What's new

Colonial Razor's General vs Razorock Hawk

The Hawk I use with the pro and it gives me a fantastic shave. I consider it a mild razor in need of beefing up with the pro.
The General I cannot say anything about as it's still in the mail, but once it arrives, I'll use it again with the pro.
The pro-guard I use with the RX as it's an aggressive razor. I tried it in the El-Jefe as well but somehow I had alignment problems so next time I'll use the kai mild.

I have been using my new polished Hawk since Friday with a Feather Pro Guard blade - I have been getting smooth irritation-free shaves. My new General just arrived in the mail today - I loaded it with a Feather Super Pro (based on the reviews I have read, the General works well with a very sharp blade). I am going to try it out in the AM with a day and a half's growth on my chin. Looking forward to waking up tomorrow!

I had my first shave with the Hawk yesterday and I was surprised by how mild it is. I used it with the Freather Pro and I got a super excellent shave.
I would be surprised if The Gpeneral is even milder than the Hawk but I'll discover it soon, it will arrive today or tomorrow.

Quoting fellas above so they post their ultimate conclusion once they've put their gear through it's paces.

To anyone with the both the Hawk and General, which does a better job of getting the stubble directly under the nose during a WTG pass? I can never cut them all down during the WTG pass using the Hawk, have to come in at some bizarre angels and really contort the face.

After using the Hawk for a while now, I have to say it's comfort level is a mirror image of the blade. I'm on my 20th or so shave of Kai mild and have dulled it out quite a bit so it rarely bites. But it's sharp enough when moved swiftly to give an acceptable BBS. Wonder if the General is the same or if the curved head has more of an affect.

The bottom bar is not straight. Kinda hard to explain without pictures but it basically looks like there is a large dent in the bottom guard.
I also noticed that even with the blade on the post the blade isnt totally even. You get what you pay for I guess.

I have 3 Hawks (1 in each finish) and I don't see what you're talking about. Actually I'm quite impressed with the quality, given the price point.

Pictures?

--Bob

Defective razors can sometimes slip through the net (Friday afternoon jobs) I have no complaint with my two Hawks.

I have both a silver General and a polished chrome Hawk. I have been using a Pro Guard in the Hawk and a Super Pro in the General. With those blades,in terms of smoothness and the ability to give a bbs shave in two passes is about equal. I like the light weight of both shavers and the deep knurling the Hawk. The General does not have knurling but the matte finish allows for a good grip. I have been more or less alternating between the two since I received them about 10 days ago, and I can say that I enjoy using both and that the Hawk is an especially good buy, given the quality, shave and the price.

I have the Hawk, General, and El Jefe. I like Feather ProGuard and Kai Milds in the Hawk with the Kai being cheaper. I tried Kai Milds in the General, and found it to be too mild. I really love Feather Professionals (unguarded) in the General. I also have an Ikon El Jefe Blem which I find to be the most aggressive, of the three razors, even when the baseplate is adjusted. I will only use Feather ProGuards in that razor. In sum, I have three razors with three different preferred blades in each.

I used the general for the first time yesterday on a pro with 10 shaves on it and it was tugging, so to make sure it was the razor and not the blade I switched the blade to a known smooth SE (Rocnel SE 50) razor and it was tugging more with the Rocnel. I put back the same blade in the General and finished the shave with no incident. A BBS in 2 passes and corrections. I didn't want to use a new blade as I wanted to see how the General behaves with a bland one. Impressed is the word. I would put it on a little more aggressive scale than the Hawk which I also love to bits. The El-Jefe I cannot use it with the pro as it's too aggressive (YMMV) also on the RX. Among my SE's my rating in order of preference would be as follows.

1) RX for a 4 day stubble or more. (It's a straight on a handle. I don't get as a good a shave in the shop as with the RX)
2) Rocnel SE 50. Smooth and efficient but too heavy for my taste. (can't wait for the lighter SE 50 with the magnets to come out). Alsoa favourite.
3) General, Hawk (not in any particular order other than I prefer a rounded head).
4) El-Jefe good, efficient if loaded on the mildest setting, but will bite if one is not careful.

Last edited:
I'm loving the Hawk with the lighter handle and a Feather Pro Guard. I also am enjoying the General but with a heavier steel handle and a Kai Mild.

I have heard that if you put an aluminum head on a handle of any other material other than aluminum it can cause problems. The aluminum can get sort of corrosive. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm concerned about putting a stainless steel handle on my General razor.

I have heard that if you put an aluminum head on a handle of any other material other than aluminum it can cause problems. The aluminum can get sort of corrosive. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm concerned about putting a stainless steel handle on my General razor.
Ikon have been supplying aluminium heads on stainless steel for several years with no problems. $Ikon 2.jpg

Ikon have been supplying aluminium heads on stainless steel for several years with no problems.

+1

I have four aluminum iKon heads and all are paired with stainless handles. I mated my Hawk with a stainless handle, too. Since that time, I haven't grown hair on my palms, nor have I seen any aluminum oxide or iron oxide.

+1

I have four aluminum iKon heads and all are paired with stainless handles. I mated my Hawk with a stainless handle, too. Since that time, I haven't grown hair on my palms, nor have I seen any aluminum oxide or iron oxide.

Good to hear this. I guess I don't have to worry about mine.

It looks like the safety bar is cut uneven. Is that your problem?

And it seems that would result in uneven blade exposure. If so, did you consider contacting the vendor and requesting an exchange? Seems that its not a cosmetic but a functional issue that should be replaced under warranty.

And it seems that would result in uneven blade exposure. If so, did you consider contacting the vendor and requesting an exchange? Seems that its not a cosmetic but a functional issue that should be replaced under warranty.

I did not contact the vendor as of yet. I will do that right now. :)

So who here is anxious about the C360 Machined Brass General that will be released this month? I just missed out on the last release of black and silver, but when I heard about the brass I got really excited... Word on the street is there will also be a Stainless version coming soon also!! Can't wait...

Colonial has some of the General's available in the black finish right now. They say they will be stocked daily on the site.

Thought I would weigh in here too.

Today was my first shave with the General aluminum head and the ATT Colossal handle - using a Feather pro with 1 shave on it from yesterday. And let me just say, what a great shave. BBS in 2 passes plus a bit of touch up on my neck.

I also have the ATT SE1 & SE2, and after 8 shaves I could not get a very good shave. I figured it would just take time. But with my ATT R1 plate, I can get BBS in 2 passes and a bit of touch up, almost every time.

So today, doing this well with my 1st time using the General head, tells me it isn't just a technique issue.

The General just slides across my face in comparison to the SE1. It was so comfortable and so easy. Not very aggressive but very comfortable and the shave is still fine after 11 hours.

I also have a BlackHawk and haven't tried it yet but am going to soon and will post.

I also have a General that I put an ATT Kronos handle on it. I like the way it feels in my hand with the light head and heavy handle. It has become my favorite razor but I do find the ATT and the General to be very similar in performance.
RazoRock_5.JPG

Top Bottom