What's new

Chinese Fountain Pen Ink Will Not Flow

I wonder why we are saying "you get what you pay for"? Does this mean that a $4 Fusion blade will shave better over a .15 cent DE blade?

Michael, if you are to heat up the needle will it not possibly melt the little tube or stretch it out, thus causing too much flow?

Hi Rick,

It did cause it to stretch a little (which is kind of what I wanted) as I thought the flow was a bit weak so it is a little thirsty now but a good writer. I usually write on some heavy antique laid paper from Southworth, 32lb paper in ivory which means little feathering at least. It's a heavy pen so I don't use it often for a lot of heavy writing but it is nice for letters and the occasional signature.

I actually like most Chinese made fountain pens (my father and I are leery of products from China at times (and he's from the PRC originally)) but generally, I've found many fountain pens (at least) are decent enough and some of them are works of art. I bought a Baoer, a while back, that was gorgeous (it is meant to look like a Qing Dynasty official in court attire in some ways.

proxy.php

Imagine that as a pen and that's what I have. Solid black body with a gold clip and the black cap just like the official's hat and the red top with a little golden bead at the time.

They may not all be as pleasant as my Parker (particularly my 1940s vintage one from my uncle's private collection, which was a gift to him from an old friend) or my Yard-O-Led, but they're not half bad. I've noticed something interesting, though. Most of the men I know who wet shave are also men who enjoy fountain pens and antique watches (I collect WWI era trench watches and pocket watches). Coincidence? :001_tongu

Hi Rick,

It did cause it to stretch a little (which is kind of what I wanted) as I thought the flow was a bit weak so it is a little thirsty now but a good writer. I usually write on some heavy antique laid paper from Southworth, 32lb paper in ivory which means little feathering at least. It's a heavy pen so I don't use it often for a lot of heavy writing but it is nice for letters and the occasional signature.

I actually like most Chinese made fountain pens (my father and I are leery of products from China at times (and he's from the PRC originally)) but generally, I've found many fountain pens (at least) are decent enough and some of them are works of art. I bought a Baoer, a while back, that was gorgeous (it is meant to look like a Qing Dynasty official in court attire in some ways.

proxy.php

Imagine that as a pen and that's what I have. Solid black body with a gold clip and the black cap just like the official's hat and the red top with a little golden bead at the time.

They may not all be as pleasant as my Parker (particularly my 1940s vintage one from my uncle's private collection, which was a gift to him from an old friend) or my Yard-O-Led, but they're not half bad. I've noticed something interesting, though. Most of the men I know who wet shave are also men who enjoy fountain pens and antique watches (I collect WWI era trench watches and pocket watches). Coincidence? :001_tongu

Yes, it is a coincidence. We don't use film cameras, or have darkrooms, or drive a stick-shift, or collect old hand tools, and we don't sharpen things. I only have one wind-up watch.

I am restoring a couple of fountain pens, one rootbeer swirl Esterbrook in particular.

To the OP, good job shipping your pen off for some work. Good luck.

Hi Rick,

It does cause a bit (I was careful to find an appropriate sized needle from my sewing kit) and I feel it did improve ink flow. In hindsight it was a bit risky but I felt like taking that risk was a gamble worth taking and it paid off with better performance from my pen. Would I do it again? I'm not sure.

I imagine for work you have certain stationary. Other than that, do you have a paper choice? Hey, if ink does clog it, it can be salvaged rather easily with a soak.

Believe it to not, these days I write more on a steno pad than on anything else. That and on the back of documents, and on the front, more to take notes than even edit these days. I do not even find myself writing on legal pads all that often. I guess I also write frequently on a Moleskine pad I carry in my back pocket. Pretty meager amount of writing and pretty meager stationary!

Robbie, I just ordered this Nisstiiv Safety Fountain Pen.

http://www.miranijewelers.com/marlen.htm

I've heard good things about this pen. I will let you know how she writes.

That is very cool. I look forward to hearing about it!

You know, truth be told, I have a Steno pad in my briefcase all the time. I always take them from my mom's when I go to visit. I wish I had perforated pages, but I love the size of them and the paper is quite good. Good enough for me at least. I would like something to hold a tablet this size, maybe down to a 5x8 and my planner. I'll find something.

Of course, my mother can write in shorthand, which, I suppose is why the Greg Ruled Steno pads were developed. I have a Rhodia pad I carry with me in my back pocket. Small 3x3, I think? I like it for quick notes. I have a small journal, pocket size, and to me it's too ackward to write in as it doesn't lay flat enough so it's always getting in my way. I'll fill it up though. I have it dedicated to a certain topic. I've tried the cheaper spiral tablet style pocket notepads for carrying, but the sweat messes them up too quickly. The refillable ones...no thanks. The backing or hardening material creases or breaks. It's nice to always have paper handy. Get an idea, see some place you want to eat on the train ride home (we don't have trains here, but anyway). A song you want to buy you heard. Whatever. I'm not overly partial to Rhoida paper, but the tablet is well constructed. I think I may try one of those field note notebooks when my current notepad empties. Though, I don't THINK they have perforated sheets. Not certain. Not a deal breaker though.

