What's new

Desert Boots

Wore them again today and did get two compliments. Excuse the gas station pic. :laugh:

IMG_8874.JPG

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Back in Feb. of 2023, I made mention of the fact that it appeared that Astorflex was releasing a desert boot, the Brownflex, that had a slightly-less rounded, more refined toe box area than that of the Greenflex as you can see in these (previously provided) comparision pics
IMG_8267.jpeg
IMG_8268.jpeg

It appears that Astorflex has added another model that closely mirrors the Brownflex with their recently-released (8/23), Montflex chukka.
IMG_8270.jpeg

The more tapered models are calling out to me but I must…
1707821599417.gif

They are pretty tempting though. Maybe in the Sprimg. 😀

I had a pair of those a loooong time ago.

Don’t remember the brand but they had a tan gummy sole. They were super comfortable but the sole wore out really quickly.

Does Vibram make soles that look appropriate for desert boots?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"

Don’t remember the brand but they had a tan gummy sole. They were super comfortable but the sole wore out really quickly.

Jadd will make a desert boot with a sole of your choosing (including a Vibram sole).

Another country heard from (this time... Denmark).

The Sjaelland Boot from duckfeetusa.View attachment 1226839
View attachment 1226838
View attachment 1226840
Duck feet, indeed. 😀

the sliding tongue drives me crazy...every pair I ever had...but they were great about returns and sizing. Also they fit me loose and sloppy in the right size and too tight on the next size down..but the leather quality is really good.

vibram gumlite is a fairly low profile sole with a heel, or you can replace the natural crepe rubber with a vibram 2060 sole that is low profile and better wearing than the natural crepe, more oil and chemical resistant. Also won't get sticky on hot days like crepe does.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have given Clark's several tries. They are incredibly soft, so soft that the only thing I could feel was the lace pressing into the top of my foot. Too bad, I generally love very soft shoes.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
the sliding tongue drives me crazy...every pair I ever had...but they were great about returns and sizing. Also they fit me loose and sloppy in the right size and too tight on the next size down..but the leather quality is really good.

Thanks for that. Certainly the toe box looks like it would provide plenty of room. It seems that your experience with their sizing is similar to Astorflex sizing issues wherein both companies only offer whole sizes which may lead to some of us that require a half size, not being able to get a better fit.

I have given Clark's several tries. They are incredibly soft, so soft that the only thing I could feel was the lace pressing into the top of my foot. Too bad, I generally love very soft shoes.

I purchased this pair of Clarks Desert Boots last year and have not really worn them enough to render an insightful opinion. These are on my “to wear more” list this year.

1709090738436.jpeg

Although I like their look, I just find myself reaching for the Greenflex or the Luther boot more than other boots in my closet.

IMG_9181.jpeg
IMG_9179.jpeg

Thanks for that. Certainly the toe box looks like it would provide plenty of room. It seems that your experience with their sizing is similar to Astorflex sizing issues wherein both companies only offer whole sizes which may lead to some of us that require a half size, not being able to get a better fit.

I purchased this pair of Clarks Desert Boots last year and have not really worn them enough to render an insightful opinion. These are on my “to wear more” list this year.

View attachment 1803536

Although I like their look, I just find myself reaching for the Greenflex or the Luther boot more than other boots in my closet.

View attachment 1803533View attachment 1803534
Duckfeet offers half sizes...and I'd recommend trying them if you want unique leathers, I believe its all veg tan and it gives a really superb patina. But they are much more expensive than the Clarks....Clarks are like kids shoes, so tiny and narrow. Duckfeet is in between a proper D with and an E...not super wide, not super narrow. I can vouch for the returns department, very good customer service and nice people to mail order expensive shoes from.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
With spring time just around the corner, I’ve been looking at this pair of desert boots from Crown Northampton.

This is their Woodford Desert Boot in Horween Natural Chromexcel. It would be my first pair of footwear made from chromexcel leather.

