What's new

Dignity and the Wet shave

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I don’t know if you can take Gabapentin. Some people can and others can’t.

They’ve been a life saver for me as I’m allergic to all the “good” pain relievers, thankfully. You might talk to your doctor about it and see what she or he recommends.
Amen brother. I have a pinched nerve in my back and Gabapentin has made life marginally tolerable the last few months. As the pain increases I keeping popping these things like a chocoholic on M&M's.

Goatrope

Best of luck, Goatrope. I hope there is a non-chemical treatment plan for you...PT?
Thanks @BigAlVista

Hopefully, I'll get relief in a couple of days when I undergo 'lumbar fusion' surgery (L4&L5). Unfortunately, PT nor steroid injections did a thing for me.

Spine doc tried to scare me by explaining all the risks of back surgery during office consult (you could die, you could be paralyzed, ...etc, etc) My thought; what are the risks if I DON'T get the surgery... only an even darker path ahead. So... I'm rolling the dice and trusting my spine doc & God for a good outcome (I have confidence in both). At this point, I'm in so much pain I will do anything for a chance at improvement.

4-5 hour surgery followed by 2-3 days in hospital and 12 week recovery period wearing a back brace and restricted activity.

I too am blessed with an amazing, supportive wife who is helping me get through all this.

Thanks for sharing your recovery journal with us. It's more encouraging than you know.

Last edited:
Thanks @BigAlVista

Hopefully, I'll get relief in a couple of days when I undergo 'lumbar fusion' surgery (L4&L5). Unfortunately, PT nor steroid injections did a thing for me.

Spine doc tried to scare me by explaining all the risks of back surgery during office consult (you could die, you could be paralyzed, ...etc, etc) My thought; what are the risks if I DON'T get the surgery... only an even darker path ahead. So... I'm rolling the dice and trusting my spine doc & God for a good outcome (I have confidence in both). At this point, I'm in so much pain I will do anything for a chance at improvement.

4-5 hour surgery followed by 2-3 days in hospital and 12 week recovery period wearing a back brace and restricted activity.

I too am blessed with an amazing, supportive wife who is helping me get through all this.

Thanks for sharing your recovery journal with us. It's more encouraging than you know.
Prayers for you as well.

Thanks @BigAlVista

I'm glad it helps, Goatrope.

Be confident in success. Your friends, loved ones and God are behind you. While you are recovering, make sure you stay positive. If the doc tells you that you need to walk starting the day you go home, walk.

2 years ago, when I had my Lumbar procedure, the daily walks not only helped me rehab, they helped me focus myself. Day one was to the mailbox. Day two, to the corner. Day three was to the corner in the morning and the mailbox in the afternoon. I found those walks made the 12 weeks fly (and, they were good for me physically). Walking every day was an important ritual I did not miss.

For the first week, those walks were anemic, at best. I got a glimpse of what my life might be like 20 years forward. There I was, in my oversized sweat pants, parka and cane, taking 6" heavily supported steps. Slowly. At least my back was straight!

By week two, I was back to age 70. I was taking the cane, but was only carrying it (for "just in case"); not actually using it. By week four? No cane. By week 12, I felt like a 50 year old. My wife was quite happy about that ;)

Watching myself get younger every day gave me hope that life would be good again.

The pain that haunted me before the surgery was gone, but the localized surgical pain wasn't much better, for the first week. By week twelve, I felt like dancing. Seriously.

This go around is tracking similarly (knock wood). My Apple watch tells me I logged 3,782 steps today (1.3 miles). By Monday, I'm shooting for two miles.

Hope and rituals.

Life is good.

Godspeed.

In South Korea they give hospital patients a sort of overalls, with flaps placed where appropriate for easy access. At least for colonoscopy. So much more dignified.
I wore two gowns one frontwards and one backwards. Actually they became comfortable in coverage and warmth. There weren’t any better options at the time. The hospital staff were also very generous with their heated blankets.

I need to start walking too or at least more than just once a week martial arts. Really weird but after my last vacation win in February I all of a sudden have love handles and a smallish belly. I think age has something to do with it, but additionally working out is a good thing too.

Thanks for the inspiration @BigAlVista!

Guido

Goatrope

That is what they do here (Australia), plus heated blankets.
I just resign myself to the fact that there is no dignity in hospitals or doctor's offices. Those people see hundreds of patient's bodies and it's no big deal to them, it's part of the job.

I only hope I keel over or go out in a ball of fire before I get to the point of having to rely on some 25-year-old girl to change my diaper in a nursing home someday.

Last edited:
Day 9: 2nd Gear

I'm struggling to figure out which razor to use today: My Hawk with Feather blade or my OC Blackbird, with the Wilkinson Light Brigade. Both great razors with great blades. The Blackbird is like a Ferrari - pure performance. The Hawk is more like a Cadillac - elegant and refined.

Yesterday felt like a turning point; in a good way. Since the procedure last week, it was the first time I was able to take two walks in one day. While the pain at the end of the first walk did climb to a "7", I was back to a "4" within the hour. I'm down to 2 Tylenol and 1 FOP per day.

