What's new

College-age scents

Could any one recommend me a good cologne for a young man and women (one of each) that is fresh, citrusy, floral and for young, sober people.

Personally, I like
Unforgivable.
Polo blue
Crave by cK
Givenchy blue
Nautica (at the beginning. After a while it ends up with a minty smell)

For women I like Gucci (It comes in a silver bottle) and J’adore.
This will be the first scent I buy online and I have a limited budget so please keep that in mind.

Well, other are better at this stuff than I. So I'll stick to a quick general observation and question. First, the question. Is there any reason why there have to be bought over the internet? And the observation. If it is in any way remotely possible, you need to do this in person.

Look, it's like this. You can get a number of great suggestions here. It really helps that you have listed fragrances you like, and characteristics you are looking for, not just that you want generally a youthful fragrance. That will help the more knowledgeable folks target the suggestions a bit. Hopefully some folks can suggest great fragrances that are similar in nature to the ones you name, but a bit more sophisticated in nature. But, there is nothing anyone can tell you that will really help you decide which of a dozen great suggestions to get.

Probably, blind buying the one that appeals to you most from the descriptions will get you something you like. But probably not the one you would like the most. And there is a definite risk of minor disaster. Because first, everyone's perceptions and preferences are different, so there is no way you can tell from descriptions by other people what will appeal most to you. And, second, what something smells like when actually worn is very dependent on the skin chemistry of the wearer. It will not smell the same on any two people. And sometimes an excellent scent will just not go on some people. Example I always use. Chanel #5 is one of the all time classic women's scents. But, neither my girlfriend nor any woman in her immediate family can wear it. Smells lousy on them. There is just something in their skin chemistry that does not work with Chanel, or at least #5.

For those reasons, you really need to smell the scents before you buy them, and preferably actually smell them on yourself and the young lady in question. (Assuming the male one is for you). This does get a little harder depending on where you are located. If you are someone with a retail store that has many of the fragrances suggested, that is ideal. (Although you might be like me, and have to overcome a strong visceral reaction to walking up the the counter and asking to sample colognes). Otherwise, the only really good way to do it is go through the process of requesting samples be sent to you through the mail. Pain, and time consuming, but assures better results. (Is there a time limit on this purchase, btw?).

Eu de Hermes is my humble suggestion for the Male scent. But there are probably better ones for you.

Oh, and whatever is suggested, go to www.basenotes.com, and look it up in their database for more reviews and information.

I don't normally suggest this, but this might be a good one to double post over at ShaveMyFace.com. There are a couple of real scent experts there - if nothing else you will get some... interesting... suggestions.

All in all, good luck.

-Mo

As Moses already stated it is important to pick a proper cologne. Which works for one person could end up scaring even skunks on another. For males I like the scents from Fragonard. It is the oldest perfume factory in the world. Their main selling shop is located in Grasse France and they also have a shop in Paris. In any other country these products are very hard to come by. Concerto and Beau Gosse are nice light floral scents. I also like Taylors Eton College line.
For women Belle de Nuit and Juste une baiser are nice scents. They also have a webshop at their site: http://www.fragonard.fr I basically like these scents a lot because they are all made from natural ingredients and not chemically cooked up in a laboratory.

Personally, unless I know exactly what I'm buying when it comes to colognes, I'll buy it in a store.

It was funny, Saturday I was in a store with the wife waiting for her to go through the check-out, which was close to the men's fragrances. By the time she was done, I had sprayed just about every "Tester" they had onto those little cards and she told me I smelled like a hooker!!

Definitely test on yourself before buying. I've done bought blind before and results have varied (to put it mildly). If you haven't already, you might test Chanel Platinum Egoiste - it's widely available and was my signature scent for a few years. Give it 20-30 minutes to settle before plunking down the $$$. Allure (there's a version for either gender) was also very nice, but I've got more than I can handle at the moment. You might also check Herrera for Men, or 212, also widely available.

Mrs. T likes D&G Light Blue, DKNY Be Delicious, Chanel Chance. The first two are widely available and easily sampled. The Chanel might be harder to find.

