What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Apologies for the absence here and ever-slow replies to PMs and emails. A week ago, or maybe it was two, I finally caught up to emails for the first time since around Thanksgiving (at least those I hadn’t overlooked or misplaced). It's not like there have been thousands upon thousands of them, but more than enough to overwhelm me. Unless I get mail-bombed, I’ll be caught up again before the end of today. Anyhow, that’s the plan.

I'm almost done with a draft FAQs post that I hope to complete and send around within the next few days. I'd post it here if there were a way to keep it updated, but I don't think editing remains available for more than a few days on this site.

We have 204 finished handles laying out on our dining room table (the pool table we usually use for staging is presently covered with other stuff). We drove hard to get those shipped off to Lee before the end of March, but were held up a bit waiting for resolution of some customs issues. I expect the shipment to go out tomorrow.

204 sounds like a lot, and it is for us; however, there are no more than about a dozen of any particular combination of handle style and material. Most are 26 mm Chiefs and PK-47s. There are also a few Somerset-era Chubby-style handles, which we decided to dub Falstaffs.

Cody photographed examples of each combination. I still need to crop and size them. We'll probably upload those to a gallery and post a link which will also be included in the email we circulate with the FAQs.

We've received a good number of brush requests by email, but I intend to put together a form to use for the sake of efficiency. Of course, we'll do our best to honor the requests we've already accepted; however, it would bevery helpful if everyone on the list would complete the form when we circulate it. This is just a heads-up. The form doesn't exist yet, so no one has missed seeing anything.

I need to get back to working through the emails. When that’s done, I’ll post some more about what we’ve been up to, problems we’ve encountered and solved, problems we’re still bending ourselves against, future plans, etc.

For now, here’s a shot of some prototypes we made during a short break from hand-painting engraved labels (Cody) and taking apart and reassembling lathes (me).

Thanks, as always, for the continuing patience.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I received something special on Friday. Ken and Cody made one PK-47 in faux briar and sent it to Lee with the original order. That lovely brush found its way to my doorstep and it's a real stunner. Pics show it next to my group buy M&F Chief.

$IMG_1492.jpg$IMG_1493.jpg$IMG_1494.jpg

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Looks great Ken - looking very much forward getting one of those beautiful brushes!

Thanks. We're working to come up with a strategy/structure that will allow us to export brushes (e.g., one or two) from the US without incurring the $93 inspection fee, which is obviously not feasible for either us or buyers to absorb. I'm hopeful we'll be able to work that out.

Thanks. We're working to come up with a strategy/structure that will allow us to export brushes (e.g., one or two) from the US without incurring the $93 inspection fee, which is obviously not feasible for either us or buyers to absorb. I'm hopeful we'll be able to work that out.
I really hope so too - desperately need your brush [emoji1]

Maybe Lee can ship them to me directly or...freight forwarding?

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I really hope so too - desperately need your brush [emoji1]

Maybe Lee can ship them to me directly or...freight forwarding?

That's a possibility also. He's done it for buyers in the EU.

There is a Low Risk Fee Exemption Program here, but it requires no import or export of any shipment containing more than 25 items. There isn't a practical way for us to avoid that given the current arrangement with Lee. It would be too costly. But we're exploring some potential strategies.

That's a possibility also. He's done it for buyers in the EU.

There is a Low Risk Fee Exemption Program here, but it requires no import or export of any shipment containing more than 25 items. There isn't a practical way for us to avoid that given the current arrangement with Lee. It would be too costly. But we're exploring some potential strategies.
From experience I know that shipping from the UK to Australia is very straight forward, fast and relatively cheap...From the US it usually takes (much) longer, costs more and customs can be more complicated...

I have absolute faith, that you will come up with the best solution for all involved - if i can be of any help, please don't hesitate to contact me.

proxy.php

:thumbup:

My short breaks from work don't look like this at all ...

Nice to see the ideas taking form. This is a very nice picture to rest the eyes on while waiting for the Falstaff!

Take care Ken and Cody. We will remember that this is long run and great rewards come to those with patience!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Any updates?

I just posted an update to the list via email just about an hour ago (3:25 PM Central). It included FAQs and a PDF form that anyone can get a copy of my emailing me. It would be helpful to us if "Information request" were placed in the subject line.

I would post the FAQs here if there were a way I could edit them over time to keep them updated, but I don't believe that's possible.

We shipped 203 handles to Lee about three weeks ago. My understanding is that he's past halfway through installing knots in them.

Examples of those handles can be seen here. Note that there are currently two pages of photos in the April 2015 album.

Top Bottom