In 1992, I purchased a Mitsubishi Gallant VR4. It was an AWD, four wheel steering, turbocharged beast that put out 200 horsepower. It was a ton-and-three-quarters of unadulterated fun. By 1998, it needed some motor work. Business was good, so I decided to make a few enhancements. Bigger turbo? Check. Bigger intercooler? Check. Upgraded injectors and fuel pump? Check. Computerized air fuel computer, strut tower bars, exhaust system, short throw clutch, adjustable struts and shocks, Racing Hart rims, Pirelli rubber? Check. Custom brakes? Check. This beast made mincemeat of my current wet shaving acquisition disorders.

It was an 11 second quarter mile adrenaline rush; particularly once the turbo spun up.

A year flys by and I want to go faster. I had my shop replace the cam shaft with one that had a bit more aggression on the timing.

I got my 10 second monster. But, there were some hidden costs:
  • I lost the ability to drive the thing without having to mess with the air fuel ratios at different RPM bands (based on humidity and temperature).
  • Anything less than 93 Octane was a non-starter.
  • Trips to the shop (which was 70 miles away) became a recurring monthly calendar event involving the Long Island Expressway. On Fridays. During beach season.
  • I was commuting to Jersey City every day and was constantly stuck in traffic. Not pleasant with a high performance manual gearbox and clutch
The pleasure just wasn't worth the pain. Two years later, I sold it.

I feel like I want to open it up when I take to the road today on my daily walk. The pain has been manageable and I've been stuck in first gear this past week.

Should I try for 5000 steps? I don't want to end up flat on my back, regretting the decision, but the motor is humming.

I look at the two razors, both ready to go. I step up to the sink.

Today's shave of the day:

IMG_5447.jpeg

Pre-Shave
PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Lavender Preshave
Soap/Cream
Mitchell's Woolfat
Brush
APShave Co Ti/Aluminum/Brass with 28mm G5A knot
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Blackland Ti Blackbird with OC plate
Blade
Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
Razer, Blade and Cream Observations
First pass was amazing. 2nd was good. Tough to buff with the OC Blackbird...too aggressive. The buffing did little except add some irritation
Post Shave
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
Chanel Alure
Overall Efficiency
Pre-buffing Smoothness
End of Shave Irritation (lower is better)
Nicks
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
9.3/BBS-
Comments
Only the 2nd shave with the Wilkinson. First shave seemed sharper. Maybe the blade had some water on it sitting in the razor for 3 days?

Good launch off the line. Good acceleration up to 5500 RPM. I hit the clutch and fly into second gear. The car races forward and I pop it into third. The motor sputters and dies. With steam venting from the hood, the warning flag comes out.

Maybe I go for 4000 steps today.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why anyone would think that dignity and hospitals/doctors offices should be in the same sentence. I had to have an exam for an enlarged prostate...you know where this is going...right? North. Now before they slide the camera/catheter up my johnson, one of the female nurses had to prep the area. She did this by washing my genitals and drying the area. Not knowing this was going to take place, the only thing I could think of to say was "Normally I'd have to bring flowers and candy to have this happen". This got a pretty good laugh and I could relax...somewhat. The rest of the exam went without any other surprises and I was discharged shortly thereafter. Told my wife and she informed me that women have to endure this for any OB/GYN procedure and for me to not feel special which immediately put me back into my proper place in the universe.

whatever-shrug.gif

I'm not sure why anyone would think that dignity and hospitals/doctors offices should be in the same sentence. I had to have an exam for an enlarged prostate...you know where this is going...right? North. Now before they slide the camera/catheter up my johnson, one of the female nurses had to prep the area. She did this by washing my genitals and drying the area. Not knowing this was going to take place, the only thing I could think of to say was "Normally I'd have to bring flowers and candy to have this happen". This got a pretty good laugh and I could relax...somewhat. The rest of the exam went without any other surprises and I was discharged shortly thereafter. Told my wife and she informed me that women have to endure this for any OB/GYN procedure and for me to not feel special which immediately put me back into my proper place in the universe.

View attachment 1813416
I believe it was Dr. Tómas de Torquemada that invented that particular prostate evaluation procedure. Can someone fact check that for me?

Hey BigAl, on a unrelated topic, I was looking at your posts about the Body Shop Aloe and Maca root creams and came across this news article today.

Were you able to secure a stash? I don't know if the Body Shop is closing in our local mall. I may check it out today or tomorrow.

I need to start walking too or at least more than just once a week martial arts. Really weird but after my last vacation win in February I all of a sudden have love handles and a smallish belly. I think age has something to do with it, but additionally working out is a good thing too.

Thanks for the inspiration @BigAlVista!

Guido
What kind of martial arts do you do? My first c-spine procedure was courtesy of a sloppy landing for me training in Chinese Kempo.

Hey BigAl, on a unrelated topic, I was looking at your posts about the Body Shop Aloe and Maca root creams and came across this news article today.

Were you able to secure a stash? I don't know if the Body Shop is closing in our local mall. I may check it out today or tomorrow.
Alas, no.

If you can secure some of their shave cream, do so. It's really nice and a good value. Very similar to Art of Shaving, but with a different scent. And half the price.

Top Bottom