What's new

Cycling to Disney (A progress thread)

Been out of town, but will get back on the trail tonight (even in the bitter cold!)

You got this, Jessy. You just need to dress for it. Last year I was commuting down in the low single digits and was very comfortable in the whole scheme of things.

I was wondering if you'd have to dodge nutrea! Could that have been the set of eyes glowing in the dark?

And a headwind is a major bummer, isn't it? Really becomes a mental toughness thing. How much uncomfortable can I tolerate? I just think of it as hill training here in flat FL, but it is a real challenge if I'm starting a 15 mile or so stretch after turning into a stiff headwind. Another route, taken after work in summer, can have me pedaling west into the afternoon sea breeze, then, turning home after sunset, working into an east wind, trying to beat thunderstorms moving from inland. Good times!

Last edited:
Layering is key! Don't stick to one big layer. And focus on what you need for mid ride. You should be slightly chilly at the start.

And of course make sure you have ample light. Traveling at 15mph+ requires light for you to see far enough ahead to make choices in maneuvers.

Good luck in your rides!

If this weekend is any indication, winter may be over in NOLA. That's good news for the next few weeks worth of rides!

How's the miles progressing, Jessy?

Not well. 2 Saturdays ago, I went for a casual ride with my son that ended up being about 6 miles total... but I wasn't tracking it. Along the way, I picked up a tiny rock and now I need a new tube and tire! :mad3:

Side note: Bike lanes are useless for road bikes if they're not kept tidy.

Not well. 2 Saturdays ago, I went for a casual ride with my son that ended up being about 6 miles total... but I wasn't tracking it. Along the way, I picked up a tiny rock and now I need a new tube and tire! :mad3:

Side note: Bike lanes are useless for road bikes if they're not kept tidy.

Time to learn how to patch tubes yourself. It is super easy and saves a bunch of money. Depending on the hole in the tire you might not even have to change it, but it is probably a good idea. Do you know what kind of tires you were running?

+1 on patching tubes, you can save a great deal of money by patching your tubes instead of tossing them in the bin.

I normally carry a spare tube in my kit bag and if I get a puncture, swap it out for the good tube and then patch at home.

I also use a small spring clamp to keep the patch pressed on the tube while the glue sets.

Good tires will also stop you getting punctures. I have had Continental GatorSkin tires for the last couple of years, and haven't had a puncture since.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried patching Saturday. Both the tube and tire were punctured, after patching, air still seeped out. I like those gatorskins though, so I think I'm gonna upgrade my current tires with them. The street leading to my usual path has some loose rocks, and the cement is laid in sections, so every 10 feet or so there is a bump... which can be jarring to say the least.

I tried patching Saturday. Both the tube and tire were punctured, after patching, air still seeped out. I like those gatorskins though, so I think I'm gonna upgrade my current tires with them. The street leading to my usual path has some loose rocks, and the cement is laid in sections, so every 10 feet or so there is a bump... which can be jarring to say the least.

What size tire are you using? If you are running 23C you might get a little softer ride if you go up to a 25C.

What size tire are you using? If you are running 23C you might get a little softer ride if you go up to a 25C.

Great idea :thumbsup:

Just make sure that you have enough clearance between the frame, etc. to allow for the increased width.

Great idea :thumbsup:

Just make sure that you have enough clearance between the frame, etc. to allow for the increased width.

I considered this. I wanted to research the possibilities before buying something though, and ran across this:

Cannondale said:
WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM TIRE SIZE I CAN PUT ON MY BIKE?
When creating the bike specifications, Cannondale equips the largest tire size we can recommend for a given frame. While there may be more room around the wheel, between the stays and tire, we must maintain clearance in this area for debris to safely pass through. Restricting this space may cause road debris to become stuck or wedged and could cause the rider to lose control and crash.

If you are attempting to fit a larger tire on the bike than originally supplied we strongly suggest test fitting tires to ensure you have clearance to avoid such a situation where you could lose control.
http://support.cannondale.com/hc/en...s-the-maximum-tire-size-I-can-put-on-my-bike-

The size listed on Bikepedia is 700x23c. I can't find an owner's manual specific to my bike (R200, circa 1998), so I'd be hesitant to buy tires any bigger than that. Which stinks... I think 25mm tires would make a big difference in the comfort of my rides.

I considered this. I wanted to research the possibilities before buying something though, and ran across this:

http://support.cannondale.com/hc/en...s-the-maximum-tire-size-I-can-put-on-my-bike-

The size listed on Bikepedia is 700x23c. I can't find an owner's manual specific to my bike (R200, circa 1998), so I'd be hesitant to buy tires any bigger than that. Which stinks... I think 25mm tires would make a big difference in the comfort of my rides.

A shame, but better safe than sorry.

Just an idea, but the other alternative would be to put slightly less pressure in the tubes. This will give you a little more cushion.

Example, the 700x23 GatorSkins on my bike state that maximum pressure is 120psi, I run 100psi in each.

While the ride can still be a little hard due to the size of the tire, it is far more comfortable than max pressure.

A shame, but better safe than sorry.

Just an idea, but the other alternative would be to put slightly less pressure in the tubes. This will give you a little more cushion.

Example, the 700x23 GatorSkins on my bike state that maximum pressure is 120psi, I run 100psi in each.

While the ride can still be a little hard due to the size of the tire, it is far more comfortable than max pressure.

Actually, when I first started riding, my only pump was a little hand-held. The most I could ever get in my tubes was ~100 psi. Since purchasing a much more capable pump (Topeak),I much prefer the higher pressure. At 240 ish pounds, I need all the tire pressure I can get! :w00t:

Had an amazing 12 mile ride last night! I almost talked myself out of it, since we loaded up on pizza for dinner. I pushed through, and it was well worth the effort.

Earlier this week my new tubes and handlebar tape came in. How'd I do for my first tape job?

Before:
proxy.php

Cleaned up:
proxy.php

Looking good!
proxy.php

Oops!
proxy.php

There we go!
proxy.php

You know what won't get you to Disney? SPINNING CLASS!!

OH MY TORNADOES! My wife took me to a spinning class at her gym, as she needed to bring a guest in order to score some points for her team in a fitness program she is part of. Ya'll... we don't have hills in New Orleans. I thought for sure I'd be able to keep up with the little old ladies in the class...

About 30 minutes in I fortunately had to use the bathroom (still haven't quite figured out when to stop hydrating prior to a ride). That bought me a 2 minute reprieve. Those people have NO MERCY!

14 miles tonight!! I made it to my first goal... The Bonnet Carre Spillway near my house! I had to descend a pretty sharp downhill curve to get the 2/10 of a mile needed to make 7 miles for the return trip home. It was pretty tough in the dark, and I ran into a bit of gravel, but my bike handled it ok!

I was doing really great, and hit the 7 mile mark just beyond 30 minutes which had been my typical 5 ish mile time. On the return trip, I figured out why I made such good time. It was just a gentle breeze towards my back, but riding headfirst into it felt more like a tropical storm. All in all 1 hr 12 minutes for 14 miles is a heck of a pace for someone in the hippo class like myself!

I'm gosh-darned proud.

Top Bottom