What's new

Cowboy boots?

I was talking with a buddy that was telling me how great the Black Jack boots that can be customized through Cavender's Boot City. Do any of you gents have any experience with them? Thoughts?

Hi I've never had them customized but have a couple pairs of Blackjacks bought from Tim's when they just opened, one's a bit too delicate for everyday wear being hornback, but the other one is a roper that is probably one of the most comfortable off the shelf boots I've owned.

Rios are great boots as well, I have a couple pairs in starred stingray & elephant, nothing fancy but really well made & comfortable, they really grow on you.

I have some older vintage Black Label Lama's for daily wear, they seem to fit my foot pretty good for a non custom boot, I tend to wear a couple pairs in french calf & elephant the most, though the "sharpest" one I think I have is a great pair in black cobra from a small custom maker in El Paso, once again, some meltonian once in a while & it only comes out when it's dry indoor stuff.

El Paso has got all kinds of custom bootmakers & really, most of them can't be beat by most of the known names; there are some real gems there.

I am a big fan of Rod Patrick boots, and I have been through a lot.....Justin, Lucchese, Nocona, TO Stanley, Rio of Mercedes, custom Tony Lamas. I haven't found a better, more comfortable boot.

I guess I will throw my 2 cents worth in.

Alberta Boot Company. They have odd sizing so it is better to go down there and get sized. They make the boots themselves in the back so you can get custom ones made up easy. I own several pairs in steer hide. The best thing about them is when the soles are worn out you can send them back to be re-soled. New shoes that are already broken in.

http://www.albertaboot.com/

Johnny

I have a couple pair of Ariat Ropers that I love. I tried Justins and a few other brands in my price range when I went looking and none of them compared in fit and comfort. If you live in the Atlanta area, Horsetown is a great place to shop.

I have a pair of kangaroo skin Lucchese boots that I got close to 15 years ago that were the most comfortable thing I had ever put on my foot, but my feet have grown a little bit since then and now they feel too tight unless I wear a nylon dress sock or no sock at all. Anyone know if there is a way to stretch the boot out a little bit so it fits? I'd hate to ruin the boot trying to do it when I could just give them to someone who may get some wear out of them, but if there's a way I would love to have my boots back. Any ideas are welcome.

How did I miss this thread!

Children <10 Cowboy boots = OK
Anyone else Cowboy boots = NEVER

The obvious exception is people in Texas of which you make up 90% of this thread. :lol::lol:

I saw way more cowboy boots in San Diego then I have seen in Austin. You want to see a lot of cowboy boots? Go to Hollywood.

I agree with this, I have seen way more boots in Hollywood than expected.
I live here in Utah, and see a fair amount of boots on people. I farm and run horses so I wear boots alot. My current "go to" pair is this pair of Ariats. They are quite comfortable. I also agree with what everyone else has said, lots of good boots out there, but each foot fits a different cut/brand/style/material in it's own way, try some on to truly find a good fit.

I have a pair of Lucchese boots that I've had for about five years. I love them.

I'll probably stick with the brand because I'm big on brand loyalty.

How to the Dan Post boots rank with the other 'non-top shelf' brands?
Do they compare with the Justin, Durango, etc.?

How to the Dan Post boots rank with the other 'non-top shelf' brands?
Do they compare with the Justin, Durango, etc.?

I know this thread is about 3 years old, but Jabo, if you see this, I wanted to answer your question.

No Dan Post boots are made in the USA -- all in Mexico. Therefore, I wouldn't rate them all that highly. I'd rate Justin higher -- at least its USA-made models. As for Durango, I'd rank them way lower than Dan Post; those boots are made in China.

In a nutshell, I'd rate Dan Post below American-made Justin, Tony Lama, and Nocona models but WAY above made-in-China brands like Ariat, Durango, Laredo, Dingo, etc.

I love my Lucchese alligators, but the pair of house brand Hippos that I picked up at Wild Bills in Dallas is outrageously comfortable. Unfortunately being sueded, I find them a little too fragile for wearing to work, but if it's just for a night on the town, they're amazingly comfortable and look spectacular.

+2 to Anderson beans i have 4 pairs of them, 3 pairs of Tony Llama, I like all of them but AB will rebuild the boots for you whereas TL will not. I would highly recommend either of them. Nocona Boots have turned to crap they were made down the road from where I grew up and could go buy seconds at the store, now that they are made in mexico they are not 1/4 of the boots they were.

How did I miss this thread!

Children <10 Cowboy boots = OK
Anyone else Cowboy boots = NEVER

I'll have to disagree with that. But then I grew up in Alberta.

Holy necroposting. Did I just respond to a post from 2010? DOH!! :redface-new:

Last edited:
Top Bottom