I’m having a hard time deciding between the black crepe outsole or the brown crepe outsole.
IMG_8691.jpeg
IMG_8690.jpeg
IMG_8689.jpeg
IMG_8688.jpeg

And although I’m thinking about these for the spring, it’s an estimated 15-week lead time before delivery which could place their arrival closer to summer.

I know @blantyre ordered a pair of the Harlestone sneeks from them. What are your thoughts about their sizing and customer service. Having never had a pair of shoes from CN, I’m wondering about their sizing, since any return/exchange would have to go across the pond.

And since we both bought the Luther from Sanders (or did you go with the Hi-Top?), I got a 9.5UK which is fairly roomy in the toe area. How do you think they compare?

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@Valerius

I mistakenly guessed that your Footwear of the Day photo was a Clark Desert Boot. As you pointed out, they are Polo Ralph Lauren.

Now seeing them side by side, I can definitely see a difference, particularly in the spacing through the throat that covers the tongue.

Polo Ralph Lauren
IMG_8692.jpeg

Clark Desert Boot
1709898424722.jpeg

The blue (crepe?) outsole with the blue laces looks very smart. :thumbup1:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
1709931088491.gif

Earlier in this thread, there was a discussion about the difference between the Greenflex and the Brownflex. Both are made by Astorflex but it appears that only Huckberry offers the Brownflex (or I just haven’t found it offered by any other store).

Supposedly, the difference between the two boots is that the Greenflex has a more rounded toe area giving the boot a more bulbous appearance…

1709932096357.jpeg

while the Brownflex, which according to Huckberry, was developed as a result of Astorflex listening to and accommodating customer feedback, resulting in the Brownflex’ more tapered, sleeker, silhouette.

1709932224485.jpeg

Well… I guess I’m gonna need to find out for myself. Order placed. 🙄

IMG_8702.jpeg

I ordered two pair of the Brownflex Chukka Boot. They were currently on sale for $172 and Huckberry is running a “sale on all sale items” for an additional 15% off, so like the Four Tops sang:

I can’t help myself.
1709931676565.gif

I ordered a Size 10 and a Size 11 because I want to resolve this sizing issue with Astorflex once and for all.

Astorflex recommends that if you’re between sizes, to size down. I usually wear a 10.5 US. When I bought my first pair of Greenflex, I sized down. The boot was very tight in the toe area and I exchanged it for a 11US, which is very roomy.

Now with the Brownflex, the overall silhouette of the shoe is narrower as it is supposed to taper in toward the toe area to give it less of bulbous look. If that’s true, then a Size 10 would definitely be too tight, while the Size 11 should now be perfect.

So they should arrive next week. I’ll give them both a go and keep the best-fitting pair and return (free returns) the other pair.

With the additional 15% off, that brings these boots in at just under $150 which is an outstanding value for this chukka boot.

Actually, the outsole is very dark brown as are the laces. Maybe some errors in the photo set up which make them have a bluish hue.
QUOTE="johnniegold, post: 12605965, member: 1959"]
@Valerius

I mistakenly guessed that your Footwear of the Day photo was a Clark Desert Boot. As you pointed out, they are Polo Ralph Lauren.

Now seeing them side by side, I can definitely see a difference, particularly in the spacing through the throat that covers the tongue.

Polo Ralph Lauren
View attachment 1808669

Clark Desert Boot
View attachment 1808670

[/QUOTE]

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Actually, the outsole is very dark brown as are the laces. Maybe some errors in the photo set up which make them have a bluish hue.
QUOTE="johnniegold, post: 12605965, member: 1959"]
@Valerius

Polo Ralph Lauren
View attachment 1808669

Clark Desert Boot
View attachment 1808670

[/QUOTE]

Oh wow. My mistake. Snap a pic when you wear them again. 👍

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So.. the two pair of the Brownflex boots by Astorflex arrived from Huckberry yesterday.

From the overall presentation to the fit and finish of the boot itself, let’s just say I was not wowed by the overall experience.

As to the initial presentation, I was not happy with the fact that the box of one of the pair was banged up…
IMG_8787.jpeg
while the other was clearly not the original box. Very poor form by Huckberry.
IMG_8786.jpeg

Also both boxes did not contain the usual packaging that’s included with Astorflex products.

