What's new

Custom Vie-Long 12705 Horse Hair brush

Angry_Panda: I like both #2 and #3, but I think I'd get #3 for the unique factor.

The shortest loft I'd recommend is 47mm. 48mm-55mm is ideal for horse hair. The longer lofts get floppy quickly, causing you to use it like a paint brush. I've only tried the 50/50 mane & tail mix, and the brown (extra) hair, and I prefer the latter for face lathering. I'd recommend starting with a pure horse hair brush, and then possibly getting a mixed horse and badger.

The original brush is still nice and soft. The 47mm is great for face lathering, and I'm happy with the hair choice. I'd probably choose a different handle though.

Angry_Panda: I like both #2 and #3, but I think I'd get #3 for the unique factor.

The shortest loft I'd recommend is 47mm. 48mm-55mm is ideal for horse hair. The longer lofts get floppy quickly, causing you to use it like a paint brush. I've only tried the 50/50 mane & tail mix, and the brown (extra) hair, and I prefer the latter for face lathering. I'd recommend starting with a pure horse hair brush, and then possibly getting a mixed horse and badger.

The original brush is still nice and soft. The 47mm is great for face lathering, and I'm happy with the hair choice. I'd probably choose a different handle though.

Cool, then I will go with a 47mm and a 50mm knot on the number 2 and 3 handles and I guess I am gonna try the black horse hair...What is the worst that could happen, I don't like it and have to BST it ;) ? The 18mm knot on the other hand is just because I am fascinated by smaller brushes and how well they work for me even though I have rather large hands and tend to go heavy on the lather. I'll be trying to get the 18mm in pure horse (extra if I can) as opposed to the mixed, but I may not be so lucky.

Thanks for the update TZee, and in terms of your choices, I like 3 a lot too. I had Rudy make me a white handled black badger brush a few weeks ago and it is amazing (one of the reasons I was asking about the black horse, white and black just go so well together and really look awesome in a brush).

Well, this seemed like the best place to post this...Let's talk about a couple things related to horse hair.

Anyone try out the professional black horse hair (extra)?

I see mixed things, tail hair vs. mane hair and which one makes a brush softer, so which one is it?

Loft, anyone have multiple lofts of horse hair brushes and want to give some insight on how short is too short? Especially considering that the knots in the professional brushes are set at an outrageous 60mm and I was looking at less than 50mm for sure for my brushes.

Next, who has some of the mixed brushes from Vie-Long? Like a badger and horse mix, how does it compare?

Finally here are the three handles that I really like and am going to be picking up;

handle 1
handle 2
handle 3

The second two I will probably end up getting the brown and black hair brushes (the white one probably with the black extra and the black and clear with the brown extra). The first handle I guess I am going to leave with horse/badger mix and I might change the loft a little bit. Any suggestion on customizing these would be greatly appreciated.

Finally a couple last things, yes, Juan at Gifts and Care is an amazing vendor/person. He responds within hours, he answers random questions that are probably foolish heh. He is willing to work with you to get you what you want, and that right there is brilliant. If you want horse, seriously talk to Juan or just order from Gifts and Care, you will be happy.

And last, but certainly not least, TZee any update on the brush, how is the loft working out, how does the brush compare to other things you have? Do you find the loft at 47mm to be alright?

As always gents, thank you for any help...SBAD kind of just settled in this week so probably gonna be going crazy for a bit heh.

I haven't had the pleasure of using the professional Black horse Hair.
The Mane contributes stiffness/backbone to the Brush & Tail Hair contributes softness of the tips.

I don't have experience with the Professional Brushes, malocchio uses these Brushes and could provide good advice. Most of my lofts are between 46-54mm with a knot range between 20-23mm, I have a Vie-Long Horse set in a Rudy Vey Handle, 20mm knot @ 46mm loft, it definitely made for Face lathering Soaps. I wouldn't recommend going any lower on the loft using a 20mm knot, the bloom is minimal, but I have no trouble building or applying lather with this brush.

My two Vie-Long Horse/Bager Brushes are 48/20mm & 54/23, the smaller knot makes it good for Face lathering soaps & Creams, The higher loft/bigger knot still has good backbone & the bigger size makes it a better for Bowl Lathering.

On handle #1, a 48mm loft should be good, the one I received from the Factory was set ~51mm and was on the floppy side, it was ordered through a different Vendor, Before I found G&C.

Handles #2&3 will have the same knot size, I'd think about getting one with a 35/65% Mane/Tail mix @48mm and the other I might order a 50/50% Natural Mane/Tail @ 54mm, the different lofts and Hair mix would make each of these slightly different from each other

Thanks mftoms, this turned into a harder decision than I thought lol. Seioursly debating that black horse from their professional line, but you do make a good point bat getting the different ratios of hair in each brush and then ending up with some different brushes instead of possibly something that is so similar it makes no sense to have both.

Thanks again everyone, I'll make some decisions and post some pictures as soon as I get them :) .

In all honesty, you're going to get a few of these. I see a Pro model in my future, if for nothing more than the "cool" factor. It is fun shaving with long lofted brushes from time to time (why doesn't that sound G rated?).

I shaved with the custom 12705 today with D.R. Harris Arlington, and watched in amazement as that brown (extra) hair chewed it up. I had enough lather for at least 6 passes.

