What's new

Cleaning knurling on handle

Does anyone know how to clean the knurling on this handle? I’m assuming the black stuff is deeply engrained dirt.

I’ve tried hot soapy water and a stiff nylon brush.

Attachments

• BE1D669F-6B30-40D7-A179-EB4C09A56E11.jpeg
    BE1D669F-6B30-40D7-A179-EB4C09A56E11.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 151
I had a Vintage Hoffritz and the only thing that kept it from being called mint was the handle which was kind of dark compared to the rest of the razor. I sent it along with some other razors to Cap that we’re going to get replated as I wanted just the knurling replated. He messaged me after he got saying are you sure you want to have the handle replated. He also said if you don’t mind me having a go at just cleaning it up and I’ll send you a photo and you can decide if you still want it replated. Well when I got the photo below it was obvious that he did something more than what I tried which was using a toothbrush and dish soap, toothpaste and scrubbing bubbles. I asked him what the heck he did and he told me he uses Bar Keepers Frand and a very small wire brush. He did say you have to be careful not to touch the polished part of the handle. He said he cleans all the knurled handles on a razor using this simple method. Hope that helps.

610A2741-4A48-46C0-ADCB-F8D4D94C500C.jpeg

I'm far from an expert on razor cleaning but I have used baking soda mixed into a paste with a nylon toothbrush. A little more effective would be Flitz or Simichrome and a toothbrush which are generally used for metal polishing needs. They should be no harm to a sound nickel or chrome plate but if you were dealing with thin gold wash might be too much. Good luck.

I have had some success with Flitz or Maas on an inside out sport sock...the sock threads work better than a smooth cloth.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Was going to say, toothbrush or nylon AR-15 brush. NOT brass or stainless brush.

Black can be mold; antibacterial cleaner, maybe.

AA

Do not use Flitz or Blue-Magic on any vintage Gillette which has been 'Gold-Washed' or has a potentially compromised lacquer coating over the Gold! - I speak from experience, it will strip the Gold right off.

A light paste of baking soda and some vinegar is about as harsh as you want to use. Or better yet, use an ultrasonic cleaner with jewelry cleaning solution which is gold plating safe. (You can buy a cleaner for under $30, and solution is another $10).

Rinse in distilled water afterwards to avoid spotting, and if you make your own past or solution, again use distilled water. (The minerals in tap water can leave spotting on the razor finish).

For handles with deep knurling, I use a fine bristled brass brush and soap or sometimes Flitz. I use it on nickel and silver plated razors, it works good for me. If you try it, use caution and common sense.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I’ve tried hot soapy water and a stiff nylon brush.

Replace the hot soapy water with a polishing compound.

I use AutoSol. A single drop the size of a pencil eraser is plenty. Give it a good scrub with a dry toothbrush, then a good rub with a soft cloth.

81RU6PXEl+L._SL1500_.jpg

A Ball End handle below.

Before.
IMG_2637.JPG

After a scrub and polish of less than 5 minutes total.

IMG_2648.jpg

If you want it cleaner, it just takes more time and a stiffer brush.

Bar Keepers Friend will also clean it, perfectly and virtually instantly. See my Tech below before and after a quick 5 second rub with a wet thumb and BKF.

IMG_1359.jpg IMG_1607.JPG

Polishing compound would have destroyed the frosted finish. BKF cleaned it.

BKF creates Oxalic Acid when mixed with water. It doesnt touch nickel, or I believe chrome but it will dissolve gold plating on contact.

I ran out and need to get more or I would have used it on that Ball End handle, and will, when I get more.

I used Bar Keeper's Friend and a brass brush on the knurled handle of a '47 Tech that I recently acquired and it worked well. Just to re-iterate what was said earlier, do NOT do this with a gold-tone razor!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just to re-iterate what was said earlier, do NOT do this with a gold-tone razor!

Its sounds like we both may have learned from experience.

This is my Gillette Regent Tech as it arrived to me.

IMG_1803.jpg

This is the same razor after a 10 second scrub with BKF and a toothbrush.

IMG_1807.jpg

A fairly quick polishing job turned it to this and restored the shine to the bare brass.

IMG_1828.jpg

It removed the gold plate so quickly it was gone before I could get it under the tap, and I was standing at a sink.

BKF is a powerful 'cleaner'.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I picked up some BKF while I was out today and heres the handle before, then after a good scrub with BKF and a light polish with AutoSol.

before.JPG after.JPG

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I went out today and bought some BKF just to get rid of a tea stain on my 6S. Worked like a charm!! It even removed what looked like ink on the cap that came with the razor. Thanks for the heads up!!!

I dont think theres anything that cleans stainless better than BKF.

Top Bottom