What's new

Cellaring tobacco

Is there a sticky or something explaining cellaring tobacco? I get the concept, but how long should it be kept? Do certain tobaccos age longer than others? Is it best to just put it all in a mason jar or equivalent? I would like to start my cellar, but unsure where to start.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I thought there was something in the Gentleman's Guide, but I was unable to put my finger on it just now.

Generally, VA blends, VA/Per, etc benefit greatly from age. The longer the better. Measured in years. A tin of Escudo smoked fresh might make you think perique is vile. Open a two year old tin and it seems a little interesting. Open a ten year old tin and it may change your life. It's important to note that the overwhelming majority of the benefits accrued due to aging are only if the tobacco is sealed and undisturbed (anaerobic aging). Changing out the air in the jar by opening it every so often and you will lose the magic.

Latakia tends to soften some with age, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your tastes. Generally, the flavors become more melded together, and the smoke becomes smoother.

Aromatic blends don't really see a whole lot of benefit from aging, especially the goopy Cavendish based aros. Some of the better ones do age well (some here have noted that Bob's Chocolate Flake is improved with some age, and I don't dispute that).

Most tins make ideal vessels for aging tobacco, although the seals on the square pop-off tins have been known to fail, so remain vigilant. If you're buying bulk, I'd recommend breaking it up into mason jars (I tend to prefer wide mouth pint jars), so that you can open 4 oz or so without disturbing the aging of the rest.

I'll also say that bulk aromatics for me personally, don't age terribly or successfully, they just don't age at all. I have some of my favorite aromatic Sutliff's Z50 Black Cordial that I have 4 ounces left from stock I bought in 2006. It tastes burns and is equal to the same 2 lbs I bought last year.

Best tip for jars, wide mouth and/or straight walled(jelly) jars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Most tins make ideal vessels for aging tobacco, although the seals on the square pop-off tins have been known to fail, so remain vigilant. If you're buying bulk, I'd recommend breaking it up into mason jars (I tend to prefer wide mouth pint jars), so that you can open 4 oz or so without disturbing the aging of the rest.

Question for ya Price, when jarring, do you heat up the jar a little in order to create a vacuum? Or does the tobacco create a vacuum in the jar on it's own?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Question for ya Price, when jarring, do you heat up the jar a little in order to create a vacuum? Or does the tobacco create a vacuum in the jar on it's own?
I am pretty sure most of us don't. It will eventually create its own vacuum.

I did at first, but IMO it's really not worth the hassle. Just make sure you clear any bits of tobacco from the rim and screw the lid down tight. Also, don't reuse lids. They're cheap. Really cheap. I would hate to open a jar of Stonehaven-scented dust in five years because the seal on a reused lid failed.

I did at first, but IMO it's really not worth the hassle. Just make sure you clear any bits of tobacco from the rim and screw the lid down tight. Also, don't reuse lids. They're cheap. Really cheap. I would hate to open a jar of Stonehaven-scented dust in five years because the seal on a reused lid failed.

I'd just sprinkle it on my food and savor it that much more

Also the seals seem to grab the odor from whatever tobacco was stored. So even with short term jar storage don't mix up seals from different tobacco types. But its not an issue with new seals.

Thanks for the info! I did look in the gentleman's guide and searched before asking. I have just recently got into tobacco pipes and see so many people say they wish they had started aging a long time ago. I don't want to say that in a few years, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have just recently got into tobacco pipes and see so many people say they wish they had started aging a long time ago. I don't want to say that in a few years, lol.

wisely.png

Be carefull on aging in tins. The modern lined tins may be ok, bur tins from 20 plus yeas ago may rust out. I recently had to toss several tins from the late 80's because they had rusted out. That was painful.
On the other hand, I recently opend a 1 pound tin from the late 40's that was perfect fine.talk about heaven.... smoking 70 year old tobacco.... awesome.
Al in colorado

So what I can tell, getting the Ball jars would be the best for long term storage? I ask because I see they sell them at Michaels.

Top Bottom