What's new

Dealer closings

My girlfriends brother in laws Chrysler dealership in Carson, CA is one that is closing. From what I was told by him you had to sell all three lines, Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep, to avoid closure, he sold Chrysler and Jeep. The company will buy back any 09 cars, 08 he is stuck with.

Cheers,
David

My girlfriends brother in laws Chrysler dealership in Carson, CA is one that is closing. From what I was told by him you had to sell all three lines, Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep, to avoid closure, he sold Chrysler and Jeep. The company will buy back any 09 cars, 08 he is stuck with.

Cheers,
David

That's harsh. It's really sad.

Cheers,
David

I'm sorry, that's really lousy. In my area at least, the remaining dealers are buying up cars from the dealers that were closed, so hopefully your gf's b-i-l's dealership won't be stuck with cars they can't sell. Good luck to them.

I'm not trying to make light of the situation as being the son of an out of work auto worker I am experiencing the impact of this situation first hand; but I think some of you may be a little over astounded by that map. The situation is pretty bad, but the map makes it look even worse than it is due to the size of the markers in relation to the zoom scale of the map; it's making the density look much thicker than it actually is. If you zoom in, you start to see it's not quite as bad as it initially looks. Conversely, if you zoom out it looks as if the entire United States is out of business!

Also bear in mind that a lot of the dealers sell more than just Chrysler vehicles. All of the dealers local to me on that list also sell GM or Ford vehicles. They're not going out of business, they just won't be able to sell Chryslers anymore.

My girlfriends brother in laws Chrysler dealership in Carson, CA is one that is closing. From what I was told by him you had to sell all three lines, Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep, to avoid closure, he sold Chrysler and Jeep.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the only criterion. The dealership here sold all three, plus VW and used, and they got their letter. Actually, they have two dealerships, both the only Chrysler presence in their two towns, and lost both. There was something else going on with those decisions and Chrysler hasn't been terribly upfront about the process.

I'm not trying to make light of the situation as being the son of an out of work auto worker I am experiencing the impact of this situation first hand; but I think some of you may be a little over astounded by that map. The situation is pretty bad, but the map makes it look even worse than it is due to the size of the markers in relation to the zoom scale of the map; it's making the density look much thicker than it actually is. If you zoom in, you start to see it's not quite as bad as it initially looks. Conversely, if you zoom out it looks as if the entire United States is out of business!

Also bear in mind that a lot of the dealers sell more than just Chrysler vehicles. All of the dealers local to me on that list also sell GM or Ford vehicles. They're not going out of business, they just won't be able to sell Chryslers anymore.

Considering that it is almost 1/4 of all of their dealerships in the US, I'd say that the map appropriately represents the magnitude of the problem.

True, but it's a problem Chrysler didn't do anything about. Of the Big 3, they have been, and still are the shoddiest American brand. This Fiat deal may be what saves them. People buy well-built, small cars, especially with gas the way it is. They want to keep putting out trash like the Caliber (glorified Neon), and let their once class-leading Caravan slip into obsolescence, their work force is now paying for it.

True, but it's a problem Chrysler didn't do anything about. Of the Big 3, they have been, and still are the shoddiest American brand. This Fiat deal may be what saves them. People buy well-built, small cars, especially with gas the way it is. They want to keep putting out trash like the Caliber (glorified Neon), and let their once class-leading Caravan slip into obsolescence, their work force is now paying for it.

Exactly

I haven't owned a product by the Big 3 since the late 80's...I'd rather walk.
Sorry for the folks that are now unemployed, but if they put out a quality product

Top Bottom