What's new

Desert Boots

I’m sure that is the case.
Wow, returned goods? Yikes.

They looked sort of intentionally "distressed" to me, which would tell me that the manufacturer was not really getting the idea of classic Desert Boots. I do not even like the idea of distressed Doc Martins, but I do not consider them miles from the proper idea of Doc Martins.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Wow, returned goods? Yikes.

They looked sort of intentionally "distressed" to me, which would tell me that the manufacturer was not really getting the idea of classic Desert Boots. I do not even like the idea of distressed Doc Martins, but I do not consider them miles from the proper idea of Doc Martins.

I do agree that one or both of these items had been previously returned.

I also think that it was just a poor batch of suede, and that prompted the sale of this particular boot as the other Brownflex models offered by Huckberry are not on sale.

In other words, dump them.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
In these comparison shots, you can see the difference in the suede.

First is the Brownflex boot in the Stone suede colorway. The nap/texture of the suede gives a neater, cleaner look
IMG_8877.jpeg

Next is the boot I received in Tobacco suede. Note how shaggy/hairy the nap is, giving it an unkempt, shaggy and tired look.
IMG_8878.jpeg

I’m also including this picture of the Clark Desert Boot because this boot is actually called “Hairy” Ginger Suede and even with an intentional hairier texture, it gives a nicer overall appearance than that of the tobacco-suede Brownflex.
IMG_8879.jpeg

It’s too bad really because I really did like the profile of the Brownflex.

Oh well…. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
What is the difference between desert boot and chukka?

I’ve had chukkas from Crockett and Jones and from Good Guys (vegan shoe brand).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
What is the difference between desert boot and chukka?

I’ve had chukkas from Crockett and Jones and from Good Guys (vegan shoe brand).

All desert boots are chukkas, but not all chukkas are desert boots. Desert boot generally means suede chukkas with rubber/crepe soles, I believe. Somebody might correct me though.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Ok. We’re back at it. After the debacle with the very “gnarly” suede Brownflex boot from Huckberry, I decided to give the Brownflex one more shot. This time I will try them in Ebano Nubuck. I ordered it in the Size 10US (since I’m between sizes, I sized down to the nearest whole size, as recommended by Astorflex).

Bootlosophy did a nice review of the Brownflex in the Ebano Nubuck here:

When I get ‘em, you’ll see ‘em. :thumbup1:

IMG_0001.jpeg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Brownflex in the Ebano leather arrived last night from Huckberry.
IMG_9382.jpeg

IMG_9383.jpeg

At the outset, the packaging this go around was much better as it contained all the brochures and the extra set of laces that were missing the last time.
IMG_9384.jpeg

Right out of the box, I was immediately surprised by the dark color of the Ebano leather, which appeared much lighter on their website.

IMG_9385.jpeg

From the website:
IMG_9402.jpeg

The leather is very stiff which I’m sure will soften up over time. Also, the dye/coloring of the leather seems uneven and even blotchy in certain areas. However, because the leather is darker, it will not really be noticeable. It is more apparent in pics than in person and because of the casualness of the boot itself, a worn look is to be expected.

IMG_9387.jpeg
IMG_9390.jpeg
IMG_9392.jpeg
IMG_9393.jpeg
IMG_9391.jpeg

Next…. SIZING.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This is a Size 10. As mentioned (ad nauseam 🤪), Astorflex does not offer half-sizes and recommends sizing down, if you are in-between sizes.

So, being a Size 10.5, I went with the 10US.

Bottom line… They fit. Would a half-size up been better… Yes (particularly for my left foot).

I am able to fit my index finger behind my heel, so there is certainly room in the toe box. I’m wearing a mid-weight sock which is fine. A thicker sock would be out of the question.

IMG_9394.jpeg
IMG_9395.jpeg
IMG_9396.jpeg

Final thoughts…

I will be keeping these boots. I’m going to give these a nice break-in period and see what that reveals for the fit of the boot and the feel of the leather.

