What's new

Cycling to Disney (A progress thread)

At the spillway, overlooking the locks and some refineries.

proxy.php

Refinery and haze may not be good :laugh:

Haha! It's not too bad. Since they kind of line the levee, there is a little more light on my path when I go that direction. It's either that, or I go the other way and have to pass grain elevators. I can't do that unless I have eye protection!

Haha! It's not too bad. Since they kind of line the levee, there is a little more light on my path when I go that direction. It's either that, or I go the other way and have to pass grain elevators. I can't do that unless I have eye protection!
Grains can hurt the eyes..especially if you ride fast.

Yep. If I ride in the daytime, I wear shades. I haven't felt the need to wear eye protection in the evening, but I have some nice safety glasses that would work.

Just in case a car propels a small object /rock in your direction.
Good point. My trail is elevated above the road, but the road to get there has plenty of loose pebbles. I wonder how much it would cost to rent a street sweeper for a weekend. [emoji41]

Or one of these so don't skip a beat

View attachment 644553

HAHAHA!!! I totally need to find one of those! That'd be perfect!

It's been a while since I updated my progress. After a bout of bad weather, Spring has finally sprung! I've been fortunate to have some great evenings for riding. In fact last Friday (3/25) I completed my first 20 mile ride!! I followed that up with another last night (3/28)! I'm really feeling it today though. Last night's ride didn't go exactly as planned, as the Spillway road was shut down due to the river being so high! I got out there (about 6.5 miles from home) and found this blocking my way...

$20160328_211520.jpg

If I would have ventured past the sign and descended to the Spillway road, my ride would have turned into an AquaSpin session!

So to make up the milage, I turned around and ventured the other direction (when I get to my trail I have the choice of turning right or left for my rides. In this case, once I got to my "feeder" road, I continued on my trail as if I had turned left). It made for a bit of a different experience, and made my ride seem a lot longer than it actually was. All in all, I would say it was a good experience in dealing with unforeseen circumstances.

If I hadn't continued my ride, I never would have seen the Steamboat Natchez way farther upriver from downtown New Orleans than I ever knew she rode!

$Natchez.jpg

Since my journey began in January, I've ridden 119.5 miles. A little less than I anticipated at this point, but a lot of interruptions caused this slow start. I feel like I'm getting some consistency now.

I'm even considering doing a charity ride in June to benefit the American Diabetes Association. It depends on whether or not I can learn how to ride with a group and if I can pull together donations. Learn more about the Tour de Cure here.

$_CtDUpdate.JPG

strop

Now half as wise
Jessy, group riding is a lot of fun, especially if it is an organized ride like that, and there is little vehicular traffic. It can be daunting at first, but drafting off of one another is a lot of fun and lets you go farther and faster for any given amount of energy expenditure.

Top Bottom