What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I asked Maurice for a La Verte and he sent me this one: a beatiful 175x40 :001_wub:
I've owned one La Verte before but this one is quite fast on slurry and it's a good finisher too. It gives a lot of feedback too... together with my Asagi it finally tamed my Grelot 1/4 into a nice BBS shaver :biggrin1:

Attachments

• $La Verte.jpg
    $La Verte.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 253
That's a nice 'ol spotted dog you have there Gatto. Congrats. I am eargely awating a reply from maurice about a recent request. Doing the PP dance in anticipation!

Jon

okay, roger that, you're unsure whether it's selct or standard...no biggie, I was just wonderin'...

FWIW the piece of La Verte I have here-
proxy.php

middle stone, lower row, it's a standard piece I bought from Jarrod for $63 delivered (40X150mm) I thought that was a righteous price but one of the reasons I paid what I did for it, the vein is thin compared to others he had. That said, I doubt I'll wear it out in my lifetime

Also too, I bought it to be used as finisher, in progression following BBW, and used following other stones, for finish work. Now I never used it as or for a full on dilucot until after Jon borrowed it from me and he told me he did a few dilucots with it, and they turned out well for him, so naturally I ended up doing dilucot with it it and by God, it was rather swift on slurry

It may just be me but I've found mine likes flattening (lapping). If I just let it roll I find the surface gets bumpy after a bit, or feels that way to me yet when I give it a once over with my DMT, it feels smooth as glass again

FWIW and I'm getting off topic but I just ordered some beeswax sticks and I think I'm going to make Emmanuel's paste to be used on top of any coticule, sort of like what others are doing with plain oil yet Emmanuel's formula uses equal parts of turpentine mixed with the beeswax. I'll have top look up the exact directions but I think you measure each by weight, then slowly allow to melt together. Directions are on coticule.be

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

My new bout from Jarrod. It is very nice. Fast on slurry and medium fast on water. Other than the manganese lines the top is clean and pure. So nice!

Attachments

• $Bout2.jpg
    $Bout2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 232
Just got this in fro Jarrod. It's a 175x40 slate back but have no clue as to what vein. Jarrod said it was pretty fast on slurry and medium/slow on water. I haven't used it yet but will give it a try tomorrow.

Attachments

• $P1000839.jpg
    $P1000839.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 189
  • $P1000841.jpg
    $P1000841.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 187
  • $P1000847.jpg
    $P1000847.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 189
Just got this in fro Jarrod. It's a 175x40 slate back but have no clue as to what vein. Jarrod said it was pretty fast on slurry and medium/slow on water. I haven't used it yet but will give it a try tomorrow.

It's hard to tell with those pictures, but, if I had to guess, I'd say that it looks like they cut right between what's a typical La Grise sublayer and a very hard sublayer. You could compare to this: http://artisanshaving.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=925#p12717 Jarrod had another specimen that was very similar to yours a while ago that looked about the same (based on what I can tell from your pictures) and had similar properties.

I'm going to guess that is La Vienette

It's almost impossible to tell without seeing the side of the stone. Other layers show the lines that you see on the top, including La Dressante and La Petite Blanche.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Here are mine, vintage combo with not very much coticule remaining, small Les Lat, 50X150 La Grise, 40X150 La Verte or (La Grise?) combo.

$IMG_2876.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to tell with those pictures, but, if I had to guess, I'd say that it looks like they cut right between what's a typical La Grise sublayer and a very hard sublayer. You could compare to this: http://artisanshaving.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=925#p12717 Jarrod had another specimen that was very similar to yours a while ago that looked about the same (based on what I can tell from your pictures) and had similar properties.

I do believe that is what Jarrod had told me, a La Grise. Here are some more pics.

Honed a razor on it from bevel set to finish. It was pretty darn fast with a slurry and on the slow side with water. I also noticed it has a grainy feel to it while hone but is perfectly smooth to the touch. Over all I like it.

Attachments

• $P1000851.jpg
    $P1000851.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 168
  • $P1000852.jpg
    $P1000852.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 166
  • $P1000853.jpg
    $P1000853.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 168
  • $P1000855.jpg
    $P1000855.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 167
I do believe that is what Jarrod had told me, a La Grise. Here are some more pics.

Honed a razor on it from bevel set to finish. It was pretty darn fast with a slurry and on the slow side with water. I also noticed it has a grainy feel to it while hone but is perfectly smooth to the touch. Over all I like it.

That seems to confirm that it's of the sublayer I described. Thanks for the pictures.

I've had a hone with that sublayer and really wanted to try it, but that layer was about 5mm beneath the surface of the hone. I didn't have the heart to remove that much life from the hone. On the bright side, when I sold it, I got to teach a dad and his son how to use it, so maybe his son will discover that sublayer someday.

@dj- LPB would have a or some red lines running through the top as well as the black maganese that appears on Jon's, & Dressante...all examples I've ever seen have a muddled appearance and not the classic solid pale yellow Jon's stone has. A side profile will help in identifying

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

@dj- LPB would have a or some red lines running through the top as well as the black maganese that appears on Jon's, & Dressante...all examples I've ever seen have a muddled appearance and not the classic solid pale yellow Jon's stone has. A side profile will help in identifying

No, La Petite Blanche does not necessarily have anything red in it. The typical indicators are a pale color and blue, often swirled lines running through the side. La Dressante can often be equally pale, and I've had several such examples, one of which was almost white. Both layers can have manganese lines.

Top Bottom