What's new

cvargo's Shaving Journal

Chad,
Sounds a bit like the straight razor is a little frustrating at the moment. Lifting the razor to turn it on the strop CAN lead to a damaged edge but doesn't mean it happened. Turning the razor over edge first IS a guarantee that the edge is ruined. The tugging you felt may indeed mean the blade just wants to be stropped well.

I have some "advise" that might help and Slash McCoy posted something in the straight razor forum that was so concise, ill try to find and link them here.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...rned-from-100-SR-shaves?p=8158601#post8158601

Cant find the one im looking for that had Slash's great words, maybe search his posts, you'll find great advice in general from him, Lmarkow and Seraphim

Also take a quick look here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/486686-critique-my-technique?p=8142620#post8142620
Thank you for the links. I am planning my next straight shave for Saturday so I can devout plenty of time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Today was my first shave using my random generator. So I pulled up my list and used a random number generator and what ever number came up that is what I shaved with. So today's shave features TABAC. A soap I usually only use in the winter, but to no suprise the shave was perfect even in the spring.

Razor: Muhle R41 Grande
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Stirling Kong
Aftershave1: Thayer's witch hazel lemon
Aftershave2: Tabac

What a great effortless shave! One big take away from today's shave, is that since I have also been using the new Fine AB soap, I can confirm that Fine AB is NOT Tabac. In my opinion Tabac is better than Fine. But Fine is still an excellent soap.

On the straight front I have been doing a lot of reading and I am ready for a straight shave on Saturday! Tune in.

Nice start with the soaps :001_cool:

Don't get discouraged with the results of your straight razor shaves. In the early stages it often seems like one step forward, two steps back. It takes quite a bit of repetition to achieve good technique, and thus nice shave results. Technique is the key! Your goal at this juncture is SAS/CCS only - do not concern yourself with DFS yet, and completely banish the goal of BBS for now. One suggestion that was passed on to me when I started may sound counter-intuitive, but it really worked for me. And that is, do your first pass with a DE (not the R41, but a milder one) and then do the next pass with the straight. This way, you will be focused on technique, and not preoccupied with mowing down whiskers, per se.

Good luck!
Chris has some solid advice here. It will take time so don't get too down on yourself. I think you will want to keep some notes on what you are doing for maintaining the edge. That way you can use it as reference.

Nice selection of soaps and interesting way of selecting your daily soap!

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Had to use the mystery cream for its final shave today

SOTD

Blade: Astra SP (3)
Soap: Mystery cream 2
Brush: SOC
Aftershave2: Brut

Had a very nice effective shave again today. I sure love the SOC it is probably my favorite non-synthetic brush

Random number generator for soap selection... Interesting!
I don't have nearly as many soaps as you, but am thinking that something similar, but using the dice I already have in the den might work pretty well! :001_smile Thanks for the idea!

Alright so I got a few questions about my shave den. So here are some pics. First off it is an organized mess, in other words to some it might appear a mess but to me it is organized and I know where it is. First here is my medicine cabinet where most items are stored
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

My wife allows me to have one drawer:
proxy.php
proxy.php

Here is my counter space. It includes some other toiletries
proxy.php
proxy.php

Then since there isn't clearly enough room, my dresser has a cabinet that I put shave items in as well. The items here are loved they are just more seasonal in my opinion. And all my creams and some travel items like shave sticks
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Still doing the random # for my shaves and today it selected Stirling Bay Lime

SOTD

Blade: Astra SP (4)
Soap: Stirling Bay Lime
Brush: Stirling Kong
Aftershave2: Stirling Bay Lime

So over a year ago I purchased Stirling Bay Lime after shave and fell in love! It goes on with the bay rum burn and then mellows out to a nice lime that lasts all day for me! I love it. And I use it a lot. About a month after my order I emailed Rod at Stirling asking for a matching soap, he said it was taking time to make it right. So when I saw it on his site recently I had to buy it! And today I finally used it! WOW this might be the strongest scented soap I own. It filled the bathroom and I could still smell the soap on me after applying my witch hazel. I wait 15 min between aftershave applications.

If you enjoy Bay Rum burn and also enjoy Lime you need to buy this!

proxy.php

AWESOME JOURNAL !!!
Following this one for sure...
May need to start one for myself and chronicle my NEWB journies in wet shaving !

Top Bottom