What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Here is another Les Lat, crosscut, after 3 hours of lapping, still not done.......
This stone is as hard as an transark.

proxy.php

greets Sebastian.

Sweet Les Lat!! I'm wondering if anyone could help and tell me if they think the Coti I just got is a natural. I'm thinking it's a glued Combo but I don't have it in my hand yet.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
It's hard to tell. Looks like its probably glued cause its such a clean line but you never know! I've got my fingers crossed for you.

That's a nice stone Sebastian. What are you using to lap?

A DMT extra course (120).... The stone was a little convex, only maybe 0,5mm, an 5 minute job with an ordinary coti, but this rock is really as hard as a rock.:laugh: I`ll post pics when i`m finished with lapping.

This one is really nice and you can see the transmission of LesLat and the huge hybrid side betwen two layers of BBW. The LesLat side is about 1 inch thick thick and glued to another 1inch beatiful BBW. The whole stoe measures about 7*2,5*2inch.

greets Sebastian.

A DMT extra course (120).... The stone was a little convex, only maybe 0,5mm, an 5 minute job with an ordinary coti, but this rock is really as hard as a rock.:laugh: I`ll post pics when i`m finished with lapping.

This one is really nice and you can see the transmission of LesLat and the huge hybrid side betwen two layers of BBW. The LesLat side is about 1 inch thick thick and glued to another 1inch beatiful BBW. The whole stoe measures about 7*2,5*2inch.

greets Sebastian.

I have better results using a finer lapping plate on harder stones for some reason or switching between multiple grits even, as compared to one single low grit plate.

Pretty sure that Pike's glued. It looks like it... and I want to say almost every vintage pike coti I've seen was glued.

That Crosscut les lat is insanely cool looking.

I have better results using a finer lapping plate on harder stones for some reason or switching between multiple grits even, as compared to one single low grit plate.

My routine for Coticule lapping is always DMT 120, 325, Chosera 1k, sometimes 3k, and finally intense slurrying with a BBW. This stone give nearly no slurry with a DMT 325 (its a little worked out, but still a good cutter.....).
I also tryed Sic powder on hardened Steel plate, doesn`t work....., 3M sandpaper looses grit after a few turns and nearly nothing happend....

greets Sebastian.

I am sure a new 400 or 600 Atoma Plate would lap that stone and break in quite well too but I know what your going through. I have owned and lapped at least 3 of them and its no quick chore. They are every bit as hard as a translucent Arky.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice HeeS. Does it have lateral lines in the side? My LVR slurry stone looks like your typical La Grise on top, (pretty soft) and then merges into the LVR layer (I guess) which is really hard. One corner even looks Les Lat-ish.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 147
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 151
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 148
Le veine renge size 10 bout

View attachment 446609

Well folks I would save your money for now... I'm not a coticule genius but I have four that I use regularly... This lvr feels like the razor is going over concrete dispute lapping it multiple times and switching razors.... On slurry it's moderate fast to fast but on water it's impossibly slow... I couldn't get it to undercut at all... I have never seen anything like it... And still felt like going over concrete compared to my other coticules....

I may try again with another razor but probably not... Gonna ask if I can send it back... Still on the hunt for a large coticule that will match my tiny les lat in performance... :-(

Well folks I would save your money for now... I'm not a coticule genius but I have four that I use regularly... This lvr feels like the razor is going over concrete dispute lapping it multiple times and switching razors.... On slurry it's moderate fast to fast but on water it's impossibly slow... I couldn't get it to undercut at all... I have never seen anything like it... And still felt like going over concrete compared to my other coticules....

I may try again with another razor but probably not... Gonna ask if I can send it back... Still on the hunt for a large coticule that will match my tiny les lat in performance... :-(

Well I was able to coax a good edge on it... Had to use a really light touch... Finished up on DP Escher ... Great edge but it took more work than I'm used to on my other coticules

Medium fast to fast on slurry... Slowww on water and feedback is really rough

Just ordered a Les Lat off TSS. Really excited to try this stone. I have a big La Grisse that polishes well with just water (feels like soapy glass), and a La Dressante bout that is faster on slurry, and water. It leaves a sand blasted looking finish. Interested to learn the personality of this Les Lat. I am not sure if I am allowed to post pics from his site, but it's a beaut!

Top Bottom