What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Just ordered a Les Lat off TSS. Really excited to try this stone. I have a big La Grisse that polishes well with just water (feels like soapy glass), and a La Dressante bout that is faster on slurry, and water. It leaves a sand blasted looking finish. Interested to learn the personality of this Les Lat. I am not sure if I am allowed to post pics from his site, but it's a beaut!
that number 8 bout? That thing is a BEAUT! Good size and shape too. You're gonna love it! Congrats!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I think it was worth it. I got my LL last week ( they're probably brothers) and am loving it. I've been doing standard dilocut with the coticule side, then plain water or oil on the hybrid side with great results. They seem to be very user friendly. Now you have to wait for the longest two days of your life!

Soooo I bought another one. Damnit. It's a problem. This one is just very different than the others I own so I couldn't resist. I like 4"x2" size.
$$_3-29.JPG$$_3-15.JPG$$_3-26.JPG

Haha. You've got it bad! Cool stone. Nice score

My girlfriend believes I've become a geologist in the last couple months. Golf season can't get here soon enough to my attention away from ebay/B&B. Once the weather is actually nice enough here I wont be stuck in the house having nothing better to do than browse stones lol.

Bought this today in the middle of nowhere for $10 USD!! 5" X 2.5"! $10!! This is La Grise, right? I want to know so I can source an appropriate slurry stone for this.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

$10!!!

Thank you for the input. I was unaware that the designations for various cotis were limited to the veins Ardennes mined until you told me that, and Bart from coticule.be explained a bit further. I ordered one of the slurry stones tss sells.

Last edited:
Thank you for the input. I was unaware that the designations for various cotis were limited to the veins Ardennes mined until you told me that, and Bart from coticule.be explained a bit further. I ordered one of the slurry stones tss sells.
You are welcome. Bart is very knowledgable.

Very nice stones Sebastian. It looks like a La Grise and the other I would say is la Veinette but the spots seen in the side make me unsure.

Thanks Scott, the bigger one is most likely a LaGrise but harder than any LaGrise i got so far. No Autoslurry with Razors, very easy to achieve a good HHT. Medium speed with Slurry, just a little faster than a LaVerte without.
The Bout is much faster with and without Slurry, i have no clue what layer it could be, maybe La Dressante? like this one:

http://www.coticule.be/coticule-sample-repository/items/26.html

I tryed them with tools yesterday and with preassure they work very fast.

My first thougts on this stones was, they came from saxonia, so they had to be bought before the second world war, but they are likely younger stones maybe out of the Burton era, in the 80`s. They where only lightly dished, just a single mm maybe, but there where another stones out of the same source, my friend kept for using, that where heavy dished.

Here is one of my favorite stones, maybe the fastest i got, a little soft, but extraordinary fast, to fast for Razor finish!
Should be a La Dressante too (upper Layer). But looks completely different, also the feeling while honing is very similar.

proxy.php

greets Sebastian.

Last edited:
The stone is not likely Dressante because they generally will have diagonal lines in the sides like in the one you linked to and also won't have that horizontal line in the BBW. You may see if Bart at Coticule.be has any insight if its important to you.The la Grise does have a hard side and I have used soe that were faster than average and rather hard for that vein too. They seemed to be the easiest to get a nice razor edge from imo.
The stone you have pictured now could well be Dressante yes. Very nice looking stone with a slight blush to it from what I can tell.

Last edited:
I think that is probably a good idea. I have a couple of others that are harder than this one, for sure. I haven't played with a BBW at all. Just ran a pocket knife on this blue side of the slurry stone, to check it out. It is really soft, and auto slurries like crazy. I assume the yellow side isn't much harder.

Worst case, I have a pretty hard LD bout I could slurry the LL with. At work, so no playing with the LL yet.

Thanks Scott, the bigger one is most likely a LaGrise but harder than any LaGrise i got so far. No Autoslurry with Razors, very easy to achieve a good HHT. Medium speed with Slurry, just a little faster than a LaVerte without.
The Bout is much faster with and without Slurry, i have no clue what layer it could be, maybe La Dressante? like this one:

The bout looks like a typical "Tiger" striped stone - at leats in parts. I just purchased one with a somehow comparable mottling from Maurice at Ardennes coticule and he told me that all of the so-called Tiger-striped stones are Dressantes. So you should be right with your guess.

Top Bottom