I'm interested in getting the exact same brush as the OP. I was actually lucky to stumble upon this thread and hear such good things. My question though is: It says the loft is 57mm and the knot is 23mm. By the sound of it, that loft is a bit tall. I bowl lather though. What should I do and what would you guys recommend? Someone mentioned you can get the owner of giftsandcare to customize your brush? How so?

I'm interested in getting the exact same brush as the OP. I was actually lucky to stumble upon this thread and hear such good things. My question though is: It says the loft is 57mm and the knot is 23mm. By the sound of it, that loft is a bit tall. I bowl lather though. What should I do and what would you guys recommend? Someone mentioned you can get the owner of giftsandcare to customize your brush? How so?

You can. I don't know if he's the owner, but Juan is fantastic at providing customer service. He worked with me to decide how I wanted to customize my brushes. Here's his email address: [email protected]

The easiest way to customize is to put your request in the Comment Area when you check out, Sample; Please Customize my Vie-Long 13800, with Natural Brown Horse 35/65% (mane/tail), 50/50 0r 65/35(pick one) Mane Hair= backbone/prickly, Tail= Softness/luxury; set @ 50mm good for Bowl & Face with a 50/50 or 65/35 or 48mm B & F for the 35/65, IMO. the knot size will be determined by the Handle you select, they will be 20mm & 23mm. the lofts suggested are only as guidance the actual choice is determined by you.

The 13800 that I used has the 20mm, which would be my knot size preference, if you use a 23mm knot I would add 1 or 2mm to the lofts I listed above. I do own a Horse/Badger mix with a 23mm knot which I like very much. Hope this helps, all your choices will be difficult because their are so many nice choices available. Take your time, this company won't be fading away, they seem to be getting very popular these past four months. Enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
I am loving my 12601 I picked up on the BST and want to go again.

Anyone know if it's Mane or Tail in the Badger combo brushes?

I am loving my 12601 I picked up on the BST and want to go again.

Anyone know if it's Mane or Tail in the Badger combo brushes?

It doesn't list a % but both hairs are firm in Backbone with softish tips and a pinch of scritch, the tips do feel softer with regular use, this is my Favorite and it's a 23mm knot with the Factory Loft, the actual loft is 53.9mm; http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/cata...brushes/127-horse-a-badger-shaving-brush.html

This is the other one I have, better for face Lathers, 20mm knot & actual loft is 52.4mm; http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/cata...brushes/121-horse-a-badger-shaving-brush.html

Both do come Banded.

^^^^^^^^^, The Boars are as well; http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/cata...aving-brushes/boar-bristle-shaving-brush.html http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/cata...g-brushes/455-boar-bristle-shaving-brush.html

Like the Mixed Hair, these are very firm at the Factory Loft with Soft tips, Banded Hair and I'm not sure if they produce unbanded, I didn't think to ask. Both handles have a comfortable grip, no slipping in my limited use, PIFed both (Big Mistake) and will re-order this Spring.

I'm breaking in two other Boars from a different Manufacturer, the knot already fell out of one, no evidence of being glued in the Very hollow & Light Plastic handle. The second custom came @ the factory setting, they were quick to respond to my e-mail, sending a replacement, still disappointed with the first Handle feeling so cheap considering it was >$30.00 shipped. I didn't complain about that, contemplating a Golden Nib or E-bay Every Ready to reset the knot because the Boar bristles themselves are nice & breaking in quickly.

Okay, you guys are talking me into another custom Vie-long. I had a Vie-long 13052 with an extra, undyed 20/55 knot. I found it too floppy and prickly when I face-lathered like I do with my boar and badgers brushes so I sold it.

I am thinking about trying a 23/47mm knot like the OP's with 35/65 mix (but I don't quite understand what mix I had and how I can not have a prickly brush again). My favorite brushes are a 22/47mm New Forest two-band (hint of fine scrubbiness that I like), 23/46mm TGN Finest (very soft but not floppy) and a 21/50mm Semogue boar (610) (soft with a hint of coarse scrubbiness).

Suggestions?

Last edited:
...I am thinking about trying a 23/46mm knot like the OP's with 35/65 mix (but I quite understand what mix I had and how I can not have a prickly brush again)...

Suggestions?

I'd suggest a loft no lower than 49mm, If you lower that loft 11mm, the knot will act denser and won't bloom as much since more hair will be inside the handle, they'll make the hole deeper, not necessarily wider. I just ordered one Thursday with my loft @50mm.

I have a Vie-Long Horse, 35/65, in a Rudy Vey Handle, set @45mm with a 20mm knot, the tips are soft and it Bloomed nicely due to the smaller knot, The backbone is Firm and it Devours Soaps. This is the Bloom after two Months, I love This Brush for Face lathering.

Attachments

• $IMG_2255.jpg
    $IMG_2255.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 110
  • $IMG_2257.jpg
    $IMG_2257.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 111
  • $IMG_2258.jpg
    $IMG_2258.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 111
  • $IMG_2259.jpg
    $IMG_2259.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 110
As always, thanks for the tips, mftoms59. I still think I may try a "hair" under 49mm because that 55mm was way too floppy for me.

As always, thanks for the tips, mftoms59. I still think I may try a "hair" under 49mm because that 55mm was way too floppy for me.

Knot :ohmy: trying to discourage you, just food for thought, you might request the knot hole widened by a mm or two, allowing the hairs a little room to "Breathe"

Top Bottom