What's new

cold shave during the summer

I am in SW Louisiana and we are in the same boat. The last 10 days are as hot as I have experienced in my 50 years. Its so hot we have no humidity, and that's rare. Pool water feels like warm ****.
I am not that far from you @Eshebert and I agree with your assessment. The heat has baked out any moisture in the air.
3AFE5C2A-B629-4FA2-B317-E235046A9D71.png

I’m not a fan of cold. I’ll do cool in the summer. Time now, it’s 105F out there with humidity down to only about 44%.

When I experimented with it, I found that cool/cold water soaks with boar brushes made them stiffer (more backbone) than hot tap water.

No. Thank you very much!
Splashing very cold water after the shave is over is another thing. I do it always, no matter the season.

I am not that far from you @Eshebert and I agree with your assessment. The heat has baked out any moisture in the air.
View attachment 1697508
Howdy from the west side of the Metromess.

As is the case for the Louisiana lads, the Panther City tap water is pretty tepid about now; I have my tankless water heater just about off. A cold shave would require refrigeration.

Pluses include clothes on the line sure dry quickly . . . as does wood. Cooked this morning over pecan that was green just a few weeks ago when I axed it into grill-size pieces.

1691771019848.png

If by "cold" you mean water slightly above room temperature, sure, in summertime.
I’m not a fan of cold. I’ll do cool in the summer. Time now, it’s 105F out there with humidity down to only about 44%.

When I experimented with it, I found that cool/cold water soaks with boar brushes made them stiffer (more backbone) than hot tap water.
Keep a scuttle in the refrigerator for a truly refreshing shave. Anything else just seems boring to me now.

That’s the thing, the cold water shaving range seems to stretch from water from the fridge (ice cubes anyone?
:sneaky2:
) to tepid, or maybe a bit higher.

In other words, it is not well defined temperature band, even though some members referred to cold water from the tap here. When I was based in the desert “cold” water (tank on the roof) from the tap in summer was considerably warmer than 38ºC (100ºF for Americans), so we switched the water heaters (above the ceiling inside the house) off during the hot months and used the “hot” faucet for cool water. (I kid you not.
:001_smile
)

I fill my sink for the shave and today I was a bit generous with the cold water that I add after soaking the shaving towel in hot water. The temperature was tepid at best and the shave felt nice.

”Felt nice” means that I doubt that it will become part of my routine, but maybe here or there in summer when I shave late in the morning.

B.

I remember putting cold water from a canteen into a helmet and shaving using a small bar of soap that I carried in my mess tins. It was actually quite refreshing, except in cold weather.

I tried a cold shave a couple of times and didn't care for it. For me it's warm lather in the summer, and warmer lather in the winter. 🤗

Top Bottom