As for the look, I definitely do like the more tapered version of that the Brownflex offers, as opposed to the rounder/wider Greenflex boot. But with the rounder/wider cut of the Greenflex, comes a bit more immediate comfort.

Not that Brownflex is uncomfortable, but I’m expecting a more comfortable fit after a short break-in period whereas the Greenflex was comfortable right out of the box.
IMG_9398.jpeg

Last night, when I opened the package, Mrs. Gold asked what was in the box. When I showed her the Brownflex chukka, she 🙄 and said:

“Don’t you already have like 10 pairs of the same shoe?”

I said: “You're kidding, right? These are so different”.

IMG_9378.jpeg
IMG_9185.jpeg
IMG_9179.jpeg
IMG_9181.jpeg
IMG_9403.jpeg
IMG_9404.jpeg

Mrs. Gold: :glare:

(…. But she’s still adorable. 😀😉😎).

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
That lived in look really works well.

And for the last week, I have been living in them. I was getting a hotspot on the inside of my big toe from the left boot but that seems to have opened up a bit.

Although this is listed as Ebano nubuck suede, I did give these a once over with Bick 4 and let them dry overnight and they appear to be just fine.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Astorflex Experience continues…

After the recent acquisition of the Brownflex in Ebano Nubuck suede in a Size 10US, I decided to give the Greenflex another chance and ordered an size 10 US (since the Size 11 is admittedly a bit too big.)

Since the Brownflex ended up being a good fit, I thought following the rule of Astorflex and going one size down should be a perfect fit for the wider/rounder-shaped Greenflex.

So I took advantage of a sale at End Clothing and ordered the Greenflex with a $41 discount and free shipping so how could I lose? (Read on and I’ll tell you how 🙄).

The packaged arrived today from England and upon opening it up, it was the usual packaging that I’ve become accustomed to during the Astorflex Experiment. Everything was fine. Packaging, brochures, extra laces. All good.

I ordered the ‘Cammello” color which has a bit more beige than the Stone but not quite as much as say, a Whiskey. I really liked it.
IMG_9496.jpeg

The color was perfect and the hand of the suede was very nice.

IMG_9505.jpeg

IMG_9500.jpeg
IMG_9503.jpeg
IMG_9502.jpeg

IMG_9499.jpeg

They were perfect except for one small detail. They didn’t fit. Unlike the Brownflex in Size 10, the Greenflex in Size 10 was too snug but not in the way the first pair of Size 10 Greenflex I ordered a few years back. Then, the pressure in the toe box was unbearable.

With this pair, there was no pressing down of the toes like before, but there was no wiggle room. I couldn’t even squeeze my index finger down along the back of my heel. A sure indication that the shoe is too tight.

I thought about breaking them in but I knew I would be kidding myself. And an exchange for what would then be a tad too big Size 11 was out of the question.

Now these boots came from across the pond. Remember that $41 discount I told you about? Gone… and then some. I thought about just selling them on Poshmark but with their 20% cut the difference in sending them back was negligible and required much less effort.

So they are headed back to England.

Which is too bad because they looked great.

IMG_9514.jpeg
IMG_9513.jpeg
IMG_9516.jpeg

After buying (and selling) about 5 pairs of Astorflex footwear, the only advice I would have for Astorflex is to offer 1/2 sizes. :yesnod:

The Astorflex Experilent has been conducted in the name of footwear science. 🤪

While I was atempting to ward off the onset of melancholy as a result of having to send back a pair of shoes, I received an email from Blackstock & Weber. They were having a Flash Sale of 20%.

Now I have been wanting a pair of their loafers for quite some time and I am a constant visitor to their website. Now when they say Flash Sale, they mean it because I have never seen their footwear on sale… Ever!

So I did not hesitate one second as the sale ends on Sunday. As a result, I have a new pair of loafers on the way and I saved $80 (and free shipping).

So between the return of the Greenflex, and the purchase of the Mason Horsebit Loafer from Blackstock & Weber, I’m actually $20 ahead of the game.

… at least that’s what I’ll keep telling myself. 😉🙄😀

Last edited:
Top Bottom