What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Found this guy today. First coticule I have found in a long time around here. The BBW on it is very light colored. Never had one that looks like this before. It's pretty soft too. Not sure if the inclusion on the BBW side will affect honing, I can't feel any difference with my finger, but that doesn't mean anything. It measures 4.75"x1.75"x.75". I'm sure it was set in a piece of wood at sometime or another by the shape.

Dry
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398207708.802507.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398207726.230237.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398207735.267707.jpg

Wet
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398207748.115095.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398207758.867765.jpg

Good looking stone and a nice pick up! I would have to try that backside as well as the front (seems I have said that before somewhere) :ohmy:

My first natural stone just arrived, from The Superior Shave. A select 60mm x 200mm coti, with a pretty large slurry stone. It shipped quickly, and arrived very fast. I can recommend TSS highly. I have purchased a razor and now a coti from them, on two different orders. No issues at all. He sends razors with a nice edge, too.

This coti was #9082 on his site, if you have ever visited to drool on rocks, like I do. It was listed out separate from the others in the 8" section. It has a really uniform color/pattern, and is light colored. The vein wasn't listed, so if anyone wants to take a shot, please do. I'd love to hear your thoughts. I haven't run a razor over it yet, so guesses will need to be based on pics alone.

$photo 1.JPG$photo 2.JPG$photo 3.JPG$photo 4.JPG$photo 5.JPG

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice stone there! That's a La Grise (I think) and a BIG one at that! You'll love it. Yeah jarred really is great to deal with. I bought my first natural from him that was very similar to yours. Let us know how the first test drive turns out! Congrats!

That is a big chunk of Belgian real estate! I have to side with Dcaddo and say that is most likely a La Grise stone. Just looking at that makes me want to go hone something.

Thanks, guys. In a follow up email, after it arrived, I asked Jarred (Jarrod? He doesn't sign his emails) for his thoughts. He has actually run over 100 razors over this coti. He said his educated guess is that it is a La Grise, too.

I have been playing with it a bit. I don't have any coti comparisons, but it seems very hard. It doesn't auto slurry at all. I also think it is probably on the slow side. I get no gray in the water, even with medium pressure, on water only. I get some after 5 passes or so on a light milky slurry, but nothing like a La Dressante vid I watched on YouTube. I haven't tried a heavy slurry, yet. Jarrod also said it tends toward the slow side, but the surface area makes up for it.

I was surprised by the feel with slurry vs. water. If there is any slurry at all, it feels sticky - like it's doing work, even with light pressure. Water only, and it is like glass at any pressure. As for results, I haven't shaved, yet. Judging by thumb pad and tree topping, it is probably close to what I was getting off a Nani SS progression (1K, 5K, 8K, 12K). Not quite as bitey on the thumb pad.

The reason I looked for something other than the SSs is the slurry was sticking to the stones, a lot. I'd have to lap a few times to clean them every few minutes. If I didn't, the blade felt sticky over the buildup, and results were worse. Thankfully, no buildup at all, on the coti.

I look forward to getting to know this stone, but I am thinking heavy/medium pressure slurry through water, and only light for the final polish. Will take a lot more trial and error, though.

Last edited:
The Coti under the razor is new to me, came by way of a trade with a friend. I brought a bag of stuff, he had some stuff and we swapped.
Anyway - it's a verrrrry hard Dressante. It came with two slurry stones - my girl absconded with one of them, the triangular one is, I think, La Petite Blanche. The rest of the stuff is out for some fun playing around.

$Coti Testing 1.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice stone. Love those hard dressantes. That should hone up some really spicy edges.

Top Bottom