UPDATE: I have the Hero Confucius pen working. I took the nib and feed off, and ran a sharp point down the length of the lengthwise canal in the feed, and reassembled.

I am guessing that there were a few stray pieces of plastic from the manufacture sticking out in to that canal and or any capilateries at the bottm of it.

Great looking pen. Nice writer. [Delete: "Heavy]" Medium ink flow. Medium [delete:"broad"] nib. Smooth.

EDIT: I compared the pens side by side. I would say the Hero Confucious has a narrower nib, and a less prodigous ink flow than the other two. Each one is smooth and nice

rickboone1 has the other pen. I leave it to describe what he has tried!

Last edited:
UPDATE: I have the Hero Confucius pen working. I took the nib and feed off, and ran a sharp point down the length of the lengthwise canal in the feed, and reassembled.

I am guessing that there were a few stray pieces of plastic from the manufacture sticking out in to that canal and or any capilateries at the bottm of it.

Great looking pen. Nice writer. Heavy ink flow. Medium broad nib. Smooth.

rickboone1 has the other pen. I leave it to describe what he has tried!

The other is indeed working. Made from cheap plastics on an injection mold stray parts are bound to end up impeding ink flow. Additionally, I learned smooth plastic repels ink, thus causing more problems. Vintage pens used bakelite or hard rubber and such to make their feeds.

I first got the pen I soaked it. Upon taking it apart I notice the feed had some extra pieces on it. Much like when you take model car parts apart, that little piece left behind from breaking it off the tree.

Gave it a good cleaning to get any residues, films, etc. the factory may have put on there.

I took an Xacto and opened the feed channels a bit.

Inked up and started writing. But, skipping bad. Adjusted the nib (about 23 times) :). Got it going what I thought was good but it just stopped writing.

Little more with the Xacto.

Changed out the converter and went to cartridge. Worked okay. Still wanted to keep stopping.

I then sanded the interior of the section and the feed.

Lastly I had to heat up and form the feed to be better in line with the nib. Now, it seems quite okay. A very flimsy nib and an extremely wet writer. I'm probably going to transplant the feed and nib and replace it with a Sheaffer No Nonsense. I believe these will fit just fine and I have a nice italic nib in the NN. Just have to get some Sheaffer carts. Or, get a good converter.

The pen has great weight and is quite a beauty. This is the first Chinese pen I've had this many problems with. Crazy. But, it was fun fixing it. I know squat about pens so it was fun calling on some resources and educating myself and Robbie at the same time. We had a blast.

It was a lot of fun fooling around with these pens, for sure.

The pens seem to put out a lot of ink, which I like, but I do not have a judgment yet as to whether they are thirsty in the sense of usinng up ink at an obnoxious rate.

Yeah, BrianW gets substantial credit or blame here. I sure wouldn't be taking these things apart, inquiring about conversions to inkdroppers, or have this intense obsession with inks, but for him! And I would not be buying up a bunch of pens--albeit cheap ones from China--but for him.

But I want on the record that I did own and for years used fountain pens, before I started writing nearly exclusively on a computer).:001_smile Also, that I had a big interest in Spencerian script, with the accompanying dip pens, iron inks, etc., although had not done much with actually learning hot to do it!

It was a lot of fun fooling around with these pens, for sure.

The pens seem to put out a lot of ink, which I like, but I do not have a judgment yet as to whether they are thirsty in the sense of usinng up ink at an obnoxious rate.

Yeah, BrianW gets substantial credit or blame here. I sure wouldn't be taking these things apart, inquiring about conversions to inkdroppers, or have this intense obsession with inks, but for him! And I would not be buying up a bunch of pens--albeit cheap ones from China--but for him.

But I want on the record that I did own and for years used fountain pens, before I started writing nearly exclusively on a computer).:001_smile Also, that I had a big interest in Spencerian script, with the accompanying dip pens, iron inks, etc., although had not done much with actually learning hot to do it!

You can do do a decent Spencerian script with a standard fountain pen if you have a flexible nib. Not the easiest thing in the world to find, but do-able.

You can do do a decent Spencerian script with a standard fountain pen if you have a flexible nib. Not the easiest thing in the world to find, but do-able.

Thanks for writing in. Any suggestions as to brands, etc.? It really wasn't/isn't the dip pens and iron inks that is the issue for me and Spencerian script! It is making myself practice.

Thanks for writing in. Any suggestions as to brands, etc.? It really wasn't/isn't the dip pens and iron inks that is the issue for me and Spencerian script! It is making myself practice.

Suggestions for a flexible nib? If so, just this week Noodler's announced their first? Flex nib pen. It is $14 plus shipping. A great deal for flex nib. Goulet pens had some. May have sold out? A couple of other online retailers have had them. Being they were released this week, could have sold out?

For a very good semi flex (some are purported to be true flex) nib in a (to my eye) beautiful pen, without breaking the bank, I would (and have) used a vintage Esterbrook J and a NOS 9048 nib. You might be good to go for about $50.

Top Bottom