What's new

SE Curious — Razorock Hawk good first choice?

I bought a V3 standard over a year ago, closely followed by a Vector. Once I began using the Vector, I sold the Hawk without really giving it a fair shot.

Having a tiny bit of seller's remorse, I traded for another V3 recently to try it again and found it much less efficient than my Vector...and sold it again.

The Vector is still an autopilot shave for me (head shaves) and I get BBS results. A close (very close) runner-up is my Ti Shield Predator, which is a fantastic shaver and quite a bargain for a machined titanium razor with a stand, though it is a GEM format razor - not AC. Shield also offers an AC razor similar to the Vector, but I've not used one.

I have owned and shaved with the Hawk V2, Hawk V3 (standard and OC plate), SS Vector SB. I currently own the Atelier DURDAN La Faulx (AC) and Vestige ++ (GEM), and much of the vintage Schick razor variants. I am also on the lookout for a clean cased Gen 2 vintage GEM MMOC.

I have held on to the Hawk V2 for sentimental reasons (I don't shave with it) but sold off the Hawk V3 after acquiring the Vector (although I eventually sold the Vector as well). I would recommend the Vector SB if given a choice but the Hawk A plate (based off of other shaver feedback and my own experience with the standard and OC plate) might be an alternative. Having said all of that, I would not dismiss modern and vintage Schick and GEM formats. I favor Schick razors that are compatible with the Twin II injector blades (in order of preference): Type O (hard to find), Type N, and Type M adjustable. Type E Canadian is also a nice alternative with a conventional injector blade.

I realize the following are at the premium end and not necessarily where a person would test the waters, but the Atelier DURDAN La Faulx (Classic plate with Feather Pro Super blade) and Vestige ++ (GEM) are my top two SE razors. The La Faulx displaced the Vector for me, but I still recommend the Vector as a great razor when considering options.

I'm looking at the Hawk V3 standard, though the Claymore Evolution interests me more. Again, it comes down to cost factor: Razorock prices vs. the more expensive choice (2x the price for the matte stainless CE, 3x for the polished).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm looking at the Hawk V3 standard, though the Claymore Evolution interests me more. Again, it comes down to cost factor: Razorock prices vs. the more expensive choice (2x the price for the matte stainless CE, 3x for the polished).
I just noticed, you can get just the Claymore Evolution razor head in the matte finish:

And their 20% off Boxer Day sale is still on... That should cover the shipping costs. For me, the Claymore Evo handle was a bit too heavy anyway. I use the Timeless Ti Crown handle on mine... but RR has fairly inexpensive titanium handles... or you can pick one up from Yaqi or DScosmetic @ Ali Express for decent prices.

Edit: Shoot... I thought I had an OEM handle and stand around, but I know I bought just a head once... I had several of them and either passed the extras on or sold them. I looked where I store all my shaving gear but the handle and stand were nowhere to be found.

Last edited:
I just noticed, you can get just the Claymore Evolution razor head in the matte finish:

And their 20% off Boxer Day sale is still on... That should cover the shipping costs. For me, the Claymore Evo handle was a bit too heavy anyway. I use the Timeless Ti Crown handle on mine... but RR has fairly inexpensive titanium handles... or you can pick one up from Yaqi or DScosmetics @ Ali Express for decent prices.
Thanks. The usual end of month bad timing for me, otherwise I would jump on it. I don't care for the standard handle either, so I have a RR Ti incoming, and it would also be a good excuse to finally get the Crown.

Thanks. The usual end of month bad timing for me, otherwise I would jump on it. I don't care for the standard handle either, so I have a RR Ti incoming, and it would also be a good excuse to finally get the Crown.

Just adding my thoughts on the Claymore Evolution handle.

From the pictures I didn't think I would like the handle. I do have a Timeless Crown and other titanium handles so I went ahead and ordered the Claymore. To my surprise, I really like the Claymore handle. As the saying goes; you don't know until you try it.

“To each his own” of course, but my Claymore original handle works like a charm..
IMG_0621.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I like the OEM Claymore Evo handle as well... the design was easy to use. I didn't know I'd like the lighter weight in a handle until I followed David's ( @never-stop-learning ) example and bought my first Timeless Ti Crown. I bought it just for the looks, truth be told. I ended up liking how the balance of my razors tilts toward the head instead of the handle. I have ummmmm 7 of them now... Ouch.

Stainless feels like dead weight to me and not particularly helpful. My old preference for lightweight injectors has carried over. For current DEs and ACs, titanium might be preferable, at least when circumstances allow. This mostly applies to handles; no problems have cropped up with stainless heads or imbalances that come from mixing metals.

RR is an excellent entry-level AC model. As others have suggested, I would go with the A plate to start. Picking up the OC, if you want more tooth, or stepping back to the Standard plate, won't break the bank. If you decide you REALLY like the AC, you'll have an excellent starting reference.

If you like aggressive, the Asylum RX V1 is the top of the pack that I have personally tried.
Asylum V2 and the Asylum Injector are (IMO) the same in performance, just a smaller blade with the Injector.

RazoRock Hawk middle of the road with options.

Everyone else with minor variations that boil down to personal preference.

The classic Injectors never get much time from me, as they are highly efficient (which I do like) but utterly, mindlessly, forgiving (I don't care for unless I'm in a real hurry). Occam's Oren is an AC driver that is in the same category. I keep it because it is so darn efficient and the most tolerant/forgiving of the ACs I've used.

“To each his own” of course, but my Claymore original handle works like a charm..
View attachment 1770975
I didn't even want to take gamble on that handle, so I ordered my Claymore Evolution Polished SE razor with their Viper 95 handle. I love the knurling on the Viper 95 handle and the length is just perfect. I am not disputing that the original handle works like a charm, but I never tried it. The smooth and slippery section is where I normally hold the razor, so I didn't even try it.

Shaved with it this morning- super smooth. And I’ll get 10 shaves minimum on this AC blade
Couldn't agree more. Razorock Hawk V3 (either standard or A base plate) is second only to my La Faulx (by Atelier Durdan) and ahead of Blackland Vector Ti and Claymore Evolution SE Polished in terms of comfort and ease of use. Perfect shaves with no nicks or cuts. Hawk v3 has very tight tolerances and no blade wiggle unlike the Claymore Evolution SE Polished. It's absolutely fantastic irrespective of the price.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Couldn't agree more. Razorock Hawk V3 (either standard or A base plate) is second only to my La Faulx (by Atelier Durdan) and ahead of Blackland Vector Ti and Claymore Evolution SE Polished in terms of comfort and ease of use. Perfect shaves with no nicks or cuts. Hawk v3 has very tight tolerances and no blade wiggle unlike the Claymore Evolution SE Polished. It's absolutely fantastic irrespective of the price.
Interesting. I only have the matte finish Claymore Evolution but the blades fit perfectly. I wonder if the polishing reduces the little nubs that hold the blades.

I couldn’t agree more about the La Faulx. It might just be the best razor I’ve ever used.

Interesting. I only have the matte finish Claymore Evolution but the blades fit perfectly. I wonder if the polishing reduces the little nubs that hold the blades.

I couldn’t agree more about the La Faulx. It might just be the best razor I’ve ever used.

My Cyaymore is polished and that tiny bit of blade and top cap wiggle is the only negative thing about the razor. It only takes 2 seconds to check/adjust the blade exposure to be sure it's even, and because of the excellent shave results, I don't let it bother me.

The RR Hawk or the Yaqi Raster are really the only two products that don't have huge outlay to get them or potential supply waitlists etc. Its about as good a place as any to start, honestly theres no best or ideal AC razor. It all comes down to personal preference.

Top Bottom