What's new

Preferences regarding "types" of blades across brands?

Like @BigJ, I'm not aware of any standards for blade labeling. And I find most blade differences to be minor. That said however, I do seem to get better results from SS blades than Chrome, with Platinum in between. Still, the three types overlap so much that there really is no major difference. And that's even before you get to the YMMV effect.

You have to try each one yourself.

This is pretty much my experience and impression also, although for me I might swap out ptfe labeled blades from platinum.

The only coating I will not knowingly even experiment with now is ptfe. My first experience with ptfe was with Voskhods, and it left a bad enough impression on me that I just won't go there again.

You would be hard pressed to find a blade NOT coated with PTFE these days. PTFE only last a few shaves as a rule, so it will have essentially zero effect after that. The exact formula varies with maker I'd assume, so one brands PTFE may not be the same as another's.

I prefer platinum coated blades, they last longer for me with greater comfort. Note that not all blades with "platinum" in the name are actually platinum coated! It can be trademark without actual platinum coating. Platinum and chrome (along with PTFE and ceramic coatings) are intended to reduce cutting friction to give less pulling sensation. All the metals and ceramic last a lot longer than PTFE, which is probably why I prefer platinum coated blades.

The coatings typically only cover the actual honed cutting bevel which is usually quite small, the entire blade is not coated, not even most of the visible bevel. Keeps costs down and applies the coatings to the only place they have any effect.

Do chromium blades exhibit a smoother, gentler cut than those treated with platinum, PTFE, and carbon coatings?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm not clever enough to keep track of which coating is on which blade, or what difference that makes. I figure blades are cheap and I can just buy a pack and give them a try. I'm currently using PolSilver SI and I also like Wizamet - do they have the same coating? Beats me.

I have no idea if chrome alone is better, and I suspect most blades are coated with a mixture of metals and PTFE, and the new thing is amorphous diamond (carbon coating) which should both reduce friction and greatly reduce wear.

I wouldn't chose blades by their coatings, I chose them by how they work for me.

Humour alert!

Neither silver nor blue, but distinguished by being the only blade on the market which is coated in kevlar.

This makes for a remarkably economical blade for the wet shaver, as it takes on average 4 months before the coating wears off and you can actually get to the edge.
I thought the Kevlar coating was so you can wipe the edge with reckless abandon without fear of cutting yourself.:biggrin1:

Seriously though, moisture degrades the strength of Kevlar.

Top Bottom