Yes, I completely understand your concerns when it comes to personally testing the fragrances in my own skin. I know that the natural body oil makes it smell differently, that the smell changes over time and all that stuff. The problem is that I actually have limited access to quality products where I live. Besides, whenever I go to the mall I really do not know where to start testing, and as newfie point it out, I end up smelling “like a hooker”. On the other hand, I have seen that the members of B&B have a good taste and it is worth to take the risk and try the most recommended fragrances. If I have the opportunity to test them before buying them, great; if not, I can sell it or give it as gift to someone that really likes it. I already accepted the fact that I will be the guy that gives razor and brush sets as well as shaving creams and colognes. You know, starting a process of Globalishavetion

Moses thanks for your recommendation, in fact I did double post on basenotes and here, but somehow I trust more the members over here. The funny thing is that it appears that I am having similar recommendations

Smooth Sensei, I already ordered a small sample of the Fragonard collection so thanks for that!

Any other contributions are more than welcome
:em2300:

Oh, here's another male one you might not thing of, but I think might surprise you. Harris Arlington. Very fresh and citrus, with a bet of green. I actually thing it is pretty youthful. Also, try Trumper GFT. Similar to Arlington, in some ways, but less so green, and instead balancing the citrus with a little dry spiciness.

-Mo

For him: Trumper Skye meets all the criteria. For her: perhaps Eau du Sud or Folavril, both by Annick Goutal. For both: Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien. But the advice to try before you buy is the best.

Or Blue Stratos for a guy. A true classic. http://www.parfumsbleu.com

Michael,
Howdy. I see you have been drawn to dispense good advice over here too. Do you enjoy being in M3 remission?
-Mo

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Moses gave some good advice about buying in person ... but I'll chime in with a suggestion anyhow. Give a sniff to Ferrari Yellow (for him).

And it's not really a cutrus-floral thing at all, but Burberry Brit is nice; one for each sex. The next time you get a chance, sniff it to see if you like it.

Michael,
Howdy. I see you have been drawn to dispense good advice over here too. Do you enjoy being in M3 remission?
-Mo

Tinketty-tonk, Mo. M3 remission indeed... mebbe I'll try me one of them double-edge thingamabobs one day...

Isaias: I've been thinking about your quest overnight and slightly changed my opinion. For her, I'd still go with an Annick Goutal, but I think Ce Soir ou Jamais would be a better bet; for you, the freshness and "marine" notes you like will be preserved, though in a much more sophisticated way & without the synthetic howl of Calone, in Creed's Erolfa.

Isaias,
Incidentally, you want to listen to Mr. Bargepole, aka Michael. He has probably forgotten more about fragrances than 99 percent of us chaps here will ever learn. Don't be fooled by the low post count.

On the other hand, listening to him is likely to lead you on crazy searches for strange boutique scents made by French werewolves only on the 13th full moon of every 43rd year. :wink:
-Mo

I agree with trying out a scent in person before you purchase. That said, if there is a Nieman Marcus anywhere near you, try out Silver Mountain Water from Creed. I've received more compliments wearing this fragrance than any other. Good Luck

:em2300: I made a great discovery, at least for me.
If you visit this page you will find the instructions to get samples of EDT and EDPs. Of course, it is much cheaper going to the mall and actually test all the fragrances by yourself, but there are some that are always hard to get.

:em2300: I made a great discovery, at least for me.
If you visit this page you will find the instructions to get samples of EDT and EDPs. Of course, it is much cheaper going to the mall and actually test all the fragrances by yourself, but there are some that are always hard to get.

That, is darn tootin. I feel another layout of money coming....

-Mo

I can't say enough about Paco Rabanne XS. It's a blatant copy of Creed's Green Irish tweed, however PR's is only 30 or 40 bucks for a 3.4 oz bottle (and smells just as wonderful). Something a little sweeter smelling that I use is Rochas Man, which girls our age absolutely love (though it's more of a winter scent, as most sweets are). I recommend reading up on them at basenotes, and subsequently ordering a sample or going to a department store to test them. I would however never buy a scent in a DS or mall simply because of the price. There are plenty of great scent merchants on the web.

Does Eau De Bongwater count as a college-age scent? My cousin seems to have that cologne on whenever he comes over to visit.

Top Bottom