What's new

December Photo Challenge "Hit me with your best shot!"

Since December is the last month of the year and we're off to a late start I think a best shot of the year could be a fun way to go. Rules are very simple just scroll through your shot from this year and pick your best or favorite shot of 2021. If you want to take a fresh one this month that is OK too just get out and get a good one of whatever you want to.

Contest runs to the end of the year voting will be January 1st and 2nd.
Winner picks the next month's challenge.
If you want to let us know any info on the shot and or post processing that would be great.
I hope to see lots of entries so get to looking through your shots and/or get out and take some more.
Most importantly Have fun!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I think this one is probably my favorite. I took this with my phone about a month ago. No editing.

IMG_20211109_223847655.jpg

Snowflake from back in February. This is a focus stack of around 10 shots. I caught the flake on a black scarf outside on a table. I got my shots handheld leaning against the table for support with a flash mounted to the top of the camera. Macro lens extension tubes and diopter were used to get enough magnification. Saturation and vibrance were increased to bring out the color. Scarf was removed with an adjustment brush with exposure, highlights, shadows, whites, and blacks all brought down to zero.
P1470549-Edit-2.JPG

I haven't been very active this year with my camera. In spring I chases slime molds. Even though they can grow basically everywhere, they are kind of hard to find if you are not used to look for them. Also their fruiting bodies will only develop under the right circumstances (depending on nutrition, humidity and temperature) and they can be gone in a matter of hours as they are very delicate. They are also of course very small.

This is a focus stack consisting of several hundred images using a micrometer rail to control the focus. If you ever wondered, what kind of photographic subjects a nerd is interested in, you got the answer. This was easily the most difficult image to make in my 20+ years of photography.

This subject might not speak to everyone, but I like to believe, that the viewer might think "what is that? I haven't seen anything like this before!" Something not easy to achieve in a time where literally millions of images are taken and uploaded each minute.

For your reference: the diameter of the brown stem is approximately 0.2mm or 1/100 of an inch. It is growing on rotten wood.

Hemitrichia clavata

IMG_20210228_113342_026.jpg

Last edited:
I'm only counting 3 votes and for 3 different entries. Lets leave voting open for today and hopefully we get a few more in and have a winner.

Looks like we are at 2 for #5 and 2 for #11. Lets do a tie breaker vote open for 24 hrs from the time of this post.

My vote is still for #11

Top Bottom