What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

SOTD pic with my new PK-47.... The brush performed wonderfully. I was a little worried because it seems to be more dense than my chief and much firmer too. However, once wet it was luxuriously soft (with still having great back bone). My Chief had a bit of scritch in the beginning, but the PK-47 has absolutely none. The handle was just awesome too. Perfect! This is my daily set up, so this brush will get lots of love.

The knots from Lee are in a class by themselves. The comparison to the group buy Chief is really revealing - they are quite different! I am still trying to figure out which one I like better, the PK-47 or the original Chief. It's hard work, but somebody has to do it! :001_smile

The PK-47 certainly deserves a lot of love and attention. It will certainly be interesting to follow the Dark Holler adventure. :001_cool: .

I cannot even imagine this brush being trumped by anything, but we will see... :whistling:

I had the opportunity to pay Ken another visit yesterday. He and Cody sure have been busy. Ken showed me around the shop again, going into some of the finer details. It brought to light the challenges faced by this sort of manufacturing that I don't think most people appreciate. Although the finished product--the brush handle--seems straight forward enough, the process involved in transforming it from its raw form is very complicated indeed. I don't envy some of the headaches these guys must have experienced in developing the manufacturing process.

The highlight of the tour was seeing all of the finished handles that are ready to be shipped out. To those that don't know, Dark Holler makes the handles and sends them to Lee Sabini (of Morris & Forndran fame) who installs the knots and sends them back to Ken for retail distribution. There were more than 200 of the finished handles organized in neat little groups and rows on the table. Being able to see this was a real treat.

The last time I had visited there were 3 primary handle designs--horn, faux ivory and butterscotch--with a few jade, disco and ebonite examples laying around. I saw more examples of the jade (which may have been in greater quantity before than I recall the last time I visited), disco, pure black ebonite (which looks really cool), the usual other styles, some "cobalt" marbled looking material and a really interesting reddish-orange "amber" material that I think should be a popular choice in the near future.

Most of the handles were Chiefs and PK-47s but there were also some other styles and knot diameters in there. I didn't get Ken's OK to talk about this so I'm going to hold off on divulging too much, but suffice it to say that the Paladin lineup will be expanding in the near future.

I don't know how many of these 200+ handles are being made to meet demand or if any will be available for purchase. I also don't know the turn-around time in getting them to and from the UK. I image it would be at least a couple of weeks before these are back in the States. Regardless, if you're on the waiting list or if you're curious about picking up a Paladin, it looks like there will soon be some brushes looking for new homes.

Last edited:
This is drool worthy!

Glad to see this thread picking up steam. I have a special brush to submit!

Today I was lucky enough to receive a beautiful PK-47 in faux tortoise :lol:. And even more incredible than that is the fact that it was a comp from Ken, a most generous Gent! I had expressed my excitement earlier in the thread for Ken's new venture and had said I'd love to see a PK-47 in tortoise for a future purchase. To my surprise, he had a brush that met those specs and was sending it my way :blink:. He had planned on keeping it for himself, but decided to part with it after reading my post (incredible gesture!!!). Here is a pic of the brush that Ken sent me to keep me in anticipation:
View attachment 560392
And here are some shots from today:

Pre Bloom
View attachment 560396
Post Bloom
View attachment 560399
Along side the group buy Chief
View attachment 560400

Needless to say, I am one happy camper. Inaugural shave will be later, but i did a palm lather and it was stellar. Very soft tips with plenty of backbone. Can't wait to use it in a bit. The PK-47 handle is beautiful to look at and so comfortable in the hand.

Ken - THANK YOU for this incredible brush!!!

... The highlight of the tour was seeing all of the finished handles that are ready to be shipped out. To those that don't know, Dark Holler makes the handles and sends them to Lee Sabini (of Morris & Forndran fame) who installs the knots and sends them back to Ken for retail distribution. There were more than 200 of the finished handles organized in neat little groups and rows on the table. Being able to see this was a real treat.
Most of the handles were Chiefs and PK-47s but there were also some other styles and knot diameters in there. I didn't get Ken's OK to talk about this so I'm going to hold off on divulging too much, but suffice it to say that the Paladin lineup will be expanding in the near future.

:001_smile

I trust there will be pics in this thread.

Spring light is coming to Stockholm so I might be able to take some modest snapshots myself... :thumbup1:

Can't wait for the new line up. New materials, knots, engraving....they will all be top shelf!

I am absolutely LOVING my Paladin!

Used the Butterscotch Chief in my last shave. I absolutely love the extremely soft, yet concentrated feeling that this knot gives. I can understand why Ken was so skeptical about its performance given the high glue bump, but I think that gave it a valuable advantage over the "regular" PK-47.

I keep telling myself that the only other brush I'll be buying this year is the 2015 TSN, but the Paladin "Chubby" in one of the wild colors is making a strong case.

Always remember the credo of Dark Holler:

$The ox is slow.jpg

You will need a bigger bowl of popcorn! :001_smile

Top Bottom