What's new

Cigar Newbie Question

I am getting into smoking cigars and have a small plastic pocket sized humidor with a small sponge and three mild cigars. I am wondering if I do not smoke a cigar totally can I save it?

You can save it but not for long (hours). I would not put it back in your portable humidor.
The best thing to do is to cut it before saving.
Check out this thread on cigar cutting.

Enjoy the smoke. BTW, what cigars do you fancy?

I am getting into smoking cigars and have a small plastic pocket sized humidor with a small sponge and three mild cigars. I am wondering if I do not smoke a cigar totally can I save it?

I don't recommend smoking a cigar then putting it out then starting it up later. It hinders the taste. Ideally you should find or make the time to relax and smoke the cigar in one sitting.

This quote from Winston Churchill may guide you, “Smoking cigars is like falling in love. First, you are attracted by its shape; you stay for its flavour, and you must always remember never, never to let the flame go out!”

David

You can save it but not for long (hours). I would not put it back in your portable humidor.
The best thing to do is to cut it before saving.
Check out this thread on cigar cutting.

Enjoy the smoke. BTW, what cigars do you fancy?

That's what I figured and thank you for the link I saw you post (very impressive btw) while doing some research.

As far as what I fancy I am not exactly sure yet I am still trying to figure out what kind of cigar I like. I am guessing I'd like something mild.

So far I've tried an Aurora Connecticut ,Fuente Grand Reserva and a few others that I cannot remember the name of.

I am headed down to the Cigar Bar tomorrow to see if I can find another Aurora Connecticut to see how I feel about that one again. I haven't been overly impressed with what I've tasted thus far although I do have Ashto Cabinet that I am going to try when I have the time to enjoy it.

I don't recommend smoking a cigar then putting it out then starting it up later. It hinders the taste. Ideally you should find or make the time to relax and smoke the cigar in one sitting.

This quote from Winston Churchill may guide you, “Smoking cigars is like falling in love. First, you are attracted by its shape; you stay for its flavour, and you must always remember never, never to let the flame go out!”

David

I appericate the quote David. :001_smile

... yet I am still trying to figure out what kind of cigar I like. I am guessing I'd like something mild

As a newbie I would suggest the following to make your "cigar quest" a pleasant journey:
Focus on country not brands as in cigars that are made in the Dominican Republic (generally mild) then move over to Honduran(generally stronger) etc etc etc.
Relax, when you have a cigar. Sit down after a meal with a good drink like coffee, stout etc etc etc.
And most important, have fun.

David

I am wondering if I do not smoke a cigar totally can I save it?

In general all of the advice I have ever gotten along these lines, an hour is about as long as you can get away with. More then that and the smoke goes sour and unplesent.

In general all of the advice I have ever gotten along these lines, an hour is about as long as you can get away with. More then that and the smoke goes sour and unplesent.

Even some of the petite coronas will last 45 minutes and robustos lasting me about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half. The trick to keeping the cigar from "going sour and unpleasant" is the time between puffs. Generally I will take a puff every minute (which seems to be the time that most people agree with) and discard the cigar when I get into the last third only if it becomes harsh.

But as was said in an above post, relax and have fun. That is what cigar smoking is all about.

DL

What they said...

Plus, if you are looking for a great group of "cigar guys' on the web, you have to check out www.stogiechat.com .

That's how I ended up here. They even have a wetshaving sticky and everything!!!
8^)

Top Bottom