What's new

Did Gillette change the scent of regular Foamy too?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Awful. Absolutely AWFUL! Used it for 35 years (regular before I discovered their sensitive skin version) and now I use Barbasol…temporarily until I can find a “scent free” alternative that is great for sensitive skin. Way to screw it up Gillette! Curious as to why they went with “that” scent.
Well, it sounds like it's as before or close to it. I tried the new and agree, AWFUL.

Barbasol did make an unscented or as they called it unfragranced, I don't think it sold well enough for them. I didn't mind the original Foamy at all. In fact I liked it's performance a little more than the original Barbasol. Of Barbasol I'm a fan of the purple or orange can.

And if one calls something "original" of course the formulation might change slightly over the years or decades due to material costs, material availability (ingredients that were once considered good, now known otherwise) and so on, but to completely change the scent so radically was dumb on Gillette's part.

Sometimes their decisions seem like tapping the mike and saying "is this thing on"?

Picked up a new can after checking it first for a date code greater than what was listed above (3191, mine started with 3205) and it was good, old scent again! I also checked a neighboring Sensitive version to smell that they put that one back as well, and they did.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Picked up a new can after checking it first for a date code greater than what was listed above (3191, mine started with 3205) and it was good, old scent again! I also checked a neighboring Sensitive version to smell that they put that one back as well, and they did.
I didn't realize they changed sensitive. Was sensitive the same scent as Regular and they changed it too?

I didn't realize they changed sensitive. Was sensitive the same scent as Regular and they changed it too?

Before the scent change, both Regular and Sensitive had very different and unique scents.

During the “lost weekend” scent change, they both smelled similarly horrible and synthetic to me and were indistinguishable from one another. They are both back to the way they were right now, like it never happened.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Before the scent change, both Regular and Sensitive had very different and unique scents.

During the “lost weekend” scent change, they both smelled similarly horrible and synthetic to me and were indistinguishable from one another. They are both back to the way they were right now, like it never happened.
Good to know. I never had tried the Sensitive. I might have to start watching Hallmark movies and pick some up. ;)

Gillette, for all its bad PR and ideas have redeemed themselves (mildly) with their new new old scent.

I took down five days of growth with a golfball size blob of this foam, lots of water, thoroughly massaging it in and using a fourth use Guard for one pass and touch ups.

This foam hangs with all the fancy stuff as far as I’m concerned. I’m soft, smooth, hydrated and chill.

Thank you for giving us the old scent back Gillette!

Great hotel shave today with foamy menthol and the piccolo.

2 passes, WTG/ATG.

IMG_6310.jpeg

@Juanmosey and @BudgetShaverGuy just to be clear, where is this number printed on the can?

I have one here with lots of different numbers on different parts of the can (bottom, side etc)

Any chance you guys could post a picture just to avoid any buying mistakes?

@Juanmosey and @BudgetShaverGuy just to be clear, where is this number printed on the can?

I have one here with lots of different numbers on different parts of the can (bottom, side etc)

Any chance you guys could post a picture just to avoid any buying mistakes?

Look at the leftmost first 4 numbers, they should be greater than 3191, mine starts with 3202.

Attachments

• IMG_1933.jpeg
    IMG_1933.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I do miss this version. Even more than the more recently discontinued Barbershop Fresh Foam.
It seems to be favorite. I’ve ordered one lemon lime from abroad. I’m anxious to try it.

Meanwhile I’ve stocked up my menthol from today’s trip to the local supermarket.

IMG_6320.jpeg

I had a shave with the Sensitive version this morning. Very nice scent and very nice easygoing shave. I’m so glad Gillette put these old scents back, these are really nice foams!

I found an older "bad" can in a supermarket so watch those dates. 3191 or older.
I saw 3191 on the red cans at Wal-Mart and a local grocery. Same grocery also had a 3206 red can, so I bought it! :laugh: Squirted a small blob in my hand at home, and it seems to be back to where it was. Thankfully!

I saw 3191 on the red cans at Wal-Mart and a local grocery. Same grocery also had a 3206 red can, so I bought it! :laugh: Squirted a small blob in my hand at home, and it seems to be back to where it was. Thankfully!
I saw a 191 too. Avoid like the plague, lol!

Top Bottom