What's new

Convince me to not get a Plisson during Black Friday

You know, I think everyone with a real interest in shaving ought to own one Plisson blaireau (badger) brush, whether this style of knot is their preference or not.

It is the world’s oldest shaving brush company and the founders were among the first ever to make a shaving brush, even before the Plisson company was formed. And when France invented the shaving brush it was the exact time that France was also ushering in the modern world and inspiring the American constitution with novel ideas of freedom, equality, and the common good.

A Plisson is a living piece of history and, with the rate at which old shaving businesses are disappearing these days, wouldn’t you always regret it if something happened to Plisson and they were never to be made again?

There, I did it again. Apologies to the OP and anyone else who might be led astray in such an expensive fashion.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Black Friday and the holidays are almost upon us. I have had my eyes on a plisson brush for several plus years, but the reviews and the floppy notoriety has stopped me thus far. To me, part of the collecting appeal is acquiring objects that are made in different parts of the world.

I think with the amount of thought I have given it, I should just pull the trigger. Favorite current brush in my collection is a simpson chubby silvertip, followed by M&F finest. Leaning towards the european white in size 12.

Please help me help myself from disappointment.
If you prefer brushes like you mentioned, you will not enjoy the Plisson. I have one, and it a total different animal like most brushes we are used to. Not to say they are bad, it is just another approach of making brushes. They are not very densely stuffed like a Chubby or most of the other brands, and have a long loft, much longer than you are used to. They have their lovers and friends, but it is not my kind of brush. But, YMMV as we say here.
This is the one I have, a size 12 European White. The handle is hollow and very light. I use it a few times a year, like tomorrow as i just dug it up.
Plisson Euro White 12.jpg

You know, I think everyone with a real interest in shaving ought to own one Plisson blaireau (badger) brush, whether this style of knot is their preference or not.

It is the world’s oldest shaving brush company and the founders were among the first ever to make a shaving brush, even before the Plisson company was formed. And when France invented the shaving brush it was the exact time that France was also ushering in the modern world and inspiring the American constitution with novel ideas of freedom, equality, and the common good.

A Plisson is a living piece of history and, with the rate at which old shaving businesses are disappearing these days, wouldn’t you always regret it if something happened to Plisson and they were never to be made again?

There, I did it again. Apologies to the OP and anyone else who might be led astray in such an expensive fashion.
I agree!

If you prefer brushes like you mentioned, you will not enjoy the Plisson. I have one, and it a total different animal like most brushes we are used to. Not to say they are bad, it is just another approach of making brushes. They are not very densely stuffed like a Chubby or most of the other brands, and have a long loft, much longer than you are used to. They have their lovers and friends, but it is not my kind of brush. But, YMMV as we say here.
This is the one I have, a size 12 European White. The handle is hollow and very light. I use it a few times a year, like tomorrow as i just dug it up.
View attachment 1748537
That’s the exact model I just ordered. It might be the brush I enjoy looking at rather than using. Appreciate the help!

Rudy Vey

I agree!

That’s the exact model I just ordered. It might be the brush I enjoy looking at rather than using. Appreciate the help!
If you read correctly on their site, you may get a three or a two-band brush.....mine in the picture is more like a two-band, on their site it looks like a nice three band. You also see a lot of upside hairs in mine, which I at the price point would not expect to see.

I agree!

You’ll get to see what a Plisson is like. What Rudy says is right - it is much less dense and much higher lofted than the brushes you mentioned. Size 12 is only 22mm diameter but it has 56mm loft. I love that, but it is a soft brush with low backbone. You should find a touch of scritch in the European White tips.

If you read correctly on their site, you may get a three or a two-band brush.....mine in the picture is more like a two-band, on their site it looks like a nice three band. You also see a lot of upside hairs in mine, which I at the price point would not expect to see.
Rudy, I am curious about this. I have brushes with some black tips that are still very fine and tapered, and feel the same as the white tips. And I have other brushes with some black tips that are thicker and not tapering, and I always feel a scratch from those. Are black hair tips in a silvertip brush always upside-down hairs, or could the finer ones just be black hairs but correctly oriented? After all, even human hairs can be mixed in colour.

Just messaged them. I really want the two-band version.

One thing about it, after seeing some of those gargantuan knots, is if you don't like the brush it apparently doubles as a good place to park the car.

Black Friday and the holidays are almost upon us. I have had my eyes on a plisson brush for several plus years, but the reviews and the floppy notoriety has stopped me thus far. To me, part of the collecting appeal is acquiring objects that are made in different parts of the world.

I think with the amount of thought I have given it, I should just pull the trigger. Favorite current brush in my collection is a simpson chubby silvertip, followed by M&F finest. Leaning towards the european white in size 12.

Please help me help myself from disappointment.

Do you need new brush? If not I have you reason to save yourself from thinning down wallet.

Rudy Vey

Rudy, I am curious about this. I have brushes with some black tips that are still very fine and tapered, and feel the same as the white tips. And I have other brushes with some black tips that are thicker and not tapering, and I always feel a scratch from those. Are black hair tips in a silvertip brush always upside-down hairs, or could the finer ones just be black hairs but correctly oriented? After all, even human hairs can be mixed in colour.
I see the same sometimes, but the majority of black hairs in brushes is upside down hair, the "tips" are thicker and often blunt.
My Varlet shows no thick ended black tips at all. There is maybe a hair or two which is darker towards the top, but is does not show the thick cut end, so tapered as you observed. The "band width" in badger hair is not defined, its a natural product, so some bands are narrower and some are wide. I believe that the higher cost in some brushes, like Varlet, Long or Mozingo has to do that they spend more time to pull these upside-downers out, while other makes think it is acceptable. I do see in these days more of them in knots, much more than say 12 or so years ago.

The way manufacturers/retailers have been going in the last few years its a total crap shoot if you will get the best deal on, before, or after Black Friday. But I say go for it if the deal feels right to you. Also, I find that if I am asking for someone to talk me out of it, I have already decided to get it and will eventually (usually sooner than later). You may not like it or it could be just the thing you were looking for.

Plissons are a hard thing to recommend. For what they cost new, it's not worth it. Especially now. I haven't heard anything of Plisson in years, and the last time I heard anything of recent brushes, they were not good reports, and they were reports from individuals that liked Plisson. You have to get the brush half off before I would say it is worth considering, and even then for the brushes you mentioned liking you have used, it's no where close. Now if you could get a vintage 80s model or around that, I would say yes. That was an exstounding brush, so much so it was perhaps a bit 'too' much for me. Too unnaturally soft. It reminded me mildly of gel tips before it became common.

The HMWs I have left I do enjoy, but it's been a few years since I've used one. More to fault I need a better way to select from my collection and I don't always see it. I enjoy them, but I didn't pay new prices either, and with the unknown quality as of right now I won't. I'll be interested to read Mr. Shavington's experience with his order. I got what I need to be happy, and Plisson has done nothing new that would make me want another brush. No new handle variations, handle materials, or hair types, but curious to see if the quality looks to be what it was. So in summice, save your money. Honestly. You can take the money and put it towards several other hair types and variations and get much more curiosity satisfied than going with Plisson.

Top Bottom