Next… these boots, as with most lace-up Astorflex footwear, come with two sets of laces, one round and one flat. One pair was missing the second set.

Here is both pair of boots. The Size 10 on the left and the size 11 on the right.
IMG_8788.jpeg

At first glance I noticed that the suede looked somewhat hairy and faded. Not the that plush, rich feel of a better grade of suede. When brushing the nap it did not change color or texture.

Parts of the suede look worn out and faded.
IMG_8792.jpeg

The reason I got the Brownflex was to determine if this boot provided a narrower silhouette than its Greenflex counterpart.

And by the looks of it in a side-by-side, I would say that it does. When compared to each other, the Brownflex boot certainly begins to taper towards the toe while the Greenflex has a more-rounded toe area
IMG_8789.jpeg
IMG_8790.jpeg
IMG_8791.jpeg

The style and shape of the Brownflex is closer to the Clark Desert Boot than the Greenflex boot, with the CDB providing a higher profile around the ankle.

But the quality, craftsmanship and comfort of the Astorflex gets the nod over the CDB.

IMG_8794.jpeg
IMG_8796.jpeg
IMG_8795.jpeg

End of Part I

In Part II, let’s talk about sizing and fit.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Part II - Sizing and Fit

Astorflex does not offer half-sizes and they recommend that if you are in between sizes, that you size down since their footwear tends to run larger.

Following that recommendation, when I ordered the Greenflex, I sized down to a Size 43EU (10US) since I usually wear a 10.5US. The Size 10 was definitely too small and I returned them for the Size 44EU (Size 11). And while they were a tad big, I kept those and wear them regularly (usually with a heftier sock) and they are quite comfortable.

Now with the Brownflex, I ordered both pair so that I could try them both on at the same time and really get an idea about the sizing.

Right out of the gate, the Size 11 was WAY too big. When pressing down on the toe area, there was almost 2 inches of room. It felt even larger than the Greenflex.

Pictured here is the Size 10. The right foot feels very comfortable while the left foot feels a bit snug.
IMG_8799.jpeg

But I definitely like the slimmer profile of the Brownflex over the more bulbous-toed Greenflex.
IMG_8798.jpeg

So now the question becomes, do I keep the slightly-snug Size 10 or just return them altogether and move on?
IMG_8797.jpeg

My initial thoughts are just to return both pair. The whole venture seems to have been a less than happy affair which, for me, is part of the whole shoe-buying experience. When you get a new pair of shoes/boots, if you enjoy footwear as much as I do, the whole experience should be a positive one.

From the mishap with the boxes, to missing shoe laces, to the sub-standard condition of the suede (they look like “seconds”), I think they will both go back to Huckberry.

Here are the three boots pictured side by side. (from l to r: Clark’s Desert Boot, Greenflex and Brownflex)
IMG_8801.jpeg

I think the Greenflex, as well as the closely-matched CDB, will fill the “desert boot” slot nicely, not to mention the dressier, Alden Suede Chukka.

1710420500460.jpeg

Instead, I think I will turn my attention to the Crown Northampton Woodford Boot in chromexcel.

1710420704731.jpeg

Or maybe a pair of loafers. 😳🤪😀

I know @blantyre ordered a pair of the Harlestone sneeks from them. What are your thoughts about their sizing and customer service. Having never had a pair of shoes from CN, I’m wondering about their sizing, since any return/exchange would have to go across the pond.

Experience with Crown has been excellent. My first pair of Harlestones in tan buffalo ere a bit tight (9.5 F) so they exchanged them for a 9.5 G. You have to just ask for the g on the order notes box. Ditto any special leather request. This proved to be a perfect fit. I also have a stichdown shoe in brown deer suede with toffee sole and a pair of Upton wholecuts in color 8 buffalo. All 9.5 G. The last two were made up in non-standard leathers at no upcharge. The gum sole is very nice. The wait is long (just got longer) but worth it - top quality and great service. I just happened to be in Tokyo when they launched a boutique at Isetan. Very fancy.

Top Bottom