What's new

Cleaning a brand new brush?

So i’ve done a little searching and haven’t found a thread that addressed this specifically. I just ordered a new yaqi synthetic brush that’ll be here in a day or two, and was wondering whether i should clean it somehow prior to its first use? My original brush (a cheap Fento badger) went straight from unboxing to face. A pif’d omega boar i did soak in barbacide for the required time just because i was unsure if it’d been previously used. So my question is whether the good folks here at b&b recommmend cleaning a new brush or just going right to the puck with it? Thanks!

Last edited:
Some here have elaborate routines for shampooing and cleaning new brushes (especially those with natural hair.)

My approach is to simply use the brush! You might do a test lather or two first.

Some here have elaborate routines for shampooing and cleaning new brushes (especially those with natural hair.)

My approach is to simply use the brush! You might do a test lather or two first.
BigJ
What are your views on horse hair shaving brushes? Curacao11

I’m inclined to agree BigJ. I did exactly that with my first brush but started thinking about whether other people just unbox the thing and lather up too. Also i was curious if people had reasons or benefits to washing a brush first.

I am one of those with an elaborate cleaning process. I do the same thing with new and used brushes. For new natural hair brushes I place the brush under running warm water. When thoroughly wet I take a few drops of a mild dishwashing liquid soap and gently rub it into the brush. I then rinse the brush under running water and then soak the brush for a minute in a container filled with clear water. I apply a little bit of hair conditioner to soften the bristles of a new brush. I then rinse again under warm running water. I shake the brush to get rid of excess water. I then take a cup or container and fill it with one ounce of white vinegar, a few drops of liquid glycerin, and warm water. I stir the mixture and put the brush in the liquid using a pumping motion. I soak the brush for about two or three minutes. I take the brush out of the mixture, rinse again under running water, shake out the water, and twirl it around a towel to dry. For synthetics, I just wash and rinse.

I rinse out a synthetic brush before use, but natural hair brushes I clean. Badger brushes can have some particularly nasty dirt locked inside the knot, and badger, boar and horse can all have some pretty funky smells going on that washing will help tone down. My worst was the horse hair which smelled of the region from whence it came. Several washings and drying processes will get out the dirt and smell sufficiently for the shave soap to start deodorizing the brush.

Interesting! My badger never smelled and the boar pif’d to me by trent in WA didn’t either. Guess i got lucky. Since i have a synthetic coming in i guess i’ll just keep using the open and use method!

Early on I cleaned or soaked, whatever was recommended here at that time. Now I just lather them up, rinse them out, then re-lather and use.

Is the reason for sanitizing, conditioning or just because?

For natural hair brushes that are new I do it for conditioning. I find that it removes any loose hairs and seems to season the brush. By doing this, my brushes are broken in with the first shave.

For synthetics, i just do a bowl lather with dishwashing detergent and rinse and for natural hair, i do a soak with shampoo and hair conditioner for some hours.

Muhle's leaflet on my new pure badger brush, says:
- Thorougly wash the brush with warm soap water before (first) use.
- Rinse for 10 seconds after every shave as soap residues damage the fine badger hair.
- Never use chemical agents, vinegar, Dettol, borax or similar substances.
- Water temperature should not exceed 45C.
- Shake out the remaining water for drying.
- Hang the brush to dry.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Whatever works for you. A new brush I never do anything with but use it. A second hand brush will get a spa treatment until I am satisfied that it is sanitized.

Thanks for the replies guys! I think based on the responses i may do a wash if i ever get a new badger. But that’s probably pretty far down the road. I now have 1 badger, 1 boar, 1 synthetic and 1 travel so i’m pretty much set. The badger is the only one i’d ever consider upgrading.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
For a new brush I have a standard procedure that is very simple.
I lather up in my palm a few times with a cream, wash and rinse out after each hand lather.
Normally, I do this two times and the brush is ready to be used. I think everything else is overkill, and I do not see the need to use vinegar or borax at all. One of the main things to do to keep a brush alive for a long time is a very thorough rinse after each use and making sure NO soap or cream residue stays inside the knot. This will overtime break down the hair and the brush starts shedding - this may occur as soon as after 3-4 months of use. Many brushes I have fixed that had this shedding issue were full of soap/cream residue.

Top Bottom