What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

There is no way to identify the vintage Marcel. Sorry... On the other If you could please take a closer pic of top and a side view that would be most hopeful. (close on the side too please)

Oh,bummer, I wasn't reading all of it, lets blame it on the cellphone :blushing:
New pics, of the not-so-vintage coticule. The surface feels very smooth, more than the vintage one I have.
overview:
$DSC_0333.jpg
side:
$DSC_0332.jpg
close-up:
$DSC_0331.jpg

The lighting is very poor in those pictures. Taking the pictures outside for the natural light would help. However, I believe that the newly mined one could be from the vein called La Grosse Blanche based on your pictures, but it that's not a very definitive guess. Note the following:

Identifying Coticule layers is a bit like identifying mushrooms.
We could sketch up a sort of taxonomy, but without proper experience, misidentification is very likely, all the more when one can only go by pictures. That said, I'm not one to withheld information, so her goes:
4. La Grosse Blanche.
Pale colored Coticule layer, that turns deep brown when exposed to (sun) light for a prolonged time. Black manganese lines and dots may be present. Sometimes brown needle-spots, spread over part of the surface, resembling pores (although the surface is non-porous).
Slurry has a characteristic soapy texture. Speed on slurry is fast to moderate. Speed on water generally very slow, but the presence of said brown spots predicts a faster behavior on water. Usually much "slurry dulling", but mellow, skin friendly edges when finished on water.
(from: http://coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/1727.html)

Does the stone exhibit darkening at the surface when exposed to light for a period of time?

Some are easy to tell Marcel and others are not so easy. That stone could be of several possibilities but its likely even the owner of the mine could not positively tell you what it is. How hard is it to lap or work up a slurry?

Hmm, it was pouring today and the attempt to take decent shots failed miserably.
I'll give it a go tomorrow, thanks for your time so far!

Found this one today out in the wild. Any ideas as to what layer it could be?

Attachments

• $P1000542.jpg
    $P1000542.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 164
  • $P1000545.jpg
    $P1000545.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 167
  • $P1000547.jpg
    $P1000547.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 166
I can't say that I've ever seen a coticule that looks like that. I wouldn't have been 100% sure it's a coticule if I just saw pictures on, say, eBay.

Since it's slate-backed, it almost certainly would have come from Ardennes-Coticule. Maurice would likely know more about it if you sent him pictures.

I can't say that I've ever seen a coticule that looks like that. I wouldn't have been 100% sure it's a coticule if I just saw pictures on, say, eBay.

Since it's slate-backed, it almost certainly would have come from Ardennes-Coticule. Maurice would likely know more about it if you sent him pictures.

Maybe I'll do just that, thanks.

I tried to find an email address but to no avail. Does anyone know what it is?

Last edited:
That is a beautiful Coticule Rick! Almost looks like Birdseye Maple instead of a rock. Let us know your findings. I agree with contacting Maurice about it's origins.

Top Bottom