What's new

Cycling to Disney (A progress thread)

Jessy, group riding is a lot of fun, especially if it is an organized ride like that, and there is little vehicular traffic. It can be daunting at first, but drafting off of one another is a lot of fun and lets you go farther and faster for any given amount of energy expenditure.

Aside from the nervousness of never having done one, I'm finding it hard to get motivated to get out of the house early on a Saturday morning and get my bike all the way across town to the trail where most group rides happen. I'll stop making excuses one of these days. But I really do want to start networking with other cyclists in my area.

Aside from the nervousness of never having done one, I'm finding it hard to get motivated to get out of the house early on a Saturday morning and get my bike all the way across town to the trail where most group rides happen. I'll stop making excuses one of these days. But I really do want to start networking with other cyclists in my area.
Just go for it :thumbup:

Apologies for the extended delay in posting. Life's been pretty hectic lately, but not so busy that I can't still ride (mostly in the evenings). I'm more than halfway to Disney, with 455.7 miles cycled so far this year! I need to get my bike into the shop for a tune-up, as I know my wheels need truing, and I could probably benefit from a new chain (and maybe even a new cassette). My first pair of cycling shoes should arrive Friday, and I'll probably order my pedals when I get paid next (Shimano R540).

I've really been enjoying this journey, and have even added running to my regimen. My wife started running earlier this year, and now she's got me doing races with her. I've got a ways to go, but am able to go running every day during lunchtime at work... either in our building's gym, or on the Lakefront Levee which runs behind our building. I'm totally head-over-heels in love with cycling, and am looking forward being able to buy a bike that actually fits.

I'm planning on celebrating the completion of my MBA (in 2018) by applying to ride RAGBRAI, a week-long cycling trek across the entire state of Iowa!

$June Update.JPG

Nice! Took me a little while to go clipless, but ya gotta do it if you're logging serious miles. Takes a little getting used to, but worth it.

It's been too long since I've updated this thread! Long story short, I'm still working my way toward's Disney World, though I've been unable to ride in the last month due to a Hip Rotation (my sacrum is pointing the wrong way! OUCH!) and road resurfacing on my main riding area.

However, back in April, my wife somehow convinced me to start running, something I never thought I'd be willing to do. I've tried several times to start a running program, and it always seemed to end within a week of starting... usually due to injury or boredom. Since our first run together though, I've logged 100 miles of training and races!! I even set a personal record on July 4th at the Stars & Stripes 5k in Lee's Summit, MO (near Kansas City) with an official time of 34:15!

So now, not only am I riding to Disney... I'm also running to Disney! As luck would have it, my hip/back issue does not hurt at all when running... it's actually one of the only ways I get temporary relief... go figure!

$_CtDUpdate - 14July.JPG

$RunToDisney-14JulyUpdate - 100 Miles.JPG

It's been too long since I've updated this thread! Long story short, I'm still working my way toward's Disney World, though I've been unable to ride in the last month due to a Hip Rotation (my sacrum is pointing the wrong way! OUCH!) and road resurfacing on my main riding area.

However, back in April, my wife somehow convinced me to start running, something I never thought I'd be willing to do. I've tried several times to start a running program, and it always seemed to end within a week of starting... usually due to injury or boredom. Since our first run together though, I've logged 100 miles of training and races!! I even set a personal record on July 4th at the Stars & Stripes 5k in Lee's Summit, MO (near Kansas City) with an official time of 34:15!

So now, not only am I riding to Disney... I'm also running to Disney! As luck would have it, my hip/back issue does not hurt at all when running... it's actually one of the only ways I get temporary relief... go figure!

View attachment 673306

View attachment 673307
your lucky, most revert to cycling as a alternate means for Cardio due to stress or pain from running.

Since my last update, I've added 139 running miles!! I'm in full-fledge Half-Marathon training mode, having accomplished 10 miles at a 12:42/mile pace last Friday!! Unfortunately, the Half-Marathon that I had planned to run later this month isn't going to be doable since my family is in the process of moving to Kansas City from New Orleans.

34% of the way to Disney by foot:

$RunToDisney-11OctUpdate .JPG

73% of the way to Disney by bicycle:
$CtDUpdate - 11Oct.JPG

Total distance traveled by running and cycling since the beginning of the year: 750 Miles!!
Total weight lost since the beginning of the year: 45 lbs!!

I'll be adding 40 miles to my cycling total this Saturday at Entergy's Bike the Big Easy closed-road social ride in New Orleans!

I haven't yet done a double digit run since beginning my half training. Up to eight so far. We'll see how tomorrow's run goes. Glad you're still at it. You're logging some big miles!

Keep up the progress :) I started in fall 2014 with my bike, and that led to a smart trainer (BKool Pro) that is controlled by a computer interface (either BKool or Zwift with BKool having the ability for me to import my routes into the program). Since then I hit 1004 miles in 2015 and so far for 2016 I am now at 1100 miles. With the trainer I can ride inside the house when the weather is bad, or it is too dark.

I set a goal of 30 miles per week (sometimes I hit it, sometimes due to scheduling I don't).

Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom