ended up getting rid of my bicycle and golf clubs. I found new hobbies, but I do miss rounds of golf and rides in the fresh air.

Did you have to sell your motorcycle? If so, what took its place?

Last edited:
Thanks for your martial arts journey! I started karate just before Covid. After a couple of years being in and out of gyms I told the LOTH: I am a martial arts guy. I need to find another art that’s all. Shotokan has the advantage that the focus is mostly on kata rather than kumite. Less prone to injury. My worst injury was during one of my exams when I started a shoulder throw and with the other guy at the peak we both collapsed to the ground because my foot was on a cross of four tatami.

Thanks for your martial arts journey! I started karate just before Covid. After a couple of years being in and out of gyms I told the LOTH: I am a martial arts guy. I need to find another art that’s all. Shotokan has the advantage that the focus is mostly on kata rather than kumite. Less prone to injury. My worst injury was during one of my exams when I started a shoulder throw and with the other guy at the peak we both collapsed to the ground because my foot was on a cross of four tatami.
Sounds familiar...Ankle sprain?

Other than the neck injury, my most painful martial arts episode happened while sparing. I threw a straight kick and my opponent blocked it with a downward striking elbow. Cought me square between the second and third toes, on the balls of my right foot. I was hobbling for a good week. Nothing serious, but man did that hurt!

This now being my third go with the surgeon, I've thrown in the towel for any martial art that might require anything more complicated than breathing :)

My own martial arts journey into Japanese jujutsu waned down when we were practicing defense against kicks. We were to do a mawashi- geri and you catching the leg sweeping the sole supporting leg. You fell backwards. I got spooked and I caught myself on my elbow falling. My shoulder was out of commission for a good while. Once it was healed I could not get passed getting tense ever time we practiced that technique. I phased out at that time from jujutsu.

Sounds familiar...Ankle sprain?

Other than the neck injury, my most painful martial arts episode happened while sparing. I threw a straight kick and my opponent blocked it with a downward striking elbow. Cought me square between the second and third toes, on the balls of my right foot. I was hobbling for a good week. Nothing serious, but man did that hurt!

This now being my third go with the surgeon, I've thrown in the towel for any martial art that might require anything more complicated than breathing :)

My own martial arts journey into Japanese jujutsu waned down when we were practicing defense against kicks. We were to do a mawashi- geri and you catching the leg sweeping the sole supporting leg. You fell backwards. I got spooked and I caught myself on my elbow falling. My shoulder was out of commission for a good while. Once it was healed I could not get passed getting tense ever time we practiced that technique. I phased out at that time from jujutsu.

These are both favorite applications of mine for the movement some systems call manji-uke. Simple, effective, painful - all hallmarks of meaning and understanding when trying to translate style into practicality.

Did you have to sell your motorcycle? If so, what took its place?
Didn't HAVE to sell the Harley...just got to a point where I felt my reflexes and age were starting to impact my riding abilities plus the always present numb butt after a long ride. Actually, we now have e-bikes. I have to pedal or not and it's nice getting out for some exercise which is welcome as well. Only problem is where I live...the riding season is maybe 6 months. I don't do the winter or cold or rain on my bike. I'ma fair weather cyclist.
200w-15.gif

Didn't HAVE to sell the Harley...just got to a point where I felt my reflexes and age were starting to impact my riding abilities plus the always present numb butt after a long ride. Actually, we now have e-bikes. I have to pedal or not and it's nice getting out for some exercise which is welcome as well. Only problem is where I live...the riding season is maybe 6 months. I don't do the winter or cold or rain on my bike. I'ma fair weather cyclist.
View attachment 1814236
Probably some good decisions there. The guy in the bed next to me was a 75 year old biker who had three accidents over the past 20 years. The one that led to him lying next to me involved an opening car door. Intersting guy.

He refused any assistance from "Patient Care Assistants". His "potty" alarm was going off regularly. I learned his name pretty quickly after being wheeled into the room through those castigations from the RN: "Gary, you need to press the button. We don't want you to fall and re-injure yourself". After three marriages, three vehicular traumas, a triple bypass, and with poorly controlled diabetes and a pastry heavy diet, i got the sense that Gary was not interested in what the hospital wanted from him.

Last edited:
Day 11: I blame it on the Henson

Except for slicing my chin open yesterday, it was a wonderful day! I walked for two miles, had no pain greater than 5, and was able to put my pants on without looking like a quadriplegic flopping around on a hot tarmac.

But that shave.

I haven't had a nick or weaper in months, let alone a full-on gash. But nooooo. I had to get cocky and fly through my third pass. You'd figure that after writing about how sloppy technique led to a ruptured disk, I would have been at least a little bit careful 5 minutes later. I'm going to change my screen name from "BigAlVista" to "Dory".

I should have called yesterday's post "Gash of The Day"

Do you know how awkward it is to explain to the family that has been nursing you back to health, why you have a brand new bandage poking out from under a surgical collar that was already covering the maximimum daily allowance of dressings?

What makes matters worse was that I didn't do it with an R41 or some homemade contraption, but with a Henson. A HENSON!!! At least it was the ++ model.

Call me crazy (maybe a little), call me superstitious (maybe a bit more than a little), but I'm taking this as an omen from the almighty to chill the heck out, be careful, and let myself heal.

IMG_5453.jpeg

Pre-Shave
Cetaphil
Soap/Cream
Isopropyl alcohol - 91%
Brush
N/A
Scuttle
N/A
Razor
Disposable Q-Tip Cotton Swab
Blade
Walgreens Bandaid Clone
1st Pass Eval
Painless
2nd Pass Eval
Slight tugging as the Q-Tip got caught on the stubble
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
Q-Tip and alcohol did an effective job of cleaning away the prior Bandaid's adhesive
Very smooth,but lacked efficiency
Post Shave
Muprocin Ointment - 2%
Cologne/Fragrance
Hydrogen peroxide
Overall Efficiency
8 - I was definitely irritated
Nicks
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
Comments
Gonna be a lazy face kinda' day. Will join the Cavalry tomorrow for another go with the Light Brigade
Have a lovely Monday, everyone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom