What's new

Convince me to not get a Plisson during Black Friday

Black Friday and the holidays are almost upon us. I have had my eyes on a plisson brush for several plus years, but the reviews and the floppy notoriety has stopped me thus far. To me, part of the collecting appeal is acquiring objects that are made in different parts of the world.

I think with the amount of thought I have given it, I should just pull the trigger. Favorite current brush in my collection is a simpson chubby silvertip, followed by M&F finest. Leaning towards the european white in size 12.

Please help me help myself from disappointment.

JUST+DO+IT.jpg

I know! I'm an enabler!

I was planning to buy an expensive razor on BF - one I have been interested in on and off for years, as I don't own anything from the "premium" artisan razor producers that have surfaced in the past few years. I got the idea a few weeks ago that I was going to pull the trigger this year, then over the weekend I thought, "Why?"

I opened the cupboard next to the sink where I keep my active rotation and there are 3 nice razors there covering different levels of aggression, all of which give me great shaves. In a draw in the bathroom there's nine more nice razors I can rotate through, then I have a tupperware box with a few more decent razors stored under the bed...not to mention the shavette collection.

Do I really need to spend $250 on another razor? Is it going to do anything magical that my other razors can't do? No.

Do you really need to spend however much ($150?) on another brush?

Similar to what Goblin says, take a look at what brushes you have. Likely there a couple or more that you really like but haven't use in awhile. If you buy yet another brush then those nice ones you've got will probably sit unused for even longer. So more is less: more stuff becomes less time and fewer shaves to enjoy nice brushes you already have.

I was planning to buy an expensive razor on BF - one I have been interested in on and off for years, as I don't own anything from the "premium" artisan razor producers that have surfaced in the past few years. I got the idea a few weeks ago that I was going to pull the trigger this year, then over the weekend I thought, "Why?"

I opened the cupboard next to the sink where I keep my active rotation and there are 3 nice razors there covering different levels of aggression, all of which give me great shaves. In a draw in the bathroom there's nine more nice razors I can rotate through, then I have a tupperware box with a few more decent razors stored under the bed...not to mention the shavette collection.

Do I really need to spend $250 on another razor? Is it going to do anything magical that my other razors can't do? No.

Do you really need to spend however much ($150?) on another brush?
The thing about having all the various hardware and software items is this...it makes for some really COOL pictures :), thus feeding the cycle for the next guy who says "I should really try that" :D

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Black Friday and the holidays are almost upon us. I have had my eyes on a plisson brush for several plus years, but the reviews and the floppy notoriety has stopped me thus far. To me, part of the collecting appeal is acquiring objects that are made in different parts of the world.

I think with the amount of thought I have given it, I should just pull the trigger. Favorite current brush in my collection is a simpson chubby silvertip, followed by M&F finest. Leaning towards the european white in size 12.

Please help me help myself from disappointment.

Don't do it. Your teeth will fall out and you'll go bald.

It's nice to have nice stuff, but it's not going to make your shave closer or smoother.

The Plisson lapis lazuli resin brush is size 12 and has the iconic ‘original’ handle shape and top grade High Mountain White hair. It’s really beautiful and is the one I would get if I didn’t already have it. This handle was made to commemorate Napoleon Bonaparte, who was one of Plisson’s early customers, and whose eagle emblem continues in the Plisson logo.

27951EC5-6F37-4E1F-8C16-7565ADA10166.jpeg

Plissons are my favourite brushes, and I’ve tried a hell of a lot. They aren’t floppy but they do have low backbone due to the very fine hair, high loft, and normal density. For me they are pure luxury - beautifully soft tips, effortless to splay, and they whip up a wonderful lather using the lightest touch. But if your preference is for thick, dense, high backbone two-band badgers then Plisson won’t be your thing at all. A Plisson is an old-school, luxurious, soft silvertip badger and you either dig that or you don’t - but if you do, there is nothing else like a Plisson and it becomes worth the high price. All of my Plissons are recent production and all have perfect hair with no semblance of scritch.

And me? Well, receiving the 30%-off promotion email was the opportunity I needed to finally buy the Plisson to end all Plissons. A size 20 blonde horn handle with HMW knot. I’ve always wanted to get one but the price is astronomical. 30% off is a huge saving so it’s on its way. It is going to be absolutely enormous - 28mm diameter with an extraordinary 68mm loft.

Sorry. I’m not sure how well I did in dissuading you. I got a bit carried away. 😉

The Plisson 1808 site has an Essential synthetic fibre brush available in "High Mountain White", which is affordable because of the fibre and less-expensive handle material used, yet might be considered overpriced compared to the competition. Their use of the HMW title is pure marketing -- but it looks like a Plisson nonetheless and I wouldn't mind having one. Their badgers have been unobtanium since I first started eyeing them 15 years ago, and their plexi handles, when available, have always been deliciously decadent.

Top Bottom