What's new

Cheap Usable Blades

Was wondering about your experiences with blades that are cheap but decent enough for 2 or 3 shaves. For me bought in local supermarkets are the Russian Gillette greens @ the equivalent of 25¢ for a tuck of 5 and they are not bad at all for that price.

I buy all of my blades on eBay
The blades that give me the most bangs for my buck are Silver Star Super Stainless
They 're made in the Lord factory in Egypt - the same factory where they make Shark blades and I can get 4 good shaves per blade before they start to dull. Itried getting a 5th shave, and although it was adequate, nick and weeper free, I didn't enjoy it

Confusingly I got mine from a seller in India
http://www.ebay.es/itm/100-PCS-SILV...520582?hash=item33c6bbadc6:g:-PYAAOSwIgNXpxaI
proxy.php

I wouldn't call 100 blades for €7,59 with free shipping from India to Spain "cheap" ..................
I'd call it a bargain !!

One of my favorite blades is the Gillette Wilkinson Sword, made in India. I recently bought 1000 of them on eBay for just over $60. $6 per 100 blades is pretty great!

Wow! That's great longevity Troy.

Yeah, Astra SPs are great that way. I took my last one to 30 shaves and I think it may still have had life in it. It feels really good to get a month of use out of a blade that cost me ten cents.

One of the best things about wet shaving with DEs is the wide variety of good, cheap blades, like Astra SP, Voshkod, Ladas, Israeli Red Personna, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7O'Clock Super Stainless, German Wilkies, and a multitude of others. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I am choosing a new blade.

I just got a pack each of:

Astra SP
Voskhod
Rapira Chrome
Big Ben

I am loving all of them except the Astra SP. The shave was good, but not great. I like the Big Ben blades as well, but they are only good for 3 shaves, then I toss them since they get rough quickly. The real winners are the Voskhod, and Rapira Chrome, they are both awesome, cheap, and give multiple great shaves.

I buy all of my blades on eBay
The blades that give me the most bangs for my buck are Silver Star Super Stainless
They 're made in the Lord factory in Egypt - the same factory where they make Shark blades and I can get 4 good shaves per blade before they start to dull. Itried getting a 5th shave, and although it was adequate, nick and weeper free, I didn't enjoy it

Confusingly I got mine from a seller in India
http://www.ebay.es/itm/100-PCS-SILV...520582?hash=item33c6bbadc6:g:-PYAAOSwIgNXpxaI
proxy.php

I wouldn't call 100 blades for €7,59 with free shipping from India to Spain "cheap" ..................
I'd call it a bargain !!

Silver Stars are my go to blade. They are a great value. :thumbup1:

Another vote for Astra Platinum blades. I paid about $6-7 per carton way back and these are the ones that have the plastic blade containers. These days they are in card board tucks. I`ve got about 2 thousand blades of this stuff astra green packs. I too can get over a month shave per blade and I have used Astra platinum a couple of times for the February one blade for a month event. I am not joking I know someone who have used "one Astra Platinum blade for one year and still going on" :w00t: They were from a tuck I gave him several years ago long forgotten about it until he reminded me of the gift.

All blades available on ebay (with the exception of Feathers that are cheap but not dead cheap) are cheap and usable.

Since blades are the epitome of YMMV you should find the one that suits you best by yourself and not rely on suggestions or reviews.

I always use any brand of blade for 7 shaves and than throw it away.

My absolute favorites after 35+ of DE shaving are the SHARK SS.

Last edited:
Another vote for Astra SP. I would also suggest you try some of the Personna options (these include many store brands).

Top Bottom