What's new

Concealed Carry Awkward Moments

My brother ocassionally drove a limo for his job at a smaller airport. His usual duties were fueling and parking airplanes, as well as cleaning and cleaning and cleaning.

He was cleaning the limo after bringing a group that was arriving/departing on a business jet and found a plastic revolver, chambered for .38 in the back seat unloaded. Glass filled plastic, looking like a regular revolver. It likely would have fired proper bullets as the barrel was unobstructed and it had a metal firing pin. Aparently the only metal on it was the pin, springs, and a few screws.

I do not know the rest of the story, but I did get to see the weapon before I presume it was destroyed. This company serviced police helicopters as well, so I am sure disposal was not an issue.

This was in the 90's and being a private facility there was no security checkpoint.

Phil

When I first came to CO back in the 90's I didn't know it was an open carry state. I was a bit shocked to see people just walking around with weapons on their hip. Perfectly legal so long as its not concealed. I think its only for handguns though as I have never seen anyone with a rifle. Shocked the hell out of my sister when she came to visit. The part that shocks me the most is you can still find plenty of people who carry openly even in the big cities like Denver.

proxy.php
I give up where are the magazines?

I noticed this was mentioned before and I imagine it has happened to everyone.
Some woman has to give you a hug and puts her hand right on your gun.
It's happened to me quite a few times over the years.
I carry OWB @4:00 o'clock. I'm 5'11 and 165lbs, always been thin.
This is California so usually no heavy clothing.
Nobody ever says anything, and I certainly don't.
If they know me, they might smile.
The others are most likely Leftists and they don't know it's a gun.
I wish they would keep their hands to themselves.

I had my boss with me one day and one of my best customers asked when we were going to the range. When we got to the car he asked about it and I said it’s pretty common down here. It’s our version of golf, he just laughed and said whatever works, just keep selling. The owners decided to sell and fortunately for me the new company had a policy. You could have a firearm in your car as long as you didn’t take it inside company property. I had management with me on numerous occasions from the new company and we talked about carrying, they never asked but I could tell they knew. Thank God for Oakies.

Up in Iraq, you had to show your weapon to enter the dining facilities, supposedly to ensure you were carrying it instead of leaving it in your workplace. I routinely carried mine on a belt holster which, when standing, fell beneath my uniform top. I had to get in the habit of lifting my top so that the guards could verify I was armed.
I had trouble several times being told I couldn’t enter. I never carried a weapon in a decade in the Army — 56a

Years ago while in a store there were a couple of boys goofing around chasing each other. Just as I was about to walk past the end of an aisle one of the kids bolted away from his friend towards the same end of the aisle I was nearing. He was looking back at his friend and we met at the intersection of the two aisles. He T-boned the 1911 I had on my hip with his head. It stopped him immediately and he said, "Owww," as he rubbed his forehead. Realizing his friend was gaining on him he said, "Sorry," shrieked, and quickly ran off before I could say a word. I guess that was awkward--for him.

I got cited for unauthorized concealed carry in a combat zone.

No lie.
Must have been a later war than mine. In the Nam I carried a Savage 12 gauge, Grease gun, the original M3, not the a1, a Remington 11 and a M2 carbine. Helped that I was a Marine 1st Lieutenant and served as a FO, so attached to a unit. There was a lot of WW2 and Korean War gear floating around. Almost forgot, issued a .45, ammo pouch was WW1 issue with two snaps. M16s we were issued were Army castoffs, and jammed constantly, why the carbine, which never jammed.

Nah, Kuwait. I was in civvies meeting an inbound field grade officer at the airport, in a government contracted rental car, parked in the parking lot when two Army MP's in civvies knocked on the window and asked for ID. When they asked if we had any weapons, I told them besides the two rifles in the vehicle they could plainly see, I had an M9 in an inside the waistband rig. They wrote me a ticket for having a concealed weapon without a permit from some command authority I'd never heard of. Thank goodness they didn't try to confiscate it, or I'd have gotten arrested for sure.

Since it was an official, genuine law-breaking incident, it got reported to my Marine Corps CG. I remember hearing the Colonel on the phone...."Yes, sir. My Master Sergeant got cited for being armed...Yes, sir, it's a helluva way to run a war..."
We really are thought of as Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children by the Army.

When I was in Israel in 1979, I was quite surprised when I saw people carrying guns everywhere I went.

These were not concealed weapons. They were wearing pistols in a holster, or rifles slung over their shoulders. Out in the open, for everyone to see.

Shopkeepers. Bus drivers. Restaurant waiters. Schoolteachers chaperoning children on a field trip. Everyone was packing heat.

I guess it was a culture-shock thing. I wasn't expecting this, but after a couple of days, it started to seem normal.
that's because pretty much everyone 18-80 is in the military or reserves. besides, if 25 miles away or much much less were a few hundred thousand people who would like nothing more than see you dead is one hell of a motivation to carry

Top Bottom