What's new

Differences in hair shaper blades?

Hope this is the right place to post this. I've tried the Fromm hair shaper blades for my morning shaves. Does anyone have any opinions on the other different brands of hair shaper blades?

Yes, I'd be interested in this also. I'm getting a Shavette today with all the various blade sleeves. I also had them include some Fromms. I think Dovo makes the single blade like that offered by Fromm, but I haven't been able to locate any on the net.

I have so far only used the Sally Beauty blades- they pull new from the box, but not so bad I can;t use them.

I used my Shavette last week. Was sweating bullets but got throught it without a single nick or cut. It was kind of a funky way to shave, especially the right side of my face. Did fine, but chickened out when I got to my chin, where my stubble is thick. Gave me a average shave, I think. Will need more sessions with it and eventually become brave to do the chin. Not sure now, at least, if I want to go the straight edge route.

There's no lack of opinions on double-edge blades here, but there is a paucity for hair shaper blades. They must not be as popular, or maybe there are just not as many different varieties to experiment with. I have a Sally's near my home. I'll have to try their hair shaper blades and compare them to the Fromms.

I started this wet shaving experience maybe six months ago with a cheap, pseudo-straight Fromm hair shaper and blades. From there I moved on to a Feather folding straight, then some traditional straights, and then a Feather non-folding, Japanese straight. I love them all. When I started this thread, I had been revisiting my Fromm hair shaper and was wondering what it might be like with different blades.

This week, I received a Dovo shavette with all three inserts. I also have two sample packs of double edge blades on order. My intent is to to take a leisurely trip to different DE blade-lands with my shavette over the next few months. Robert, if your first use of a shavette resulted in no nicks or cuts, you're a better man than me. No matter what I use, I still manage a lot of mornings to slice off some bump of flesh!

I think the reason for the paucity of opinion on the subject is because you are using hair shaper blades. They are not designed for shaving. If you use them for that purpose and like them , great but you won't find many using them. There are many options in the realm of products designed for shaving. It would be like if I bought a plain old single edge razor blade, the kind you find in paint stores designed for scraping old pain and wallpaper and used them for shaving and thought they worked great. I don't think many would try it. Don't get me wrong here, I encourage experimentation and am not trying to put you down but just don't be suprised at the response.

I think the reason for the paucity of opinion on the subject is because you are using hair shaper blades. They are not designed for shaving...you won't find many using them... It would be like if I bought a plain old single edge razor blade, the kind you find in paint stores designed for scraping old pain and wallpaper and used them for shaving and thought they worked great.

Really? Do you have experience shaving with utility blades and hair shaper blades and have found them both to be comparably inferior shaving blades? Or is this just a best-guess on your part? Anyway, if what you say is true, then Classic Shaving is doing some deceptive embellishments on their website by claiming hair shaper blades are suitable for shaving. They even go so far as to claim that of the adapters for the Dovo shavette the one for hair shaper blades is the “Most popular for shaving.”

Bark,

I haven't used the Shavette since my first experience, mostly due to the fact is that I need to take my time when I shave with it vs. a quicker shave with my DEs. I would love to get a cut throat, but honestly don't know when I would ever find the time to use it, with maybe few exceptions. I have that purchase on the back burner right now, but maybe some day.

Really? Do you have experience shaving with utility blades and hair shaper blades and have found them both to be comparably inferior shaving blades? Or is this just a best-guess on your part? Anyway, if what you say is true, then Classic Shaving is doing some deceptive embellishments on their website by claiming hair shaper blades are suitable for shaving. They even go so far as to claim that of the adapters for the Dovo shavette the one for hair shaper blades is the “Most popular for shaving.”

Why the combativeness? Free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, etc, etc....

thebigspendur is right - there is little talk of hair shaper blades on this forum for much the same reason as there is little talk of barlow knives or hand axes - none of them were designed for shaving. The manufacturer even gives buyers a clue on the matter by calling their blades "hair shaper" blades instead of "razor" blades.

FWIW, I do have some experience with hair shaper blades, and I don't consider them suitable for shaving. Your experience may well differ. Classic is not generally considered an authority on what is and is not suitable for shaving, especially not in the sales copy for their items. I checked their website's page on the shavette holders and couldn't find any statement about one of them being more popular for shaving, though I did find the following on their "Dovo Long DE blades" page: "These blades will provide an effortless, close and smooth shave without the need for stropping, honing or other typical straight razor maintenance". This may be true if you're a downy-cheeked 17 yr old, but having tried them myself I think they're overstating the case quite a bit.

Like I said I encourage experimentation and whatever works for you is ok by me but your post questioned why there is no discussion of shaving with a hair shaper blade. I think most of us have issues enough with mastering instruments designed for shaving without the added issues of shaving with something not designed for it. Maybe we should have a forum for shaving with other types of instruments. As far as I'm concerned if you shave with a chainsaw and get good results I'm very happy for you and would have the utmost of respect for you.

My guess is they probably cut-and-pasted that copy from Dovo's brochure. Anytime I've seen a barber using a shavette it's been loaded with the red holder and an ASR blade. My current barber uses a Monsieur Charles nowadays, and IMO it's a much better shaving tool than the Shavette (it takes standard injector blades without any adapter or holder).

Top Bottom