What's new

Common Mistakes to Avoid?

I've watched probably 6 or 7 videos on youtube of people shaving with a straight (including Joel's video) and the whole process looks absolutely effortless. However, this obviously can't be true since so many people new to the practice struggle with it.

Therefore, I'm curious about what are the tiny differences, or mistakes, that separate the newbies from the more experienced people that make the process look so easy.

Since I have not actually tried shaving with a straight yet (waiting on a razor), I have no idea what the differences could be. However, I'm asking in hopes of maybe avoiding some of the mistakes (one can hope, right :tongue_sm )

So, yea. Looking forward to the responses

thanks

hehe I've read through that a couple times :biggrin:

I've actually read through that entire intro to straight shaving several times. I've been nudging myself towards straight razor shaving for months, which means reading every thing I can find (especially on this forum)

hehe I've read through that a couple times :biggrin:

I've actually read through that entire intro to straight shaving several times. I've been nudging myself towards straight razor shaving for months, which means reading every thing I can find (especially on this forum)

It's a lot of fun - the learning curve is the only tricky part. :wink:

Honestly.... the actual shaving portion isn't all that tricky... it's the stropping and honing. :smile:

I've found it to be mostly easy and enjoyable....it's just the upper lip and chin (more than anything else) that gives me grief every now and again.

I've watched probably 6 or 7 videos on youtube of people shaving with a straight (including Joel's video) and the whole process looks absolutely effortless. However, this obviously can't be true since so many people new to the practice struggle with it.

Therefore, I'm curious about what are the tiny differences, or mistakes, that separate the newbies from the more experienced people that make the process look so easy.

Since I have not actually tried shaving with a straight yet (waiting on a razor), I have no idea what the differences could be. However, I'm asking in hopes of maybe avoiding some of the mistakes (one can hope, right :tongue_sm )

So, yea. Looking forward to the responses

thanks

I would say that by far the biggest mistake that a newbie can make is to try to learn to hone their first razor and shave with it at the same time. Learn to shave with a razor that you know has been honed to perfection by a very well respected honer, and you will increase your chances of success significantly. Then you can learn to touch up and hone your own razors later.

I would say that by far the biggest mistake that a newbie can make is to try to learn to hone their first razor and shave with it at the same time. Learn to shave with a razor that you know has been honed to perfection by a very well respected honer, and you will increase your chances of success significantly. Then you can learn to touch up and hone your own razors later.

+1

Give your muscles a chance to learn with a sharp blade. It makes all the difference in the world. Once the muscle memory has developed, it's not that difficult as long as you don't get complacent and it is extremely enjoyable.

I have been straight shaving for about 11 years. When I started I didn't know of this site. Since being here I have progressed through many levels, reading and experimenting. Being here and asking questions will probably be enough for you. Next to that would be to have a mentor.

My son a senior at ASU expressed an interest in straight shaving. I made a gift package for him of 2 razors, 1 shave ready, I honed myself. 1 dull for stropping practice, badger brush, Floris soap (thanks Jim), My old 3" 4K/8K stone I replaced with the DMT plates (thanks Joel), A barber hone, A Tony Miller Strop.

I went through all the basics and a few of the finer points on the subject that I have compiled through years of trial and error. All of this, and in my opinion, most important, realizing what a sharp razor feels like has made his introduction into straight shaving a little more enjoyable and painless.

I have been straight shaving for about 11 years. When I started I didn't know of this site. Since being here I have progressed through many levels, reading and experimenting. Being here and asking questions will probably be enough for you. Next to that would be to have a mentor.

My son a senior at ASU expressed an interest in straight shaving. I made a gift package for him of 2 razors, 1 shave ready, I honed myself. 1 dull for stropping practice, badger brush, Floris soap (thanks Jim), My old 3" 4K/8K stone I replaced with the DMT plates (thanks Joel), A barber hone, A Tony Miller Strop.

I went through all the basics and a few of the finer points on the subject that I have compiled through years of trial and error. All of this, and in my opinion, most important, realizing what a sharp razor feels like has made his introduction into straight shaving a little more enjoyable and painless.

Not to hijack the thread too much - but how do you like the DMT plates so far? I find they are much, much faster and easier to use than a norton. :smile:

I have the course and the 8000. Love them. The course has calmed down a bit. When I first got it you had to be real careful. The 8000 is still a fast hone but anything honed on it is FLAT. After I finish on the Chinese 1200 or th Thuingian, I can shave my fingerprints off when testing the edge if not careful.

Now to put the thread back where it was, I will echo what many have said, Joel has put a great deal of work in on his guides. They are excellent for all at any level of experience.

Thanks for the time Joel

For some reason we all have it in our head that straights are dangerous when your shaving with them. They are actually pretty dangerous when your not shaving with them, almost moreso than when you are. Watch out for fingers, wrists, arms, ears, other people, or anytime your in the presense of a straight blade and NOT focused on what your doing.

Generally, shaving is the safest thing you can do with a straight.

Ever notice how many people get killed cleaning a gun? Same issue I think.

However, reading and learning from Joel's guide will markedly accelarate your progress.
Speaking as someone taking up straight shaving (again) after a 35 year + hiatus... Joel's guides, pictures, and video on shaving have given me many tips to make the process much smoother.
+1
Even with much knife experience, honing a razor with a light enough touch can be maddening at times... :eek:
Watch out for fingers, wrists, arms, ears, other people, or anytime your in the presense of a straight blade and NOT focused on what your doing.

Generally, shaving is the safest thing you can do with a straight.

Ever notice how many people get killed cleaning a gun? Same issue I think.
+1 again
So far I have cut myself once (not counting teeny lil "weepers"). Wasn't shaving with it. Was polishing one of my new-to-me/used razors with Dura-Glit while watching TV. Lesson learned...again...

Yeah practice is the thing but my biggest problem is that I will be enjoying myself too much, especially with a new razor, and stop paying attention. This is when I do things like wack myself in the ear with the razor or apply too much pressure and cut myself.

1. Do Practice a lot
2. Don't shave in your birthday suit.

3. Do keep track of the edge even when the blade is not on your face
4. Don't try to catch a falling st8 especially if you do not believe in rule no. 2

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Being nervous means a jittery hand which means trouble. Once you believe that you can do at least one stroke on your cheek without cutting yourself, you've passed the mental turning point and things should be smooth sailing from there.

Top Bottom