What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

The "bootfair" gem cleaned up really nicely...actually the box came out really well too...stunning patina:

$DSC_1466.JPG

The hone had a lot of scratches and a small depression in the centre but it is fine now...

$DSC_1467.JPG

A really nice old stone indeed...

$DSC_1468.JPG

It was a good job that the little flash of cream showed itself...it's fairly clear now!

$DSC_1469.JPG

Cheers folks!

Jim

Very nice, i love vinatge combos. You should get you a slurry stone to fit in the gap in the box where the stone sits.

I had to show you boys this one. Picked it up last weekend for 10 bucks.
Big natural combo. Havent had a chance to really play with it yet but first impression is that it seems to be a nice fine finisher.
$7a.jpg
Grant

Here is what I have been waiting the past week for. It's #10 natural combo La Veinette from Ardennes. This thing is a brick. I'll try to get a better picture of it later the markings on it look like the surface of the moon.
proxy.php

proxy.php

My newest coticule addition....This 50 x 150 piece of La Grise magic came in today just in time for some honing. Smoooooth as silk.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Big natural combo. Havent had a chance to really play with it yet but first impression is that it seems to be a nice fine finisher.

Very pretty side profile on that stone.

Can anyone help me identify this coticule?
$20120614_090300.jpg$20120614_090305.jpg$20120614_090316.jpg$20120614_090255.jpg
Sadly I'm going to part with it as me and kamisoris have taken a different road and Western Straights are all gone. We also need more space.....

I know there is nothing wrong with honing a kamisori on a coticule. I just find it too small and not fine enough to make my kamis as sharp as I want them to be. For the western straights it was great, not hair popping but fine. Also I'm temporarily abroad and I would rather have one stone instead of having a few. Plus Jnats aren't cheap :bored: so I'm trying to travel as light as possible. For now I have a Nakayamatomo naguara and an Ozuku Asagi with Botan and Mejiro on the way.

I made another post about kamisori's and added a link about coticule honing. I think it was Maxim from Japanesenaturalstones. I don't know if this is fast or slow? and he had two different coticules that put two different edges. This is the link to it http://japanesenaturalstones.blogspot.kr/2011/06/big-test.html

Based on the condition, I'm assuming that this was not recently mined, in which case identification is close to impossible since we don't know what mine it came from. Also, there's nothing wrong with using a coticule to hone kamisori. For example, look at this: http://easternsmooth.com/blog/jim-rion/2011/09/13/677-102nd-way-skin-cat-kamisori-honing-again

Last edited:
I know there is nothing wrong with honing a kamisori on a coticule. I just find it too small and not fine enough to make my kamis as sharp as I want them to be. For the western straights it was great, not hair popping but fine. Also I'm temporarily abroad and I would rather have one stone instead of having a few. Plus Jnats aren't cheap :bored: so I'm trying to travel as light as possible. For now I have a Nakayamatomo naguara and an Ozuku Asagi with Botan and Mejiro on the way.

I made another post about kamisori's and added a link about coticule honing. I think it was Maxim from Japanesenaturalstones. I don't know if this is fast or slow? and he had two different coticules that put two different edges. This is the link to it http://japanesenaturalstones.blogspot.kr/2011/06/big-test.html

If you aren't getting hair popping edges with either western straight razors or kamisori, my bets are on the need for more practice with that stone. But, it sounds like you're really set on something else regardless. I do find the idea of replacing one stone and a slurry stone with another (more expensive) stone and three slurry stones--and justifying it as a measure for having less--a bit comical, though. I guess I have a different idea of what "one stone instead of having a few" means.

I've seen that blog post by Maxim before. I am confused about why he'd say "This is not sharpness test !!" then go on and make assessments about how sharp an edge each stone would leave. Anyway, I've not had problems with getting the same sharp and smooth edge from different coticules, whether they're supposedly "hard" or "soft" or fast or slow (or for kamisoris or something else).

Ah ... i forgot to mention I had three King stones( 1000 ( for setting the bevel, 4000 ( mistakenly used it thinking it was a 6000 and couldn't return it, and 6000 + balsa strop and newspaper) the coticule was suppose to be the finisher (before the strop and newspaper ( I have no slurry stone). So it would seem comical at the moment.

Hmm.... I've read some of your previous posts so I'll take your advice. I'm still new and experimenting with all these things and I'm bound to make mistakes. I had paco hone some blades for me so those are my examples of edge sharpness. I guess I should go back and give it some more time.

If you aren't getting hair popping edges with either western straight razors or kamisori, my bets are on the need for more practice with that stone. But, it sounds like you're really set on something else regardless. I do find the idea of replacing one stone and a slurry stone with another (more expensive) stone and three slurry stones--and justifying it as a measure for having less--a bit comical, though. I guess I have a different idea of what "one stone instead of having a few" means.

I've seen that blog post by Maxim before. I am confused about why he'd say "This is not sharpness test !!" then go on and make assessments about how sharp an edge each stone would leave. Anyway, I've not had problems with getting the same sharp and smooth edge from different coticules, whether they're supposedly "hard" or "soft" or fast or slow (or for kamisoris or something else).

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
View attachment 248877
Grant

Baldy, Sorry for the late question (I need to check this thread more often, obviously). Did you find that in the wild in Aus? I've never seen more than an oil stone or a barber hone, and it's not like I'm not looking...

The top one is a vintage barbers coticule and measures 17 x 4 (cm)
The bottom one is more recent and measures 5,5 x 17 x 8,5 x 17 (cm)
Can anyone identify both stones despite the less than optimal picture quality?
$DSC_0326.jpg

Top Bottom